Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-15-2021, 01:44 PM   #1
Drybonz
Connoisseur
Drybonz began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Paperwhite 2021 Freezing

I've been having some problems with my Paperwhite 2021 freezing and the touchscreen becoming totally unresponsive. I have to restart the device to get out of this, and then can read until it happens again.

I'm wondering if anyone else has had similar problems? Trying to decide if I should send it back for a replacement. Thanks for the help.
Drybonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 01:56 PM   #2
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drybonz View Post
I've been having some problems with my Paperwhite 2021 freezing and the touchscreen becoming totally unresponsive. I have to restart the device to get out of this, and then can read until it happens again.

I'm wondering if anyone else has had similar problems? Trying to decide if I should send it back for a replacement. Thanks for the help.
It's been mentioned in several Amazon customer reviews. So I guess you're not the only one.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-16-2021, 03:28 PM   #3
Drybonz
Connoisseur

Thanks... I looked at some of the reviews... there are some reports of the same problem, but it doesn't look like enough to think it's a widespread software issue or something like that. I'm going to assume I got a bad device and send it back. When I called Amazon they could offer no information about it.
Old 11-16-2021, 09:51 PM   #4
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
I read somewhere they released a software update that is supposed to address this issue. You may try manually downloading the newest software update for your device and loading it in, see if that helps
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 12:38 AM   #5
Drybonz
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paperbackstash View Post
I read somewhere they released a software update that is supposed to address this issue.
Thanks. I'll look into it. It seems like they would have mentioned this when I called them, but who knows?
Advert
Old 11-18-2021, 09:48 PM   #6
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drybonz View Post
Thanks. I'll look into it. It seems like they would have mentioned this when I called them, but who knows?
Support is the last to know half the stuff lol.
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 05:33 PM   #7
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
When I first registered and started downloading i had some weird errors as well but it went away once all my ebooks and audiobooks got downloaded.
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 01:00 PM   #8
Nikkidog
Nikkidog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nikkidog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nikkidog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nikkidog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nikkidog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nikkidog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nikkidog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nikkidog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nikkidog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nikkidog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nikkidog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Oasis2, Paperwhite4
It’s happened to me a couple of times. Instead of a restart, I just hit the power button to turn it off and then back on. That took care of it. That was faster than a restart. Hope that helps.
Nikkidog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 02:53 PM   #9
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
I have only had mine a couple of days, no issues like this so far. It updated to latest release (5.14.1.1) within first hour after registering it. I’ve only downloaded a handful of books so far.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 03:46 PM   #10
Strether
Guru
Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1; iPad Air; iPhone 7; Kobo Libra; Kindle Oasis 3
I’ve had mine for 3 or 4 weeks and no problem with freezing at all. I do have a problem with it going through spells when I skips a page when I tap the screen, but then I swipe for a while and then the problem goes away (for awhile.) Otherwise a great reader with an amazing battery life.

Jim
Strether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 04:03 PM   #11
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strether View Post
I’ve had mine for 3 or 4 weeks and no problem with freezing at all. I do have a problem with it going through spells when I skips a page when I tap the screen, but then I swipe for a while and then the problem goes away (for awhile.) Otherwise a great reader with an amazing battery life.

Jim
I have progress showing Page and it will sometimes increment by more than one page number. But I have not seen any case where content has been skipped: it is just that it was showing the end of one page and included the entire contents of the next page, so the next page number went up by 2.

The 6.8” screen is much more likely to do this than 6” screen, as it can show more text per screen, and at smaller text sizes, you could even have it display more than one page per screen nearly all of the time.

But it surprised me at first.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 04:36 PM   #12
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
I have progress showing Page and it will sometimes increment by more than one page number. But I have not seen any case where content has been skipped: it is just that it was showing the end of one page and included the entire contents of the next page, so the next page number went up by 2.

The 6.8” screen is much more likely to do this than 6” screen, as it can show more text per screen, and at smaller text sizes, you could even have it display more than one page per screen nearly all of the time.

But it surprised me at first.
I've been seeing that for years on the 7" Oasis. It also happens when the paper book has a completely empty page at the end of a chapter. The presense of images can also cause this.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote