Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 12-22-2009, 09:56 AM   #31
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martlet View Post
I'm late to this topic, but I'll post in case it helps someone with a similar problem.

The Nook apparently won't charge unless it's turned on. It obviously won't turn on if the battery is dead. My nook also arrived DOA, with the battery fully discharged.

I removed the battery, and plugged it into the AC charger with the battery removed. That powered up the nook. I then replaced the battery while the nook was still on, and it accepted the charge. After it was fully charged, it ran normally.
That's kinda crazy. Glad you tried this and it worked for you.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 10:01 PM   #32
KMWing
KMWing doesn't litterKMWing doesn't litter

Device: Kindle2, Nook, Pocket PC
After reading what Martlet had to say about his problem I tried his method on mine. Still no go, definitely D.O.A. UPS says replacement will be here tomorrow.
KMWing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 05:10 PM   #33
KMWing

It finally arrived! And it works! Looks like my troubles are over... well... they did not send any instructions on how and where to send the bad unit back for credit! So the saga continues... looks like more phone calls to listen to more Xmas "on hold" music.

Sigh!
Old 12-23-2009, 05:28 PM   #34
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Cool!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 08:13 PM   #35
stangri
Addict
stangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMWing View Post
He tells me to leave it plugged in 15 minutes BEFORE the charge light works!
Well, congrats on having your problem resolved, but the fully depleted Sony PRS models (at least 500 and 505 afaik) also had same problem when being recharged over mini-USB port. Thankfully, as JSWolf pointed out, they also have an AC plug port which would start recharging them right away.
stangri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 08:29 PM   #36
amgoforth
Groupie
amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2 Kindles, 2 Nooks, 2 Kobos, Ipad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
Wow that stinks I was going to recommend let it sit on charge for a while, since the Sonys when they are fully drained take a while to even show a charge light (which often freaks people out), but clearly you have tried that.

I think the thing that makes that stressful is knowing the minimal stock of the nook that is out there. With Kindle, Amazon is always good even if their stock is low, and even though Sony's support stinks, it's easy enough to take it to the place you bought it and swap it for a new one.

I hope B&N helps you out, and quickly!!
As much as I hate to admit it, maybe Amazon is 1,000 times a better company. I have used B&N for years to buy pbooks, but I will never buy anything from them ever again.
amgoforth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 01:23 PM   #37
jasonkchapman
Guru
jasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it is

Device: Sony Reader, nook, Droid, nookColor, nookTablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by amgoforth View Post
I have used B&N for years to buy pbooks, but I will never buy anything from them ever again.
Really? Why? Because they replaced a DOA unit?
jasonkchapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 01:48 PM   #38
Connallmac
Transplanted NYer
Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD 8.9", Kindle Fire HD 7", Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonkchapman View Post
Really? Why? Because they replaced a DOA unit?
You shouldn't have to jump through that many hoops to have a brand new defective item replaced. This is a customer service FAIL.

When I went home for Thanksgiving my mother was having trouble with the wireless on her K2. I played with it a couple of times and I was unable to resove the issue on my own. I got on to her "Manage My Kindle" page and requested a call from a CS rep. The call came through about 30 seconds later and I spoke directly to a rep. He and I went through several things together, most of which I had tried on my own, and then he said we'll ship out a new replacement. This was a Saturday evening, the new Kindle arrived on Tuesday morning. Keep in mind this was K2 that my mother had had since July. They gave us no run around, no hassle, they just made it right and did so quickly!
Connallmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 02:30 PM   #39
KMWing

Latest update. I called and asked them for information on sending the bad unit bad. They said I would get an email withing 48 hours with a label. They also gave me an RMA number. I received an email a little while ago re-stating the rma number and a address to send it to. No "prepaid" label. Looks like I will have to pay to ship it back if I want to stop them from changing my CC.

I feel they should have send a prepaid UPS label, which is what I though he meant when he said they were sending a label. I think I will wait until tomorrow, maybe I will get one for Xmas!
Old 12-24-2009, 02:57 PM   #40
KMWing

Hey! They must have been reading my mind, or this thread. I just received the prepaid shipping label! So it looks like the tale will end on an up note. I will be shipping it back as soon as I can get it packaged and down to the UPS store.

I look on this as just learning pains on their side. It is a complex situation for them I am sure and in the end every thing turned out good.

Merry Christmas everyone!
Old 12-24-2009, 02:58 PM   #41
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I feel you should just be able to take your dead nook and the RMA number to a shop and hand it in instead of sending it in.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 05:48 PM   #42
binkman71
Enthusiast
binkman71 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.binkman71 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.binkman71 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.binkman71 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-505; nook
You will be able to return nooks to stores once the stores actually have them. I returned the cover I preordered to a local store and exchanged it for another.

That said, the biggest failure on B&N's part with the nook is their severe under-estimate of the demand. The second biggest failure is their customer service not really understanding what to do (in any aspect, from simple questions to returns like KMWing had to go through) with an electronics device. The customer service issue will hopefully be re-evaluated and fixed once the preorders are all fulfilled...which is now estimated to be in February.

As for everything else, seems to be going fine, in my opinion. They even released the first software update that has improved things quite a bit (still not fully there yet, but I'm sure more updates are coming).

Enjoy your nook, KMWing! I certainly like mine.

K.
binkman71 is offline   Reply With Quote