Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 10-14-2019, 08:49 AM   #1
Bowcat
Bowcat began at the beginning.

Device: none
File 'META-INF/encryption.xml' in EPUB not listed in manifest!

Hi there, I am struggling with my epub. The Epub validator comes back all fine but when I upload to Smashwords, I get this response (see header). All this means nothing to me but I am getting help with the epub so any help much appreciated.

Bowcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 08:56 AM   #2
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Delete the file META-INF/encryption.xml from your ePub.

Or if you need that file (because of, say, obfuscated embedded fonts), then include the file in the ePub's manifest.

What are you using to edit your ePub?
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-14-2019, 08:02 PM   #3
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
An interesting error. I've only seen it once and that was due to a braindead epub editor I was testing which placed encryption.xml in the root of the epub zip file (along with every other file except for container.xml which was in the META-INF directory).

If they are referring to the manifest section of content.opf, a file in the META-INF directory should not be listed there. If they are referring to the optional manifest.xml file which would be located in the META-INF directory, it is optional and I have never seen it used.

OTOH, unless your epub used either encryption or obfuscated fonts, you should not need the encryption.xml file present. You might want to extract it from your epub (use your favourite unzipper) and take a look at it.

The next bit is a sample encryption.xml from an epub with obfuscated fonts:

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<encryption xmlns="urn:oasis:names:tc:opendocument:xmlns:container" xmlns:enc="http://www.w3.org/2001/04/xmlenc#">
  <enc:EncryptedData>
    <enc:EncryptionMethod Algorithm="http://ns.adobe.com/pdf/enc#RC"/>
    <enc:CipherData>
      <enc:CipherReference URI="OEBPS/Fonts/font0029A.ttf"/>
    </enc:CipherData>
  </enc:EncryptedData>
  <enc:EncryptedData>
    <enc:EncryptionMethod Algorithm="http://ns.adobe.com/pdf/enc#RC"/>
    <enc:CipherData>
      <enc:CipherReference URI="OEBPS/Fonts/font0029B.ttf"/>
    </enc:CipherData>
  </enc:EncryptedData>