Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-02-2021, 05:33 PM   #1
Gone
Out of order
Gone has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gone has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gone has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gone has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gone has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gone has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gone has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gone has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gone has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gone has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gone has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Libra Colour
No Collections on Kobo (using Calibre)

Hi,

So, I just received my Kobo Libra 2.

I decided to transfer all my ebooks from Calibre, sorted by Collections.

Took a while, everything went fine. All books appears to be on the Kobo.

But... No mention of any books in all the Collections Calibre created!

What went wrong?

PS : There was an update today with the Kobo Touch Extended. I convert all my ePub in KePub with KePub Output.
Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 05:46 PM   #2
taos
Connoisseur
taos can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.taos can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.taos can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.taos can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.taos can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.taos can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.taos can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.taos can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.taos can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.taos can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.taos can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Glo HD
Did you connect your Libra 2 a second time to Calibre? First time transfers the files. After disconnecting, the Kobo updates its database and adds entries for the new books. When you connect a second time, the metadata (incl. series and collections) is transferred and written into the database (that's the default setting).
taos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-02-2021, 07:18 PM   #3
Gone
Out of order
Gone has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gone has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gone has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gone has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gone has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gone has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gone has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gone has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gone has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gone has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gone has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taos View Post
Did you connect your Libra 2 a second time to Calibre? First time transfers the files. After disconnecting, the Kobo updates its database and adds entries for the new books. When you connect a second time, the metadata (incl. series and collections) is transferred and written into the database (that's the default setting).
I’ve connected it a few times.

I also did a firmware update after transferring all the ebooks.
Old 11-02-2021, 07:42 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claude_C View Post
Hi,

So, I just received my Kobo Libra 2.

I decided to transfer all my ebooks from Calibre, sorted by Collections.

Took a while, everything went fine. All books appears to be on the Kobo.

But... No mention of any books in all the Collections Calibre created!

What went wrong?

PS : There was an update today with the Kobo Touch Extended. I convert all my ePub in KePub with KePub Output.
Switch tot he KoboTouch driver andsee ifyouget collections. That way you can know if it's the Extended driver or not. Also, are you set to automatic metadata management?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 08:23 PM   #5
Gone
Out of order

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Switch tot he KoboTouch driver andsee ifyouget collections. That way you can know if it's the Extended driver or not. Also, are you set to automatic metadata management?
Thanks, I tried all that.

My only guess is that Kobo Touch (Extended or not) is not compatible with the new 4.30.x firmware.

Really a bummer when you just received your new toy.
Advert
Old 11-02-2021, 09:28 PM   #6
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Thanks, I tried all that.

My only guess is that Kobo Touch (Extended or not) is not compatible with the new 4.30.x firmware.

Really a bummer when you just received your new toy.
As I have just answered you post in the 4.30.18838 firmware thread, it is working with no problems here. This includes on my Sage. With both the built-in KoboTouch driver and the KoboTouchExtended driver.

Nearly every time this doesn't work, it is due to configuration. If you are confident it is correct, then please run calibre in debug mode, connect the device and let the jobs run. Then close calibre and post the debug log for me to look at.

And for the record, all the function in the KoboTouchExtended driver except for the kepub related stuff comes from the built-in KoboTouch driver. If it works in one place, it will work in the other. But, the configuration is separate. A common problem is that someone has changed from one driver to the other, but, have not updated the configuration when doing so.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 10:09 PM   #7
Gone
Out of order

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
As I have just answered you post in the 4.30.18838 firmware thread, it is working with no problems here. This includes on my Sage. With both the built-in KoboTouch driver and the KoboTouchExtended driver.

Nearly every time this doesn't work, it is due to configuration. If you are confident it is correct, then please run calibre in debug mode, connect the device and let the jobs run. Then close calibre and post the debug log for me to look at.

And for the record, all the function in the KoboTouchExtended driver except for the kepub related stuff comes from the built-in KoboTouch driver. If it works in one place, it will work in the other. But, the configuration is separate. A common problem is that someone has changed from one driver to the other, but, have not updated the configuration when doing so.

Got the new Libra 2. Updated the firmware. Was 4.28. So I modified the affiliate to bestbuyca. Opened Calibre. Saw that two extensions needed an update. So I did. Meanwhile, I don’t remember when I updated again the firmware and if the Kobo was still plugged in or not, with Calibre open or not.

I was filling the new Kobo. Once or twice Calibre crashed. So, I transferred less books at a time. Unplug/plug to let Kobo add the books.

After all that, I saw that I had Collections but all empty! I checked the books on the Kobo in Calibre. Every books had it tags in the metadata, but not visible in the Collection row.

Not sure what went wrong.

Maybe I should delete all books on the Kobo and start again.

Last edited by Gone; 11-02-2021 at 10:14 PM.
Old 11-02-2021, 11:09 PM   #8
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
A few questions:

Do you have automatic metadata management selected in Sending books to devices in calibre's preferences?

Ditto for the Update metadata on the device option on the Metadata, on device and advanced tab in the KoboTouch/KTExtended driver configuration?

Is the Collections box checked on the Collections, covers & uploads tab of the KT/KTE driver configuration?

What is entered in the Collections columns box?
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 11:17 PM   #9
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Got the new Libra 2. Updated the firmware. Was 4.28. So I modified the affiliate to bestbuyca. Opened Calibre. Saw that two extensions needed an update. So I did. Meanwhile, I don’t remember when I updated again the firmware and if the Kobo was still plugged in or not, with Calibre open or not.

I was filling the new Kobo. Once or twice Calibre crashed. So, I transferred less books at a time. Unplug/plug to let Kobo add the books.

After all that, I saw that I had Collections but all empty! I checked the books on the Kobo in Calibre. Every books had it tags in the metadata, but not visible in the Collection row.

Not sure what went wrong.

Maybe I should delete all books on the Kobo and start again.
The collections are stored in the Kobo server. But, it does not store anything about sideloaded books. It will sync the the purchased books that are in collections to the server. When you setup a new device, Kobo will sync what it know about the collections to the device. That means if you have only sideloaded books, it will create the collections and they will all be empty.

But, assuming the configuration is correct, calibre will do the collection management each time you connect. And if you are sending new books, it will create the collection entries as the books are sent.

If what you have done is to put the sideloaded books on the device and then log into your Kobo account, then you will get empty collections. Calibre should fix this on the next connection. If it doesn't, the most likely thing is a configuration error. And I'm serious about that. I don't know when the last time someone actually found a bug in the collection management was. The next most likely reason is a corrupt database. But, calibre would probably show an error for this. The next reason is that the books on the device are not matching to books in the library. But, any books that have a green tick against it will have collection management done for it.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 01:06 PM   #10
Gone
Out of order

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
A few questions:

Do you have automatic metadata management selected in Sending books to devices in calibre's preferences?

Ditto for the Update metadata on the device option on the Metadata, on device and advanced tab in the KoboTouch/KTExtended driver configuration?

Is the Collections box checked on the Collections, covers & uploads tab of the KT/KTE driver configuration?

What is entered in the Collections columns box?

I have 2 other Kobo at home, 2 Libra H20. Calibre is on my Mac M1 since January. Never had any problems before. So I don’t think it’s a configuration problem in Calibre.

Like I said, Calibre crashed at least twice while transferring epub (and converting them on the fly to kepub.) Firmware update in the middle of that…
Old 11-03-2021, 01:12 PM   #11
Gone
Out of order

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
The collections are stored in the Kobo server. But, it does not store anything about sideloaded books. It will sync the the purchased books that are in collections to the server. When you setup a new device, Kobo will sync what it know about the collections to the device. That means if you have only sideloaded books, it will create the collections and they will all be empty.

But, assuming the configuration is correct, calibre will do the collection management each time you connect. And if you are sending new books, it will create the collection entries as the books are sent.

If what you have done is to put the sideloaded books on the device and then log into your Kobo account, then you will get empty collections. Calibre should fix this on the next connection. If it doesn't, the most likely thing is a configuration error. And I'm serious about that. I don't know when the last time someone actually found a bug in the collection management was. The next most likely reason is a corrupt database. But, calibre would probably show an error for this. The next reason is that the books on the device are not matching to books in the library. But, any books that have a green tick against it will have collection management done for it.
Thanks. Interesting informations.

I connected to my Kobo account when I got the new Libra 2. You have no choice. Then I started to side load my epub. Put a couple of Calibre crash and a firmware update, and that was the result.

Maybe it’s a corrupt database on the new Kobo.
Old 11-03-2021, 01:44 PM   #12
Gone
Out of order

Damn

I have that computer since January and I just freaking realized that I did not configure Kobo Touch Extended!

I was sure I did.

Feel like such a fool.

Sorry to have bother you all with my silly problem. But thanks again for pointing in the right direction : ME.

After configuring the extension, I transferred one book and the Collection showed up right. Now, I guess I have to erase all books and start again.
Old 11-03-2021, 04:10 PM   #13
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Good to hear you are back in business. I suspect anyone who suggests that they have never made that type of error is, hhhmmm..., suffering from selective amnesia.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 04:32 PM   #14
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Good to hear you are back in business. I suspect anyone who suggests that they have never made that type of error is, hhhmmm..., suffering from selective amnesia.
I almost made the same mistake with the Sage today. I decided I wanted kepubs on the Sage, not epubs, and switched the driver. Good thing I looked at the settings at the last moment. Of course the Extended driver was not customized on my newest laptop, because I used only epubs on my Libra, and when I bought the Libra and tried kepubs, I used the previous laptop.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 06:40 PM   #15
Gone
Out of order

Quote:
Yes. All is well now.

2 problems with 2 ereaders, in one day.