Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Server

Notices

Old 04-08-2023, 05:56 AM   #1
Comfy.n
want to learn what I want
Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Calibre E-book viewer
Various Issues

Just a random idea that occurred to me. When doing FTS from a desktop browser, through the Content Server, there are only two options upon clicking the results snippets: 1) one can click the book format link, to read the book within the browser, which opens in the page that contains the result, highlighting it; or 2) "Reindex the book".

Could these new link options be added? Pic below is what I see when I click a result in Content Server FTS:

Click image for larger version

Name:	MWSnap 2023-04-08, 06_35_13.png
Views:	120
Size:	8.5 KB
ID:	200868

calibre://book-details/ - I think this one could be opened, if possible, within the browser.

As for calibre://show-book/ and calibre://view-book/, I'd personally prefer them to send me back to Calibre Program/ Internal Viewer.

Last edited by Comfy.n; 04-08-2023 at 07:28 PM.
Comfy.n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2023, 08:26 AM   #2
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comfy.n View Post
Just a random idea that occurred to me. When doing FTS from a desktop browser, through the Content Server, there are only two options upon clicking the results snippets: 1) one can click the book format link, to read the book within the browser, which opens in the page that contains the result, highlighting it; or 2) "Reindex the book".

Could these new link options be added? Pic below is what I see when I click a result in Content Server FTS:

Attachment 200868

calibre://book-details/ - I think this one could be opened, if possible, within the browser.

As for calibre://show-book/ and calibre://view-book/, I'd personally prefer to send me back to Calibre Program/ Internal Viewer.
Kovid made changes to show the links in the content server. They apparently aren't working. I suggest you open a bug report.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-08-2023, 06:39 PM   #3
Comfy.n
Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
Kovid made changes to show the links in the content server. They apparently aren't working. I suggest you open a bug report.
Just a heads up, in case this is relevant: I'm not able to start Content Server from current github source. Message is shown below:

Name:	MWSnap 2023-04-08, 19_15_16.png
Views:	99
Size:	11.0 KB
ID:	200887

I had an old archive from 6.7.1 source, so I tested running from that one and server starts fine..
Old 04-09-2023, 12:37 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Just a heads up, in case this is relevant: I'm not able to start Content Server from current github source. Message is shown below:

Attachment 200887

I had an old archive from 6.7.1 source, so I tested running from that one and server starts fine..
I cant reproduce and I dont see how it could be caused by these changes. Something unusual you are running? plugins?
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2023, 01:17 AM   #5
Comfy.n

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
I cant reproduce and I dont see how it could be caused by these changes. Something unusual you are running? plugins?
Hi Kovid! Glad you're fine today.

well, thankfully the first thing I tried after your reply was "Restart ignoring third party plugins", and that was it. Now I'm running from current source and able to start content server.

anyway, I just wanted to take a peek at current state of Content Server as in source, and didn't spot any difference from official latest 6.15.1 release.

I have just recently updated many plugins all at once, something I know it's not really advisable.

Last edited by Comfy.n; 04-09-2023 at 01:23 AM.
Advert
Old 04-09-2023, 01:51 AM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
They work fine, they are visible in the book details page on the server. OP is talking of something else.
Old 04-09-2023, 01:52 AM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

I can certainly add a link to open the book details page though I am not sure I understand why you would want to go to the book details page from a FTS result.
Old 04-09-2023, 02:41 AM   #8
Comfy.n

Quote:
I can certainly add a link to open the book details page though I am not sure I understand why you would want to go to the book details page from a FTS result.
sure, I knew someone might ask as well "Why don't you just do FTS in Calibre Program" but, as I use context menu within the browser to do most of my web searches, if I had the facility to open book details on a new tab, I wouldn't need to switch back and forth to Calibre and copy something -- for instance, some text in comments field from the book.

BTW it's awesome to do Calibre Searches from the browser, either with https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...alibre-search/ or using the content server URL with one of the many context search add-ons available.

And ideally, i'd like to see a regular link such as calibre://book-details/_hex_-xxx/####, not a "javascript:void", so that I could just right-click it to open in new tabs, as I use this add-on https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...n/right-links/...

Anyway, I'm aware that the Content Server is to be used also on mobile systems, so this right-clicking use doesn't fit their case.

I'm sure this explanation doesn't cover all factors, but it's what I can remember :P

edit: screenshots attached to somewhat illustrate the use case
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	MWSnap 2023-04-09, 03_04_23.png
Views:	67
Size:	22.3 KB
ID:	200893   Click image for larger version

Name:	MWSnap 2023-04-08, 19_01_13.png
Views:	63
Size:	15.3 KB
ID:	200894  

Last edited by Comfy.n; 04-09-2023 at 05:56 AM.
Old 04-09-2023, 04:29 AM   #9
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
They work fine, they are visible in the book details page on the server. OP is talking of something else.
I didn't notice that it was the FTS dialog.

That said, calibre:// links in the link field are not displayed as links in the content server. I don't know if they should be or can be.
Old 04-09-2023, 05:43 AM   #10
Comfy.n

Now i think a more descriptive title for the topic could be "FTS results snippets - adding latest enhancements of Calibre URL scheme"

As for server not starting when running from current source, in my case, it *seems* related to Action Chains PI. But could be something on my end. I just use its basic actions/modules, so...
Old 04-09-2023, 10:26 AM   #11
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Quote:
I didn't notice that it was the FTS dialog.

That said, calibre:// links in the link field are not displayed as links in the content server. I don't know if they should be or can be.
Yes only http and https links are allowed. Browsers dont support arbitrary URL schemes for links as far as I know.
Old 04-09-2023, 10:37 AM   #12
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

@Comfy there is no way to open things in calibre from within the browser, as browsers dont allow that. Well technically the browser could send a message ot the server that would in turn open the url on the computer that it is running on, but this would be highly unexpected behavior in the normal case of accessing the server from other computers/devices.

As I said I can have the FTS dialog have an option to show ht ebook details page, if that's useful to you open a ticket requesting it and I will look at it the next time I am working in that area.
Old 04-09-2023, 01:37 PM   #13
Comfy.n

Quote:
@Comfy there is no way to open things in calibre from within the browser, as browsers dont allow that. Well technically the browser could send a message ot the server that would in turn open the url on the computer that it is running on, but this would be highly unexpected behavior in the normal case of accessing the server from other computers/devices.
From a desktop point of view, what I can tell is that Windows sees Calibre's URLs and processes them seamlessly. For instance, if I paste a calibre:// URL in the location bar of my system default browser (Firefox fork), this will bring to front Main Calibre window and execute the URL command, whereas the Chromium based browser I tested would ask "Open in Calibre?. (Video and screens attached)

Quote:
As I said I can have the FTS dialog have an option to show ht ebook details page, if that's useful to you open a ticket requesting it and I will look at it the next time I am working in that area.
Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	MWSnap 2023-04-09, 14_07_51.png
Views:	61
Size:	7.1 KB
ID:	200906  
Attached Files
File Type: avi browsercal.avi (1.12 MB, 45 views)
Old 04-09-2023, 03:32 PM   #14
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
From a desktop point of view, what I can tell is that Windows sees Calibre's URLs and processes them seamlessly.
There is no reason to believe that the browser is running on the same machine as calibre. In fact the opposite would be normal, in which case opening a book details window on the machine running calibre won't do anyone any good.
Old 04-09-2023, 06:55 PM   #15
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
From a desktop point of view, what I can tell is that Windows sees Calibre's URLs and processes them seamlessly. For instance, if I paste a calibre:// URL in the location bar of my system default browser (Firefox fork), this will bring to front Main Calibre window and execute the URL command, whereas the Chromium based browser I tested would ask "Open in Calibre?. (Video and screens attached)
OneNote is the same, I did this one to test the new calibre:\\book-details feature

Name:	Screenshot 2023-04-10 075139.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	24.6 KB
ID:	200910

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote