Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-12-2022, 09:57 AM   #1
lmarceg
lmarceg began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Author Name and Surname in iPad seen as Surname,Name

Hello everyone!
I have been using Calibre since its version 3, but mainly to convert ebook from EPUB to MOBI.
I am now using an iPad and I have two ebooks of the same author (Gianrico Carofiglio). The problem is that one e-book has the author shown as "Gianrico Carofiglio" in my iPad, and one is shown as "Carofiglio,Gianrico".
I edited the metadata, and I also edited the book in the content.opf, and they both look like this:

<dc:creator opf:role="aut" opf:file-as="Carofiglio,Gianrico">Gianrico Carofiglio</dc:creator>
<meta name="calibre:author_link_map" content="{&quot;Gianrico Carofiglio&quot;: &quot;&quot;}"/>

Nevertheless, when I import the books with iPad Books, I still see two one book with the right name and one with the surname,name format.

I can't see any Carofiglio in any other relevant configuration files, so I am stuck.

What should I change to see "Gianrico Carofiglio" in both cases?

Thanks a lot!
lmarceg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 10:20 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Don't know ipad anyway (that is a device, not a reader app)
But when calibre processes books to SEND, it used the Library version of the metadata for the copy.
Open the MDE and make sure author sort is not red (violates the setting)

Quality check plugin can check the entire Library for (individually) to the type of metadata chosen. (you still need to fix those, but it finds and marks them)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-12-2022, 11:53 AM   #3
lmarceg

Indeed, it's red
How can I turn it green?
It's red also in the other books where the author name is displayed correctly, BTW
Old 09-12-2022, 12:01 PM   #4
lmarceg

I turned it green but nothing has happened.
Still, I see the name as Surname,Name in the iPad
Old 09-12-2022, 01:54 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
To set the *_ SORT quickly: on the right there is a small button (copies down to the sort using the user rules)

I you select a group of books (as found by Quality check), Tap 'E' to invoke the MDE in bulk mode: Basic Metadata: Tick the box Automatically set Author sort
Do not make any data entry in the sort
Almost all the tick boxes can be use by themselves to do bulk updates
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-12-2022, 06:55 PM   #6
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Kindles normally use the sorted form of author names (last, first). I am away from my PC and do not remember the exact setting, but calibre has an option to put the author sort (last, first) into the author field when sending books to a Kindle.

At one time the Kindle apps and devices automatically showed them in normal form (first last) but that is no longer the case in newer versions. The internal sorted form is now shown instead. So the book showing normal (first last) is the incorrect one.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 11:15 AM   #7
lmarceg

I MADE IT !!
But still I faced something strange.
So, my initial idea was to change the name of the writer, just to see what would happen, so I changed Gianrico Carofiglio into Carlo Rossi and also the ordering into Rossi, Carlo. I clicked on OK, and opened the .epub file directly from my iPad. As a result, the book was saved under "Gianrico Carofiglio" authors, together with the other books, so I really don't know where the iPad took that name from.
I then changed the name again into the correct one, I reopened it and still, I had "Carofiglio, Gianrico". But I realized that the .epub didn't really change the timestamp; rather, the external opf file did. So I changed the behaviour in Calibre not to store external files, did some modifications, clicked on OK, then removed the two files that were still present and whooops, I lost the cover which I could luckily download automatically again.
So i realized I maybe had to SAVE it? So i clicked on the book and selected "save to disk". Now I just have one single .epub file, I have opened it into my iPad and voila, now I have the correct name!

So, two questions:

- When editing the metadata, such data is always stored locally seperately from the epub?
- To have such data merged into the ebook, do I need to untick the creation of external jpg and opf files and then I need to explicitly save on disk? Cos the book is already on disk, that's why I didn't "save it" again

Thanks!