Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Editor

Notices

Old 02-09-2023, 02:39 PM   #1
enuddleyarbl
Guru
enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Add lang= to Jacket?

Is it allowable to add a lang= bit to the HTML line of the jacket in the Editor? Unless it's just a function of something I've done, that line in the current book I'm editing is:
Code:
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
I'd like to add the language stuff so it looks something like:
Code:
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" lang="en-us" xml:lang="en-us">
And, while I'm asking, what about the xmlns:epub= bit? IOW:
Code:
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xmlns:epub="http://www.idpf.org/2007/ops" lang="en-us" xml:lang="en-us">
Can I, should I, manually change that? Is there a setting in Calibre to do that in the conversion/polish process?
enuddleyarbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 02:54 PM   #2
Karellen
Wizard
Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by enuddleyarbl View Post
Can I, should I, manually change that? Is there a setting in Calibre to do that in the conversion/polish process?
In case you are not aware, you can edit the page template to add the extras you need.
Of course, only works on new pages, not existing pages
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pageheader.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	132.9 KB
ID:	199601  
Karellen is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-09-2023, 02:54 PM   #3
enuddleyarbl
Guru
enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'd guess that the "Overriding icons, templates, et cetera" section of the manual would be the place to look:

https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/cus...ates-et-cetera

But, I don't know which file in the configuration folder I might change to store in the resources folder to modify the jacket format.
Old 02-09-2023, 02:55 PM   #4
enuddleyarbl
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karellen View Post
In case you are not aware, you can edit the page template to add the extras you need.
Of course, only works on new pages, not existing pages
I'll take a look at that, too. Thanks.
Old 02-09-2023, 03:29 PM   #5
enuddleyarbl
Guru

Also, what about titlepage.xhtml and toc.xhtml?

I'm not sure if titlepage.xhtml is a standard part of an epub of if it's a calibre construct. But, for the book I'm currently editing, the HTML line is:
Code:
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xml:lang="en-us">
Toc.xhtml gets built with the Editor's "Insert Inline Table of Contents" function. But, even after re-building that with changes made to the template as Karellen mentioned, its HTML line looks like:
Code:
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" lang="en">
Advert
Old 02-09-2023, 03:30 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
You don't actually need an HTML TOC. You have the NCX file and if it's ePub3, you have the NAV and in most cases the NCX.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 03:56 PM   #7
Karellen
Wizard
Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You don't actually need an HTML TOC. You have the NCX file and if it's ePub3, you have the NAV and in most cases the NCX.
Why does the Calibre Editor insist on recreating it, even after you delete it?
Old 02-09-2023, 05:56 PM   #8
enuddleyarbl
Guru

Quote:
My toc.xhtml files don't get re-created unless I hit that button to tell it to do so (I want the inline toc at the front of the book). There is an option under Calibre's Preferences > Conversion > Output Options to "Insert Inline Table of Contents" and I've got that off. Could you have that option on? I'd think that would only happen on Conversion, though.
Old 02-09-2023, 06:17 PM   #9
enuddleyarbl
Guru

I've tested replacing the <html...> line in titlepage.xhtml, jacket.xhtml and toc.xhtml with a standard:
Code:
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xmlns:epub="http://www.idpf.org/2007/ops" lang="en-us" xml:lang="en-us">
and nothing seems to be upset about it. Now, I just need to find a way to have that happen automatically.
Old 02-09-2023, 06:23 PM   #10
Karellen
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by enuddleyarbl View Post
My toc.xhtml files don't get re-created unless I hit that button to tell it to do so (I want the inline toc at the front of the book). There is an option under Calibre's Preferences > Conversion > Output Options to "Insert Inline Table of Contents" and I've got that off. Could you have that option on? I'd think that would only happen on Conversion, though.
When I run the upgrader to epub3, it asks if I want to delete the toc file. I delete it.

When editing the table of contents it recreates the toc.ncx.
Old 02-10-2023, 05:47 AM   #11
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Agreed, but it's the toc.ncx the poster is commenting on.

You need the toc.ncx for epub2 ereader/app compatibility. That's why it's recreated. Answer "no".

OTOH there is the odd reader that doesn't display system contents using the toc.ncx. That's why some ebooks have an HTML contents page and link each chapter to it. Also an HTML contents page can have additional information and as many levels as you want, partway between and Index and Contents page. More than two on toc.ncx is inadvisable.
Oddly not all ereaders have search either, or only a convoluted method to input text if no touch or keyboard.

I had one totally dumb ereader that had no search and no ability to select links. I forget if it had the system contents using toc.ncx

Last edited by Quoth; 02-10-2023 at 05:51 AM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2023, 12:21 PM   #12
enuddleyarbl
Guru

While confirming that the toc.ncx gets recreated, I also noticed the same lang= issue for both it (toc.ncx) and nav.xhtml. Sort of. Toc.ncx doesn't even have an <html...> line (I guess since it's not an html/xhtml file). Instead, it has:
Code:
<ncx xmlns="http://www.daisy.org/z3986/2005/ncx/" version="2005-1" xml:lang="en">
Nav.xhtml has:
Code:
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xmlns:epub="http://www.idpf.org/2007/ops" lang="en" xml:lang="en">
The reason I'm bringing these things up is that since I've been specifying the lang= line in the regular book files, I've had issues with the spellchecker. With all the text files using "lang="en-us" xml:lang="en-us"," the spellchecker comes up with the Language tagged as English (US). Except it's also picking up some of the same words from toc.xhtml, toc.ncx and jacket.xhtmo with their language tagged as either nothing or plain-ol' English. If I add one of those words to the dictionary, I can't do anything with the duplicate (quasi different language) word. To clear it after adding a "duplicate," I have to close the spellchecker, shut down the Editor and re-open everything. Only then will that word disappear (Refreshing the list doesn't help). This gets in the way of spellchecking the book.

EDIT: Also, manually editing the <html...> line in nav.xhtml does seem to remove its "duplicate" entries in the spellchecker (I assume they're getting folded into the ones for the rest of the document). But, changing the language in the <nxc...> line of toc.ncx doesn't make any difference. Its misspellings continue to show up as plain English.

Last edited by enuddleyarbl; 02-10-2023 at 12:38 PM.
Old 02-10-2023, 01:14 PM   #13
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
I spiel cheque in the LO Writer, extra Save As docx and import to Calibre.

Can't you exclude system files in Calibre spell checker?
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2023, 04:39 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
The HTML ToC is not recreated after it's deleted. What are you doing that causes it to be recreated?

Oh and tif here are links back to the HTML ToC, that have to also go. I use Diaps Editing Toolbag to remove links tot he HTML ToC.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2023, 05:19 PM   #15
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Are we using THE EDITOR or does this thread belong in Conversions?
Conversion can/does create TOC depending on format
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote