Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Server

Notices

Old 02-07-2023, 08:08 AM   #1
Metapath
Metapath began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
How to log into server as a different user

When I log into the calibre server as a user with write permissions, in the first screen that let's me select which library to use, there is an icon on the right that allows me to log out and then log in as a different user.

However, if I'm already logged in as non-write permission user, this icon is missing. I can never log out and then log in as a write permission user.

Am I missing something or is this a bug?
Metapath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 11:31 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
There is no log in and log out buttons. The server uses HTTP AUTH which doesnt really support the concept of such things. You simply restart the browser to log in as another user. IIRC the button your are referring to is a button that tells you whom you are logged in ass and advises you to restart the browser. If you arent seeing it do a hard refresh in your browser.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-07-2023, 07:03 PM   #3
Metapath

Thanks Kovid, I guess I don't know how to do a "hard refresh" of my browser. Whenever I go to MyServer:xxxx I'm logged in already as User abc. Even when I use a different browser or as a different Windows user, I'm unable to log in as User def.
Old 02-07-2023, 08:24 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metapath View Post
Thanks Kovid, I guess I don't know how to do a "hard refresh" of my browser. Whenever I go to MyServer:xxxx I'm logged in already as User abc. Even when I use a different browser or as a different Windows user, I'm unable to log in as User def.
?? This is my Browser shortcut
http://10.0.0.21:8083/#library_id=Ma...anel=book_list
The first thing it brings up is the request for User and PW

Note: You muse Exit the Browser completely (at least for Windows), not just close a tab to change logon
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 09:02 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Are you sure you are using the calibre content server and not something else? Press ctrl+f5 to hard refresh your browser.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-08-2023, 08:55 AM   #6
Metapath

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Are you sure you are using the calibre content server and not something else? Press ctrl+f5 to hard refresh your browser.
Pressing ctrl+f5 doesn't change the behavior. Creating a new Windows user on my remote Windows laptop doesn't change the behavior. Changing to a different browser doesn't change anything.

I'm running Calibre on 3 different computers: 2 on Windows 11 and 1 on Linux Mint. The Linux machine is running the Calibre content server via a service at boot time. Both Windows machines are running the Calibre UI (with the content server enabled) via a StartUp shortcut, with the Windows user auto-logged in at boot time. Each computer uses a different port. The ports are forwarded at the router. I use a free domain name service to reach the router over the internet.

EDIT: only the Windows 11 machines exhibit this behavior. They are running the Calibre UI. The Linux machine running the explicit content server, always prompts for login. Sorry for the confusion.

I am trying to log on remotely. No matter which port I use, I am never requested to log on. I'm already logged in and can't change to a different user. All three machines have the same user/password combinations. I've even tried using a VPN through a US location (I'm in a different country at the moment).

When I use an iPad running Safari, I am always prompted to log in, regardless of which port I use. That means, I suspect, it's a problem with my laptop (also running Windows 11), but a hard reboot doesn't change anything.

EDIT: Safari has the same behavior, sorry. Only the Linux machine always requires log in. Now I'm thinking this is a bug in the Calibre UI version of the content server.

Last edited by Metapath; 02-08-2023 at 10:36 AM.
Old 02-08-2023, 09:10 AM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
The content server is configured to respond to a single port (of your choice), which has me wondering what you are doing if you 'use a different port'
What Browser? It behaves as stated with FF and Edge.
I must exit (close) the BROWSER completely, then it asks for credentials again.

Do you use 'helper plugins' on your browser (PW manager...)?
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 10:02 AM   #8
Metapath

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
The content server is configured to respond to a single port (of your choice), which has me wondering what you are doing if you 'use a different port'
What Browser? It behaves as stated with FF and Edge.
I must exit (close) the BROWSER completely, then it asks for credentials again.

Do you use 'helper plugins' on your browser (PW manager...)?
No helper plugins. Each instance of Calibre is configured for a different port. I'm using Edge and Firefox browsers. I believe they behave as you describe when I'm on the local network. I am connecting remotely.
Old 03-02-2023, 05:34 PM   #9
Metapath

Now that I'm back home, I double-checked the Windows machine that runs the content server from a user's UI. I found that the Preference for Requiring Users to Login was unchecked. Sigh. Don't know how that happened but, as usual, user error.

Thanks for your help Kovid. Another donation coming your way soon.