Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 06-15-2020, 11:15 PM   #1
IndiePublisher
IndiePublisher began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Smile Calibre Conversion: Inconsistent Font Output When Converting From Epub to Docx

Hello,

First of all I would like to thank Kovid Goyal and all other contributors for creating this exceptional piece of software.

I am currently using Calibre to convert a bunch of epub books to Docx format so that I can directly edit the manuscript's back matter. At first the conversions were really inconsistent and messy. A lot of epubs are created with Vellum and other automated softwares these days which produces really hideous HTML. But once I turned on Heuristic Processing the improvement in conversion quality was absolutely dramatic and it became *Almost Perfect*.

I am just having a problem with Calibre's font selection now.

There does not seems to be any rhyme or reason regarding Calibre's choice of a default font in a converted document. Sometimes the body text is in Calibri 11 Pt, sometimes it is Palatino 12 Pt and at other times it is in Cambria 12 Pt. My default font in MS Word 2019 is Times New Roman 16 Pt and Calibre never follows it.

Is there any way for forcing Calibre to use my default font settings when converting a document? My default font settings are:

Body Text (Normal Paragraph) - Time New Roman 16 Pt
Heading 1 - Calibri Light (Heading) 20 Pt
Heading 2 - Calibri Light (Heading) 18 Pt
Title - Calibri Light (Heading) 36 Pt
Subtitle - Calibri (Body) 16 Pt

Any help will be really appreciated.
IndiePublisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 11:22 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
calibre does not choose fonts, they will be present in the input documents. You can override font choices in the look & feel section of th econversion dialog, either by using CSS or just telling calibre to remove all font information.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-16-2020, 02:17 AM   #3
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
If you are converting a Vellum produced ebook, the body style consists of a font family declaration and then we add miscellaneous font family declarations elsewhere in the CSS. The font family lines below were from a single epub. The humourous part from my point of view is that none of these fonts were embedded in the epub.

Code:
body {
        font-family: Palatino, Malabar, Merriweather, "Droid Serif", serif;
}
        font-family: "Helvetica Neue", Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;
	font-family: Baskerville, "Sorts Mill Goudy", Malabar, serif;
        font-family:"Arial", sans-serif;
	font-family: "Georgia", serif;
        font-family:"Times New Roman", serif;
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote