Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-10-2023, 02:54 AM   #1
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Sol Reader e-ink Headset

Can't say this is a product I was ever expecting to see. I also can't say I have no interest. I can see myself being completely absorbed in a book with one of these. I can't see me actually paying for one though. It doesn't really fit my needs right now but I can dream.

https://liliputing.com/sol-readers-e...rable-ereader/
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2023, 07:35 AM   #2
kandwo
Addict
kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
"Low resolution" - no, thank you!

It's taken what, over a decade to get most smaller sized e-ink screen up to 300 PPI. Then it's taken another couple of years to finally achieve the contrast that was there from the beginning using Carta 1200/1250.

The e-ink journey is incredibly frustrating. It's always two steps forward, one step back. And as soon as I hear of something with less than 300 PPI I just get tired of it all.
kandwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-10-2023, 12:22 PM   #3
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
WHAT???!!!!

No paragraph indents?!!???!!

Simply inexcusable!!!!!!

NO! NO! NO!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	An Unknown Man shaking his finger.gif
Views:	110
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	198920  
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2023, 12:56 PM   #4
salamanderjuice
Guru
salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kandwo View Post
"Low resolution" - no, thank you!

It's taken what, over a decade to get most smaller sized e-ink screen up to 300 PPI. Then it's taken another couple of years to finally achieve the contrast that was there from the beginning using Carta 1200/1250.

The e-ink journey is incredibly frustrating. It's always two steps forward, one step back. And as soon as I hear of something with less than 300 PPI I just get tired of it all.
I'm sure this will have 300 PPI, maybe more. But with HMDs you really really need high PPI for the screen door effect not to be visible. An Oculus Quest 2 has over 750 PPI and it still suffers from the screen door effect. It's just too close to your eyeballs.

That said I do not understand this product at all. The beauty of eInk is that it works in sunlight/ambient light and looks like paper. This demands the front light all the time, viewing through a lens that close will make it look terrible too. Just make a lighter eReader if holding it is such a burden. I don't need to be "immersed" in the page.
salamanderjuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2023, 11:51 AM   #5
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by salamanderjuice View Post

That said I do not understand this product at all. The beauty of eInk is that it works in sunlight/ambient light and looks like paper.
Yes, OLED or even real LEDs makes more sense. This is pointless.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-12-2023, 01:08 PM   #6
crudites enjoyer
crudites enjoyer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.crudites enjoyer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.crudites enjoyer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.crudites enjoyer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.crudites enjoyer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.crudites enjoyer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.crudites enjoyer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.crudites enjoyer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.crudites enjoyer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.crudites enjoyer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.crudites enjoyer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kobo Elipsa
the thing about e ink is that it can be very lightweight. important because HMDs can compress your cervical spine. however the main attraction of e ink is that it matches the brightness of the ambient lighting. I don't see how this could do that. I do want to try it but probably don't want to buy it.
crudites enjoyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2023, 01:39 PM   #7
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by crudites enjoyer View Post
I do want to try it but probably don't want to buy it.
That's basically where I'm at.

The idea of being able to read while laying flat on my bed and not having to move anything but my thumb to change pages is very appealing sometimes.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2023, 01:44 PM   #8
crudites enjoyer
crudites enjoyer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.crudites enjoyer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.crudites enjoyer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.crudites enjoyer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.crudites enjoyer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.crudites enjoyer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.crudites enjoyer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.crudites enjoyer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.crudites enjoyer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.crudites enjoyer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.crudites enjoyer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

you can already do that with any Android e reader though, with a gooseneck tablet holder and a cheap Bluetooth controller. so it's probably nothing special.
Old 01-12-2023, 05:52 PM   #9
Colonel Cathcart
Addict
Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O
I wonder: how you can use a dictionary on such a device? or search?
This looks utterly ridiculous to me.
Colonel Cathcart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2023, 07:00 PM   #10
crudites enjoyer

you might be able to lump along with voice commands but that's not great.
Old 01-20-2023, 07:47 PM   #11
ab78727
Connoisseur
ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: reMarkable2 Pixel-Tablet Pocketbook-743 Sony-DPT-S1
350 is a bit too expensive but I can totally see myself putting these on during a flight along with headphones and totally tuning out.
ab78727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2023, 05:40 AM   #12
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ab78727 View Post
350 is a bit too expensive but I can totally see myself putting these on during a flight along with headphones and totally tuning out.
But OLED is superior for headset, and cheaper technology, and video as well as reading. The eink is only an advantage with ambient light and that's not possible with a headset.
Old 01-27-2023, 01:45 AM   #13
ab78727
Connoisseur
ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: reMarkable2 Pixel-Tablet Pocketbook-743 Sony-DPT-S1
I admit I'm irrationally crazy about anything eink, which is why it sounded good on this headset but I agree that oled etc. in this application makes so much more sense. I'm trying to think of why they want eink here - maybe power usage?
ab78727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 06:19 AM   #14
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Power consumption is a square law on diagonal size and square law on distance away for same apparent brightness (inverse square law). So the OLED panels for a headset would take very little power. AR and VR headset power consumption is dominated by CPU & GPU responding to tracking head and eye movement.
Old 01-31-2023, 05:21 PM   #15
CallOfCth'reader
Cultist
CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505, Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo, Kobo Forma, Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by salamanderjuice View Post
I'm sure this will have 300 PPI, maybe more. But with HMDs you really really need high PPI for the screen door effect not to be visible. An Oculus Quest 2 has over 750 PPI and it still suffers from the screen door effect. It's just too close to your eyeballs.
Screen-door effect is caused by the gaps between pixels, so the effect would not be noticeable at 300PPI if the gaps between the e-ink capsules are small enough.

Looking at this video there would probably be zero screen-door with e-ink, although the magnified e-ink characters might look a little jagged:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fBsPSlQ51s

My own question is whether all of the screen is in focus. VR headsets have a clear "sweet spot" in the centre of the lenses, and the screen looks progressively blurrier as the distance from the centre of the lens increases. An e-ink headset would have to have perfect clarity over all of the viewable screen to be of any use.
CallOfCth'reader is offline   Reply With Quote