Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 12-14-2019, 10:58 AM   #1
Pr.BarnArt
Addict
Pr.BarnArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pr.BarnArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pr.BarnArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pr.BarnArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pr.BarnArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pr.BarnArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pr.BarnArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pr.BarnArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pr.BarnArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pr.BarnArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pr.BarnArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook 902 / Ipad air/ kindle paperwhite
[Metadata Source Plugin] Goodreads_rating DEPRECATED

This plugin is deprecated, because the original goodreads-plugin now offers the same function.

There were several who asked for a plugin which can get and store the decimal rating of goodreads.
I gave it a try, just because I like to tackle a problem. But I am not a very good programmer. So this is more or less for fun and there sure will be better/smarter ways to solve this.

For this you need two plugins:
1. Goodreads_rating
I changed the original plugin ( thanks to Kiwidude) just a little.
The publisher-field now contains the publishersname, followed bij '#PrB.rating#' and then followed by the rating of goodreads.

2. F_rating
You can find it here or download it within calibre->preferences->plugins.

INSTALLATION (Thanks to arialvetica)

1. Download both linked plugins (current version is always at the bottom of the original post).
2. Install both linked plugins. To do this, click on "Preferences," then under the "Advanced" heading click on "Plugins." For each plugin, click on "Load plugin from file." Find the ZIP file you just downloaded, click "Open." Click "Yes" on the "Are you sure?" dialogue. Restart calibre after installing plugins.
3. There will be a new icon (looks like an orange starburst) in the main menu, called Frating. It has a menu with two options:
- Set decimal rating;
- Check and create custum column;

But you can also click the icon itself and it will run: set decimal rating;
This will check if there is already a custom column for this.
If not it wil create one and you have to restart calibre.
If the check is true, it will go on with putting the decimal rating in the custom column.

For creating the column you can also slect the menu option: "Check and create custom column." (Optional: You can change the Column Heading through Preferences: Add Your Own Columns. Double-click on the #gr1 column, and type whatever you prefer in the "Column Heading" field. Do NOT change the lookup name.)

USAGE

To download ratings for an individual book (good for checking if you've done setup correctly.)
1. Click on a book title in the main calibre window.
2. Click on "Edit metadata individually".
3. Next to "Download metadata," click on the Configure Download icon (looks like a "Preferences/Settings" icon, hover-text should read "Change how calibre downloads metadata.")
4. Ensure "Goodreads_Rating" is the ONLY checked Source, then Apply changes.
5. Click on "Download metadata".
6. When the download is complete, click "OK" first for the metadata, then "OK" again for the cover.
7. Click "OK" again to save changes and close the Edit Metadata window.
8. Click on the "Run frating" icon (looks like an orange starburst).
After this processes, you'll see a dialogue box either confirming whether it worked ("Finished extracting rating from publisherfield - for a total of X books") or not ("Finished extracting rating from publisherfield - for a total of 0 books"). Click OK to close the dialogue. Now, in the main calibre window, in this book's row and under the gr_ratings column, you should see a number ranging from 0.0 to 5.0.

To download ratings in bulk
1. Select a range of books in the main calibre window.
2. Click on "Download metadata and covers".
3. Click on "Configure Download".
4. Ensure "Goodreads_Rating" is the ONLY checked Source, then Apply changes.
5. Click on "Download only metadata".
6. When the download is complete, click "Yes".
7. Click "OK" again to save changes and close the Edit Metadata window.
8. Click on the "Run frating" icon (looks like an orange starburst).
9. Click on "Set decimal retings." After this processes, you'll see a dialogue box either confirming whether it worked ("Finished extracting rating from publisherfield - for a total of X books") or not ("Finished extracting rating from publisherfield - for a total of 0 books"). Click OK to close the dialogue. Now, in the main calibre window, in each book's row and under the gr_ratings column, you should see a number ranging from 0.0 to 5.0.

!NOTE: When downloading metadata from your usual sources (to get book covers, tags, etc), you'll need to go back to the "Configure Download" window and select your preferred sources. When downloading Goodreads Decimal Ratings, you'll need to repeat the steps to download ONLY from Goodreads_Rating.

Changes v. 4.0.0.
- update goodreads plugin 1.5.3. related to Calibre6 and qt6

Enjoy
Paypal Donations:
  • If you find this plugin useful please feel free to show your appreciation.

Version History:
Spoiler:

2019-12-14
v. 3.0.0. based on Goodreads 1.4.0

2020-30-09
v.3.1.0 based on Goodreads 1.5.1

2022-7-13
v 4.0.0. based on Goodreads 1.5.3

Attached Files
File Type: zip goodreadsX-4.0.zip (23.8 KB, 33074 views)

Last edited by Pr.BarnArt; 10-21-2023 at 12:29 PM. Reason: Deprecated
Pr.BarnArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 07:54 PM   #2
Rellwood
Library Breeder (She/Her)
Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD (1) PW3 (4) PW3 2019 new edition (1)
Im not sure if you are watching this board, but I am having problems getting the ratings to populate in the columns - even if the publisher has the rating in it.

This is a new problem (within the past update) which I had to do because of other plugins requiring it.
Calibre 4.6
Rellwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-21-2019, 08:21 AM   #3
Pr.BarnArt
Addict
Pr.BarnArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pr.BarnArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pr.BarnArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pr.BarnArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pr.BarnArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pr.BarnArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pr.BarnArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pr.BarnArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pr.BarnArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pr.BarnArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pr.BarnArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rellwood View Post
Im not sure if you are watching this board, but I am having problems getting the ratings to populate in the columns - even if the publisher has the rating in it.

This is a new problem (within the past update) which I had to do because of other plugins requiring it.
Calibre 4.6
I see no issues when using 4.6.

Just to check:
using Goodreads_rating 3.0.0 ?
seperator between Publisher and rating: #PrB.rating# ?
using F_rating 3.1.0 ?
try F_rating.menu-> Check and create custom column.

what is the result if you click F-rating

Last edited by Pr.BarnArt; 01-18-2020 at 11:39 AM.
Old 01-17-2020, 12:31 PM   #4
Lynnloi
Lynnloi began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
frating not transferring decimal rating any longer

Hi.

Thank you for your most helpful plugin which I have used for some time.

I have not used the Calibre for several months and had just updated the plugins today. I noticed that the decimal ratings are no longer updated when I applied "frating" with the orange burst. I could see the decimal rating linked to the publisher e.g.

Tamara Gill#PrB.rating#4.36

However, the value is not transferred to the rating column anymore. Message given is:

calibre, version 4.8.0
Updated database: Finished extracting rating from publisherfield
- for a total of 0 books

Lynn
Lynnloi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 11:35 AM   #5
Pr.BarnArt
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynnloi View Post
I applied "frating" with the orange burst. I could see the decimal rating linked to the publisher e.g.
Tamara Gill#PrB.rating#4.36

However, the value is not transferred to the rating column anymore.
I cannot reproduce this
I tested with calibre 4.8 and ( 4.99 Beta python 3) with no errors
Goodreads-rating seems to work ok , according to the Publisher field.
Did you update f_rating to 3.1.0 ?
It is renamed to Float-rating (F-rating)

Last edited by Pr.BarnArt; 01-18-2020 at 11:50 AM.
Advert
Old 01-20-2020, 08:03 AM   #6
Lynnloi
Lynnloi began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Hi BarnArt,

I just noticed there is a newer orange-burst button on top labeled 'F_frating', in addition to the older orange-burst labeled "frating". I had been clicking on the older button and expecting it to work. It works perfectly now that I am clicking on the newer 'F_frating'.

Thank you very much for your response.

-Lynn-
Lynnloi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 10:27 AM   #7
Pr.BarnArt
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynnloi View Post
Hi BarnArt,

I just noticed there is a newer orange-burst button on top labeled 'F_frating', in addition to the older orange-burst labeled "frating". I had been clicking on the older button and expecting it to work. It works perfectly now that I am clicking on the newer 'F_frating'.

Thank you very much for your response.

-Lynn-
Good, you can remove the old plugin, it was a beta version. For the new one you will receive updates within Calibre

Last edited by Pr.BarnArt; 01-20-2020 at 03:56 PM.
Old 10-01-2020, 07:08 AM   #8
Pr.BarnArt
Addict

Update for Goodreads_rating , based on goodreads 1.5.1 , available at the start of this thread and within calibre.
For use with python 3.0
Old 10-01-2020, 05:00 PM   #9
dunhill
Guru
dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: moon+ reader, kindle paperwhite
Thank you very much for the update and I can switch to version 5
dunhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 05:08 AM   #10
stardot
stardot began at the beginning.

Device: Laptop
Thanks! Very useful! Saves me a lot of time. Good work!

Could you add the number of ratings?
stardot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 10:48 AM   #11
Pr.BarnArt
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by stardot View Post
Could you add the number of ratings?
It is possible, but takes some extra tasks, but I dont know how much demand there is for this
It's not on my to do list right now.
You can give it yourself a try, feel free to us the plugin as base.
If you combine them in one column, the kind of the clumn has to be changed to text and that will be related to sorting.
For adding an extra column, you have to do an extra split and create the extra columns.
Old 12-29-2020, 02:51 PM   #12
Rob557
Zealot
Rob557 has learned how to read e-booksRob557 has learned how to read e-booksRob557 has learned how to read e-booksRob557 has learned how to read e-booksRob557 has learned how to read e-booksRob557 has learned how to read e-booksRob557 has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kobo
decimal-ratings and ratings-count

A bulk determination of decimal-ratings and ratings-count are of interest both when deciding whether to select books to put into Calibre and when identifying a group of books within Calibre from which to select one for reading.

Prior to seeing this thread in mobileread.com, I was looking on the internet and came across the following March 2019 article. I don't have the technical ability to determine if the approach is similar to the approach used for the "F_frating" plugin, or might provide some related insights, so just posting the link here:
https://usman.io/goodreads-decimal-ratings-in-calibre/

I share the view expressed in that article and by others that the decimal-rating can be of questionable value without the rating-count. The article seems to make reference to using the ratings-count but I did not see where it was identifying how to bulk-download the ratings-count for Calibre.

Thank you for your work in creating the F-frating plugin. Its the first time I've seen that capability of downloading the decimal-ratings.

Last edited by Rob557; 12-29-2020 at 02:54 PM.
Rob557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 04:12 PM   #13
Rob557
Zealot
Rob557 has learned how to read e-booksRob557 has learned how to read e-booksRob557 has learned how to read e-booksRob557 has learned how to read e-booksRob557 has learned how to read e-booksRob557 has learned how to read e-booksRob557 has learned how to read e-books

PS. I now see that this "Goodreads_ratings" thread is one branch-off from the following thread that also addressed the "frating" plugin, and extended from 2013 to Dec 2019 (but is now closed):

[ORIGINAL] https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=223688

and, as noted in the starter-posting above, the other branch-off thread is the related renamed "F_rating" (Floating Rate) plugin thread:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=325652
Old 01-05-2021, 09:26 AM   #14
Pr.BarnArt
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob557 View Post
It is almost the same concept, except that I don't want to use the publisher field for it.
The other point is to combine the rating en the rating-count will create the need of a complex filter, which not every user will understand.
Therefore if also grabbing the rating count, it should be placed in a seperate column.

Last edited by Pr.BarnArt; 01-05-2021 at 09:29 AM.
Old 01-06-2021, 06:27 AM   #15
Rob557
Zealot

ratings count

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pr.BarnArt View Post
... if also grabbing the rating count, it should be placed in a separate column.
I fully agree that ratings count should be in a separate column.

It would seem that whatever methodology can download decimal ratings from Goodreads should be readily modifiable to download the ratings count as well ??

For many people it would be a very important, although sometimes misleading, criteria to help decide which books to read.