Notices

Old 03-25-2010, 09:27 AM   #1
fulanito_uk
fulanito_uk began at the beginning.

Device: none
looking for some advice.. (PDF)

Dear All,

-forgive me if i have posted in the wrong area-

Some time ago I asked if there was any ereader that could handle pDf's well the response was pretty negative. Does this still stand or have their been advances? I fly a lot of flight simulators on my pc which have 100+ page pdf manuals so i think it makes sense to invest in one of these gadgets instead of printing which i guess will work out more expensive over time. Is their any good pdf Ereader out there? i was thinking about the "Bookeen Cybook Gen 3 eBook Reader"

the kind of pdf and images can be seen below.
http://www.scribd.com/doc/2327687/PM...l-EGLL-to-KLAX

Thanks for your time
fulanito_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 10:06 AM   #2
ChrisC333
Groupie
ChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it is

Device: Acer eM250 Netbook, iTouch, iRiver Story, HP TM2 Tablet
Hi,

I'm no expert but my guess would be that many of the E-ink readers screens would be too small to give a really clear view of complete charts and tables in quite the way you'd like. The Kindle DX looks a better size, but still lacks the colour that would really help with those screen-shot photos and even some diagrams that use colour.

I have a small notebook/netbook computer that cost very little which I use as an ebook reader and it could work OK for that. I can rotate the whole screen display 90 degrees and then hold it like a regular hard-back book to read. It could free stand on the desk like that, next to the main screen. Scrolling could be done either by tapping a key or clicking an attached mouse.

Might just be a possibility worth checking out anyway.

Cheers,

Chris
ChrisC333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-25-2010, 10:22 AM   #3
charleski
Wizard
charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
For your particular use it would seem that a larger screen with colour is more important than battery life and the ability to read in a range of environments, which suggests an LCD device. As Chris said, a small netbook or an iPad would probably be the best choice.
charleski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 10:36 AM   #4
ChrisC333
Groupie
ChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it is

Here's what I had in mind.

It's an Acer eM250 with a 10" screen. Cheap as chips. It cost me about the same as my E-ink reader but is far more versatile if, as charleski said, long battery life etc isn't an issue.

Click for a closer view
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fly01.jpg
Views:	513
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	48667   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fly03.jpg
Views:	535
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	48668  

Last edited by ChrisC333; 03-25-2010 at 10:44 AM. Reason: Added info
Old 03-25-2010, 01:34 PM   #5
fulanito_uk

thanks guys... I have a samsung Q1 and the laptop i'm using right now is a tablet so i think i can use it as you have... I guess I was looking for a reason to buy a new toy. Thanks again
Advert
Old 03-25-2010, 03:46 PM   #6
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fulanito_uk View Post
Dear All,

-forgive me if i have posted in the wrong area-

Some time ago I asked if there was any ereader that could handle pDf's well the response was pretty negative. Does this still stand or have their been advances? I fly a lot of flight simulators on my pc which have 100+ page pdf manuals so i think it makes sense to invest in one of these gadgets instead of printing which i guess will work out more expensive over time. Is their any good pdf Ereader out there? i was thinking about the "Bookeen Cybook Gen 3 eBook Reader"

the kind of pdf and images can be seen below.
http://www.scribd.com/doc/2327687/PM...l-EGLL-to-KLAX

Thanks for your time
IREX sell their DR1000 and DR800 to the aviation industry where the are re-badged, loaded with different software, and sold as Portable Aviation Information Managers. See here for info.
TGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 06:38 PM   #7
ChrisC333
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGS View Post
IREX sell their DR1000 and DR800 to the aviation industry where the are re-badged, loaded with different software, and sold as Portable Aviation Information Managers. See here for info.
Good find.

It definitely looks the part, and it could even be strapped on the knee/thigh like the pads/boards that are apparently used by some pilots.

Presumably they're still not colour, and the price is pretty stiff. But when you really want a new toy it's often not the price that's the clincher, it's finding the right excuse to buy... That could be a contender.
Old 03-25-2010, 07:02 PM   #8
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC333 View Post
Good find.

That could be a contender.
I wouldn't want to be paying Solid FX's prices though - just buy a regular DR and load your own manuals!

Last edited by TGS; 03-25-2010 at 07:05 PM.
TGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 06:02 AM   #9
fulanito_uk

Thanks those readers look amazing but a little out of my price range
Old 03-26-2010, 06:59 AM   #10
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
@fulanito_uk

I have to agree with chrisC333. I have a netbook (see sig) and find that it is a good reader
(including PDF's with Foxit reader), plus I run Photoshop, iTunes, MS Office, emulators, ton's of other things... and of course web and email. They are also comparable in price to standard ereaders, and cheaper than the larger screen ones.. ... (mine was $329)..... with a 10" screen.

Anyway, I know you seem to be looking for a dedicated reader, but without a doubt a netbook would fit yours needs....
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 10:03 AM   #11
gastan
Addict
gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: LePan II, Kobo Aura
How about a used Motion Computing slate like this one on eBay?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Motion-M1400-tab...item4a9fa9599e

12" (30.7cm) screen, stylus touch screen, 1.1Ghz Centrino CPU, 40G HD, Win TabletPC OS, wifi, etc..

This is just one example. More available in different price ranges. My brother just bought one off eBay and it is in wonderful condition and works great. I think his winning bid was US$240 -- still cheaper than a large screen e-reader.

edit:
Here is a slate on the UK eBay site. Different model but still a 12.1" screen, 1.5Ghz CPU, 30G HD, on board wifi, etc.. £179 plus shipping.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MOTION-COMPUTI...item53e0628d12

Last edited by gastan; 03-26-2010 at 12:09 PM. Reason: added content
gastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 11:13 PM   #12
DawnFalcon
Banned
DawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with others

Device: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bremen Cole View Post
Anyway, I know you seem to be looking for a dedicated reader, but without a doubt a netbook would fit yours needs....
Equally, if you wait for the Summer, the slate-version of those netbooks, the EeePad and so on will be here. So if you want the slate format, but epaper and battery life are not your primary concern...wait 3 months, then come back.
DawnFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 12:03 AM   #13
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC333 View Post
Presumably they're still not colour, and the price is pretty stiff. But when you really want a new toy it's often not the price that's the clincher, it's finding the right excuse to buy... That could be a contender.
If you want color consider the iPad.

You might also want to look at the Edge... which has a b&w eInk screen and a Color LCD screen.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote