Notices

Old 03-23-2024, 12:24 AM   #1
KarlG
Enthusiast
KarlG began at the beginning.

Device: none
Feature Request(s)

Hello Everyone,

I'm a long-time Sigil user, and as many others have said, really appreciate the ongoing effort to maintain and improve it.

I'd like to make two feature requests.

1. Please expand the number of clips that can be saved. Clips are one of my favourite things and I've now reached the limit of 40!! :-) Actually, maybe the clip toolbar could be enhanced as well to use the full width of the window, because at the moment (at least on my system and I'm usually up to date with the latest release from git) I now have two clips toolbars, each only filled about 50%.

2. Could we have an option to disable the tooltips? I know they can be very useful, but when there's a lot of text it's quite disconcerting (well for me anyway) to suddenly see a huge block of text with a yellow background! :-)

Thanks
KarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2024, 09:24 AM   #2
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
1. As for more than 40 clips, that limit is only set for the number of clip icons. Have you tried using the Clips Window. It has no limit.

As for toolbars themselves, you can move, concatenate, and resize them by dragging and dropping each toolbar segment separator. That can be used to save lots of space, hide unused toolbars, etc.

2. Which tooltips specifically are we talking about? What huge block of text?

Last edited by KevinH; 03-23-2024 at 10:14 AM.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-23-2024, 03:35 PM   #3
KarlG
Enthusiast

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for the quick reply.

Let me then change my request. Could you please increase the number of clip icons, and also adjust the toolbar to use the full width of the window?

I've attached a couple of screenshots to better explain what I mean. As you can see, the clip icons only take up around half of the toolbar.

The second screenshot shows the popup when I mouseover the 'Alle HTML Dateien' selector.

Rgds

Karl
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	toolbars.png
Views:	36
Size:	23.2 KB
ID:	207101   Click image for larger version

Name:	popup.png
Views:	50
Size:	192.1 KB
ID:	207102  
Old 03-23-2024, 03:53 PM   #4
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I am confused ... What platform are you using?

You control the width of the toolbars. If a toolbar is too long, shrink it and place another beside it on the same line. If you have all 20 clips icons in a line, it should fill up the toolbar.

And where is that tooltip coming from? It looks like the description of the Find and Replace targets. Is that the one? Is this in the Find and Replace Dialog or is it Saved Searches Dialog?

And if you do not want the tooltip, why bother hovering over it? Most tooltips are quite short. That one must be the worst case.

Turning off tooltips is probably not a good thing for general users. But we could hide that one under a pop-up ""Help" menu of some sort.

Last edited by KevinH; 03-23-2024 at 04:02 PM.
Old 03-23-2024, 04:40 PM   #5
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
. . .
And where is that tooltip coming from? It looks like the description of the Find and Replace targets. Is that the one? Is this in the Find and Replace Dialog or is it Saved Searches Dialog?

And if you do not want the tooltip, why bother hovering over it? Most tooltips are quite short. That one must be the worst case.

Turning off tooltips is probably not a good thing for general users. But we could hide that one under a pop-up ""Help" menu of some sort.
It's from here:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2024-03-24 072642.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	179.3 KB
ID:	207103

On Windows, Sigil's tooltips persist until the pointer is moved, in most applications (including other Qt applications) they disappear after a few seconds - sometimes too few.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-23-2024, 04:56 PM   #6
KarlG
Enthusiast

I am using Linux. I think there's still some confusion about what I mean with the toolbars. If you look at the screenshot, you can see that the toolbars are the full width of the window. That's fine. What I mean is, that the clip icons only take up the first half of the toolbar.

There are two clip toolbars, each with 20 clip icons. I haven't been able to find a way to increase the number of clip icons on each toolbar. As soon as I created the 21st clip, the icon appeared on the second toolbar and each one thereafter.
Old 03-23-2024, 05:29 PM   #7
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
They only take up half the window because that's all the space needed to display 20 clips. 20 is the limit. More (with the necessary keyboard shortcut coding) is not really feasible. As mentioned, the Clips Widget has no limit.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2024, 05:43 PM   #8
KarlG
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
They only take up half the window because that's all the space needed to display 20 clips. 20 is the limit. More (with the necessary keyboard shortcut coding) is not really feasible. As mentioned, the Clips Widget has no limit.
Ah ok, so if I understand you correctly the number of clips is unlimited, but it's only possible to show a maximum of 20 per toolbar..

Shame.

I'm not a coder, but I have a lot if IT experience. Could you tell me where this is defined in the source code? Might be an interesting project for me to play around with.
Old 03-23-2024, 06:14 PM   #9
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'll post some links to the relevant source code if you try using the clips dockwidget instead of the toolbars.
Old 03-23-2024, 06:26 PM   #10
KevinH
Sigil Developer

There are two different clips toolbars. The first toolbar is for clips icons from 1-20.
The second toolbar is for clips icons 21-40. If 20 do not fill up the first toolbar, then resize it to fit. Then do the same with the second clips toolbar. Then grab the second clips toolbar and move it to the end of the first clips toolbar to save vertical space if you so desire.

Last edited by KevinH; 03-23-2024 at 06:31 PM.
Old 03-23-2024, 06:32 PM   #11
KarlG
Enthusiast

Quote:
Those are two different toolbars. The first toolbar is for clips icons from 1-20.
The second toolbar is for clips icons 21-40. If 20 do not fill up the first toolbar, then resize it to fit. Then do the same with the second clips toolbar. Then grab the second clips toolbar and move it to the end of the first clips toolbar to save vertical space if you so desire.
Might be difficult, but I'd rather play around with the source code and see if I can get the toolbar to take more than 20 clips
Old 03-23-2024, 06:45 PM   #12
KevinH
Sigil Developer

I find it truly hard to believe there are more than 40 clips you use so often that you need icons for them given you can access them all if you open the Clips Window.

But either way, check out the clips related code in:
main.ui, MainWindow.cpp, and ClipsWindow.cpp, ClipEditorModel.cpp, ClipEditorTreeView.cpp, ClipEditor.cpp and their header files.

main.ui defines the toolbars, MainWindow.cpp controls the toolbars that are viewable, and builds the clips toolbars on the fly and connects their signals and slots. The others define the clip structure and how users create them, and access them, etc.

Have fun! That is what opensource is all about.

Last edited by KevinH; 03-23-2024 at 06:47 PM.
Old 03-23-2024, 06:56 PM   #13
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
It's from here:

Attachment 207103

On Windows, Sigil's tooltips persist until the pointer is moved, in most applications (including other Qt applications) they disappear after a few seconds - sometimes too few.

BR
Thanks. It is in Find and Replace then. I had no idea tooltips would stay so long on Windows. I will take a shot at shrinking that tooltip down to something like: "select the target files for the search" in a future release.
Old 03-23-2024, 07:03 PM   #14
KarlG
Enthusiast

Quote:
I find it truly hard to believe there are more than 40 clips you use so often that you need icons for them given you can access them all if you open the Clips Window.

But either way, check out the clips related code in:
main.ui, MainWindow.cpp, and ClipsWindow.cpp, ClipEditorModel.cpp, ClipEditorTreeView.cpp, ClipEditor.cpp and their header files.

main.ui defines the toolbars, MainWindow.cpp controls the toolbars that are viewable, and builds the clips toolbars on the fly and connects their signals and slots. The others define the clip structure and how users create them, and access them, etc.

Have fun! That is what opensource is all about.
Thank you, I will!

Could you also tell me where the code is for the mouseover popups? I'm thinking about trying to create a preference, something like 'show tooltips'.
Old 03-23-2024, 07:26 PM   #15
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlG View Post
Could you also tell me where the code is for the mouseover popups? I'm thinking about trying to create a preference, something like 'show tooltips'.
Some are in the ui files, some are in cpp files associated with the ui files. There is no one place. There's thousands of places. A preference setting to enable/disable them all isn't very likely to be a trivial task, but you're welcome to try.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 03-23-2024 at 07:29 PM.