Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-21-2019, 08:56 PM   #1
dibster
dibster began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Is there a patch to display epub covers the same as kepubs on the home screen/shelf?

I don't really know how else to explain it without pictures, so I attached some screenshots from my Kobo Clara HD. Apparently Kobos display book covers on the home screen and the books list differently depending on if it's a kepub or epub format. Kepubs are displayed larger and at the native aspect ratio of the cover without any borders or pillarboxing. Epubs, on the other hand display much smaller, and are forced into a 3:4 box and display white borders on either side if the image doesn't match that aspect ratio (or stretches the image if it's set not to preserve aspect ratio). In the screenshots, I loaded epubs first and then converted them to kepub to show the difference.

Is there some way to have the epub covers display the same as kepubs? I much prefer epubs for their cross-compatibility and rendering, but the smaller pillarboxed covers are the one turnoff. If no patch exists, how feasible would it be to enable this? This would be something I'm sure many people would be interested in, but I couldn't find any threads discussing this issue. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_002.png
Views:	184
Size:	424.1 KB
ID:	172027   Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_001.png
Views:	182
Size:	464.2 KB
ID:	172028   Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_004.png
Views:	182
Size:	587.7 KB
ID:	172029   Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_003.png
Views:	183
Size:	685.2 KB
ID:	172030  
dibster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 09:16 PM   #2
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
How are you transferring epubs & kepubs to your Kobo? If you're using calibre you should make sure to also enable the options which will transfer thumbnails/screensavers at the same time as you transfer the epubs/kepubs.

For books already on the Kobo, you can also use the calibre Kobo Utilities plugin to resend all cover thumbnails/screensavers to overwrite the "faulty" ones.

If you're getting what you've called "pillarboxed covers" it suggests you're not doing either of the above and, instead, you're allowing the Kobo to do its own extraction of thumbnails/screensavers. In this case I believe all it does with eoubs is use whatever is on page 1 of the epub - which will include any white sidebars if you see them there. Using calibre to transfer covers will stop the Kobo doing its own extraction.

Last edited by jackie_w; 06-21-2019 at 09:19 PM.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-21-2019, 09:56 PM   #3
dibster
dibster began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
How are you transferring epubs & kepubs to your Kobo? If you're using calibre you should make sure to also enable the options which will transfer thumbnails/screensavers at the same time as you transfer the epubs/kepubs.

For books already on the Kobo, you can also use the calibre Kobo Utilities plugin to resend all cover thumbnails/screensavers to overwrite the "faulty" ones.

If you're getting what you've called "pillarboxed covers" it suggests you're not doing either of the above and, instead, you're allowing the Kobo to do its own extraction of thumbnails/screensavers. In this case I believe all it does with eoubs is use whatever is on page 1 of the epub - which will include any white sidebars if you see them there. Using calibre to transfer covers will stop the Kobo doing its own extraction.
Wow, turns out I didn't have the "Upload covers" option enabled in the device settings . That seemed to do the trick lol, thanks!
dibster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 10:30 PM   #4
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by dibster View Post
Wow, turns out I didn't have the "Upload covers" option enabled in the device settings . That seemed to do the trick lol, thanks!
You will also want to have the "Keep aspect ratio" option checked as well.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote