Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 09-22-2021, 06:29 PM   #1
jookieapc
jookieapc began at the beginning.

Device: elkitab
Unhappy My entire Calibre library and all the books have disappeared!

Hello all,

I've been browsing similar topics on this forum and I'm still stumped. I had a folder called Books on my main drive and yesterday, when I checked, the folder is entirely blank. It used to contain all of my electronic books in various formats and also the output of all Calibre conversions were saved there.

The folder was shared on the network, but I'm totally baffled about what could have happened.

I used windirstat to find out if the files were accidentally moved by me or another user - no joy.
I have searched all my drives for files with ebook extensions.
I checked Windows Defender log files
I tried to check the Event Viewer, but I'm pretty much clueless on how to search through it -there's so much data there.
Scanning the drive shows no errors.

Any other suggestions? Would Calibre delete book files under some circumstances?

I will have some files stored to my kindles but still this is a big concern to have so much important data suddenly go missing.

Thanks,
jookieapc
jookieapc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 06:42 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Well, that is bad news.

While not exactly what you did, this FAQ still applies as the remote might have done it.
https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq...rked-drive-nas

Calibre (GUI) is not designed for multiple access. For sharing, run the content server, with the PC being the host (and control).

Just to Clairfy. YOUR PC drive was where Books was?
The folder is still there? Do you still have 'Rights" to the contents (might just be hidden)?
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-22-2021, 06:56 PM   #3
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Calibre will delete files from a folder if you have set it to automatically add books from that folder. But in that case you should have the files in another location (the calibre library). Unless this other location is also on a network drive, in which case something may have gone wrong.

TL;DR Don't keep any folder associated with Calibre on a network or cloud drive.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 04:31 AM   #4
jookieapc

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Well, that is bad news.
Just to Clairfy. YOUR PC drive was where Books was?
The folder is still there? Do you still have 'Rights" to the contents (might just be hidden)?
The location was on my PC drive, so it was E:\Books\ and the Calibre Library was in there too. EVERYTHING disappeared and I can't imagine at all how that happened.

Is there any other default location where Calibre could have picked up and taken my books? Eg. application data or similar?
Old 10-15-2021, 04:45 AM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
calibre never completely deletes its library folder. Search your computer for metadata.db, a calibre library folder is identified by the presence of that file in the folder.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-15-2021, 09:14 AM   #6
jookieapc

thank you kovid. I created a new folder, and called it books.new in my D drive. I recently upgraded to Windows 11, but haven't installed calibre yet. And you'll never guess what happened?

The new folder is completely empty again! What is this madness??

I checked for metadata.db and it's in my original books folder - D:\Books\Calibre Library\
Old 11-15-2021, 09:30 AM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Your Preferences folder tells Calibre what folder to use as the Current Library.
That is also (like Libraries) not deleted, even if you uninstall Calibre.

You have a rogue app running (amok):

Disable any Cloud/NAS auto sync (calibre Library and Configuration should NEVER be 2-way. Mirror really should only be done when Calibre is shut down)
It maybe trying to put things back . (time keeping differences might confuse. Common with Win vs Linux)

You have an Anti-?? that thinks your book formats are bad

You are running a 'cleaner' that detected that the only registered app is gone and is tossing 'useless trash'
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 10:17 AM   #8
gtriever
Addict
gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
You have my sympathy; been there, done that years ago. Now I make it a point to keep two backup copies of my library and calibre user files on different drives (f: and k: in my case).
gtriever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 04:34 AM   #9
jpijper
Enthusiast
jpijper began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook HD3 (PB632)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtriever View Post
You have my sympathy; been there, done that years ago. Now I make it a point to keep two backup copies of my library and calibre user files on different drives (f: and k: in my case).
ALWAYS backup ...
jpijper is offline   Reply With Quote