Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 11-11-2005, 02:15 PM   #1
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Ask our readers: What do you use your mobile device for?

Today we're asking you to tell us what three things you use your mobile device for the most.

According to the Daily Press, "One reason most people don't understand or 'get' PDAs is because they are still marketed as business devices. Sure, you can use them to keep up with your schedule and contacts when you are away from the office. But that's bland and boring for the young and hip crowd (and those who still want to be young and hip). People just don't see them as being fun."

The top three uses for my Treo 650 are:
1) Organization/PIM
2) Ebook reader
3) Phone

Close runner-ups are audiobooks, music, podcasts, old time radio broadcasts and reading web clippings.

How about you?
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 03:29 PM   #2
Laurens
Jah Blessed
Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.

Device: iPod Touch
1) News reading
2) Internet radio
3) PIM

The only thing I think would be considered "hip" is internet radio.
Laurens is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-11-2005, 03:41 PM   #3
MrSaint
Little Computer Guy
MrSaint knows what time it isMrSaint knows what time it isMrSaint knows what time it isMrSaint knows what time it isMrSaint knows what time it isMrSaint knows what time it isMrSaint knows what time it isMrSaint knows what time it isMrSaint knows what time it isMrSaint knows what time it isMrSaint knows what time it is

Device: Treo 650 + iPaq
1) E-Book reading (85%)
2) Audiobook listening (5%)
3) MP3 (music) listening (5%)
4) Video watching (5%)

Funny enough, my PIM is empty.
MrSaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 04:13 PM   #4
captainao
Enthusiast
captainao could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.captainao could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.captainao could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.captainao could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.captainao could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.captainao could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.captainao could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.captainao could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.captainao could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.captainao could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.captainao could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Axim x51v;T|X;NX73;SEK750
1)news reading (iSilo)
2)PIM - calendar/tasks/e-mail (KeySuite/Iambic Mail)
3a)MP3 player
3b)Games
captainao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 04:42 PM   #5
geekaren
geek
geekaren can read with one handgeekaren can read with one handgeekaren can read with one handgeekaren can read with one handgeekaren can read with one handgeekaren can read with one handgeekaren can read with one handgeekaren can read with one handgeekaren can read with one handgeekaren can read with one handgeekaren can read with one hand

Device: Oasis (1&2), Voyage, Kindle Touch, iPad Mini 4
Top uses for my Treo:
1) Organizer/PIM
2) News alerts (SMS)
3) Phone

and then...
4) Mobile tv (mobitv)
5) Camera/video
6) Web/email
7) Streaming Internet radio
8) Audiobook listening

I couldn't stop at just 3 -- it's such a versatile device!
geekaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-11-2005, 04:50 PM   #6
bsquare
bsquare knows what time it isbsquare knows what time it isbsquare knows what time it isbsquare knows what time it isbsquare knows what time it isbsquare knows what time it isbsquare knows what time it isbsquare knows what time it isbsquare knows what time it isbsquare knows what time it isbsquare knows what time it is

1) News Reading (Sunrise)
2) Games (to many to name)
3) MP3 - when the iPod's battery dies
4) Downloaded TV Shows from ReplayTV
5) Photo Viewer - great when visiting Family to show latest photos
6) PIM/Address

I currently have 2 palms T3 and TX so I get 6.....

News reading has always been tops on the list since the PalmIII days (Avantgo), recently Sunrise has opened it up even further (thanks Laurens!) but the new Palm TX has opened the door for better recorded TV Viewing and photo viewing. But all this is possible because we now are finally getting big, fat SD cards (looking forward to getting that 4gb SD next spring)
bsquare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 07:10 PM   #7
Colin Dunstan
Is papyrophobic!
Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Dell Axim
1) E-book reading (iSilo / eReader)
2) News reading (iSilo / NetFront)
3) Movie playing (TCPMP)

I'd like to use Sunrise, but I found the PPC version of Plucker (Vade Mecum) to be lacking in comparison with iSilo (in particular lack of performance).
Colin Dunstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 07:14 PM   #8
morituri
Enthusiast
morituri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morituri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morituri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morituri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morituri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morituri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morituri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morituri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morituri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morituri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morituri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6, iPad Air, Kindle PW2, Kindle HD
Just three? Since my Treo 650 does "everything" for me, I'll cheat a little:

1. Communication (voice calls, SMS, email)
2. Information (rss feeds, web browsing, documents and database access)
3. Entertainment (ebook reading, games, etc)
morituri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 07:18 PM   #9
Brian
MobileRead Editor
Brian has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Treo 700p, Zodiac2
Treo 600 (Primary PDA)
1. PIM
2. Voice

Zodiac 2
1. Games
2. Video/Movies (TCPMP)
3. Digital camera companion
4. Navigation/GPS (Mapopolis w/ Bluetooth GPS)
5. Web clipping (Sunrise/Plucker)
6. Web/Email tablet
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 01:40 PM   #10
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
UX50:

1. eBook reading (MobiPocket, primarily)
2. PIM/Calendar (stock PalmOS applet)
3. PIM/Address&Phone# (stock PalmOS applet)
4. PIM/Notes (stock PalmOS applet & Sony's camera applet)
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 02:32 PM   #11
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Axim X50v:

1. E-books (iSilo, sometimes eReader)
2. PIM
3. Movie playing (mostly movies converted by myself)
4. Internet (NetFront, built-in IMAP mail client)
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 05:19 PM   #12
rmeister0
Addict
rmeister0 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmeister0 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmeister0 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

1. Contacts
2. Lists (action items, shopping lists, dvd I already own so I don't buy them *again*...)
3. eBooks, occasionally.
rmeister0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 09:38 PM   #13
saracen480
troll
saracen480 began at the beginning.

Device: Nokia 6630
err....not as advanced as some of you guys...ive only got a lowly nokia 6630, but i use it for
1..ebooks
2. game playing
3. scheduler
4. phone

rgrds
rob
saracen480 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 05:40 PM   #14
cbarnett
MR prodigal son
cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Axim X50v as well, and in order of most use/importance:

1. Ebooks (µbook primarily)
2. MP3 playing (Mortplayer and GSPlayer)
3. Movies and other stuff (TCPMP of course, nothing else compares)
4. Net browsing wirelessly at home from my armchair (PIE with MultiIE)
5. Work tool (Codewallet Pro for secure passwords and other notes, Textmaker, SpreadCE
6. PIM (mainly calender and tasks, I keep all my contacts encrypted in Codewallet)
7. Games (too many to mention, includes emulated games, ie DOS, NES, SNES, AppleII, C64 and Spectrum)
8. Shopping lists (Handyshopper)
cbarnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 01:29 AM   #15
derekweb
Groupie
derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Palm Treo 700p & iPaq hx2755
Before my T3 died, and now with my ipaq (yes, they can actually DO THE SAME THING!):
1) PIM (Calender / Address Book / To Do lists)
2) Web Browsing when away from home.
3) Watching movies and DVDs (converted of course from my OWN DVDs)
4) Listening to Music
5) Games, including Mahjongg, Space Invaders, Yatzee, Solitaire, Euchre, and Bejeweled
6) Astronomy (I still use my wife's Zodiac 2 for this, since she's got the astronomy software paid and loaded)
7) Geneology (I use MYROOTS for this, pretty good when away from home. Though, the Palm Platform is WAY better developed than ANY of the PPC software)
8) Mobile Calculator (scientific and Body Fat since it matters to the Army).
9) Image viewing (portable picture wallet of my wife, family and friends).
10) Productivity (Word Processing, Spreadsheet, Mortgage Calculator, etc)
11) Password Security Vault (Egads, having over 60+ passwords?! Can't keep it all straight in my own head. Encrypt the database and use one master password to gather them all together, and in the darkness, bind th... ... *cough* excuse me, wrong movie).
12) ebook reading (iSilo is primary reader, with eReader as secondary)
13) Cant remember this last thing. Might get back if I can recall it specifically. I use my device just too much for everything nowadays. That is why switching over from Palm to PPC was so traumatic and painful. And very, very expensive.

Last edited by derekweb; 11-14-2005 at 01:31 AM.
derekweb is offline   Reply With Quote