Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 12-10-2009, 06:34 AM   #1
KMWing
KMWing doesn't litterKMWing doesn't litter

Device: Kindle2, Nook, Pocket PC
D.O.A.

I received my Nook the other day, after they sent it to the wrong address, and I plugged the charger in to charge it as It said to do but no charge light! Tried the adapter and a PC, no good. Attempted to turn it on, no good!

Called support, they could not determine the cause so they promised to send me a new battery. Just guessing they were. I think the unit is bad but we will see.

In the mean time I have my Kindle 2 and my Pocket PCs so I will have plenty of reading to keep me occupied while waiting to get my Nook up and running.

Anyone else have this problem?
KMWing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 09:10 AM   #2
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
You could always stay entertained by being a type of reporter and compare the K2 and Nook with tons of pictures
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-10-2009, 09:12 AM   #3
Propheous
Connoisseur
Propheous has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Propheous has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Propheous has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Propheous has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMWing View Post
I received my Nook the other day, after they sent it to the wrong address, and I plugged the charger in to charge it as It said to do but no charge light! Tried the adapter and a PC, no good. Attempted to turn it on, no good!

Called support, they could not determine the cause so they promised to send me a new battery. Just guessing they were. I think the unit is bad but we will see.

In the mean time I have my Kindle 2 and my Pocket PCs so I will have plenty of reading to keep me occupied while waiting to get my Nook up and running.

Anyone else have this problem?
I was reading on B&N websites about one gentleman who had this problem. He reseated his battery and the unit began to recharge. You might want to try taking the battery out and putting it back in to make sure it was seated corrected.
Propheous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 10:42 AM   #4
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
just a thought, but the guide says it has to be "on" in order to charge......?
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 01:27 PM   #5
Propheous
Connoisseur
Propheous has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Propheous has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Propheous has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Propheous has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
just a thought, but the guide says it has to be "on" in order to charge......?
It automatically turns on when you attach the ac adapter to charge. So if he used that it should have come on.
Propheous is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-11-2009, 05:47 AM   #6
KMWing

I did remove the battery to inspect it, after talking to support and them promising to send a new one, and also checked it with a volt meter. It only had 3.5 volts on one set of contacts. I am not sure if all the contacts should have a reading though.

This is just another problem with proprietary batteries. You are dependent on the OEM for them, at least initially.

Still waiting for my replacement battery.
Old 12-14-2009, 12:43 PM   #7
KMWing

Just an update on my problems with the Nook. I received a replacement battery for the Nook today and as I thought it did not make any difference. No charge light, will not turn on and will not charge.

I am currently listening to the Xmas music on the Nook support line. More to come...
Old 12-14-2009, 01:24 PM   #8
KMWing

Waited 5 minutes until some one answered and they then transfered me to someone else... 15 minutes later they answer. He tells me to leave it plugged in 15 minutes BEFORE the charge light works! Now what is the use in having a charge light that does not light when charging! So I will do it... who wants to be it will work after 3 hours?!
Old 12-14-2009, 02:02 PM   #9
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
KMWing, Thank you for coming back to update us. We all learn from members who post problems and their possible solutions.

Please continue to update us and Good Luck on getting this solved.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 06:26 PM   #10
KMWing

I left it on the charger for 4 hours, it did not charge and the light did not come on. So once again I called the support folks. After numerous holds they reluctantly decided I had a bad unit. They gave me two options. Send it back and they send a new one or give them a CC number and they will send one right away then I send the old one back and they cancel the CC. I chose to do it the quick way and gave them a CC number. The guy said he was sending instructions via e-mail right away. That was almost 1 hour ago and I have not received one yet.

I hope I receive the replacement this week... more to come.
Old 12-14-2009, 08:53 PM   #11
binkman71
Enthusiast
binkman71 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.binkman71 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.binkman71 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.binkman71 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-505; nook
DOA Nook

Check out the above. The reader is still awaiting his email and such as well.

K.
binkman71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 08:53 PM   #12
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMWing View Post
I left it on the charger for 4 hours, it did not charge and the light did not come on. So once again I called the support folks. After numerous holds they reluctantly decided I had a bad unit. They gave me two options. Send it back and they send a new one or give them a CC number and they will send one right away then I send the old one back and they cancel the CC. I chose to do it the quick way and gave them a CC number. The guy said he was sending instructions via e-mail right away. That was almost 1 hour ago and I have not received one yet.

I hope I receive the replacement this week... more to come.
wait! what!!!????

they want you to buy an brand new one to replace the defective one!!!???

whoooo boy!
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 08:54 PM   #13
binkman71
Enthusiast
binkman71 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.binkman71 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.binkman71 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.binkman71 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-505; nook
You misread, kindlekitten. They take your card number in case you never send the bad one back. If that happens, they charge you for the replacement.

K.
binkman71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 09:20 PM   #14
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
wait! what!!!????

they want you to buy an brand new one to replace the defective one!!!???

whoooo boy!
It's kinda standard practice these days for them to send out a replacement before they receive the defective one. I did this for the battery for my Acer Netbook that failed in the first few weeks or use.

I got the new battery, shipped the old one back and the CC was never charged.

(it would have been if they had not received the bad battery in time).
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 09:34 PM   #15
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Wow that stinks I was going to recommend let it sit on charge for a while, since the Sonys when they are fully drained take a while to even show a charge light (which often freaks people out), but clearly you have tried that.

I think the thing that makes that stressful is knowing the minimal stock of the nook that is out there. With Kindle, Amazon is always good even if their stock is low, and even though Sony's support stinks, it's easy enough to take it to the place you bought it and swap it for a new one.

I hope B&N helps you out, and quickly!!
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote