Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-07-2019, 12:26 AM   #1
kobo.man
kobo.man began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
How to bypass new Kobo setup screen?

I bought a Kobo Rakuten, I have copied free epub books over to it. I switched it on, but it keeps insisting on:
Set up over Wifi
or
Don't have a wifi network

If I don't want to do either and just read the books I copied over, how do I do that?

Also I just copied the books and dumped them in no particular folder, is that the right way or should I set up a new folder for them?
kobo.man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 12:45 AM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobo.man View Post
I bought a Kobo Rakuten, I have copied free epub books over to it. I switched it on, but it keeps insisting on:
Set up over Wifi
or
Don't have a wifi network

If I don't want to do either and just read the books I copied over, how do I do that?

Also I just copied the books and dumped them in no particular folder, is that the right way or should I set up a new folder for them?
The Kobo devices need to be setup. There is plenty of discussion here about how to fake this. A search should find it.

And you can sideload to any directory that doesn't start with a dot. Putting them in the root directory will work, but using subdirectories will generally work better as you add more books.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-07-2019, 02:54 AM   #3
kobo.man

what would I need to type in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
The Kobo devices need to be setup. There is plenty of discussion here about how to fake this. A search should find it.
What should I type into the search box to get those results?
Old 05-07-2019, 03:07 AM   #4
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
easiest way is to sign up with a trash / fake email address and disable wifi afterwards
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 07:34 AM   #5
kobo.man

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostschutz View Post
easiest way is to sign up with a trash / fake email address and disable wifi afterwards
What if I don't want to even connect to wifi or download the desktop app, but rather just read the epub books I copied and pasted from the older Kobo device - is there a way to do that?
Advert
Old 05-07-2019, 07:54 AM   #6
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
What if I don't want to even connect to wifi or download the desktop app, but rather just read the epub books I copied and pasted from the older Kobo device - is there a way to do that?
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=82265

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=217160
see Registration Bypassing

This is how I found it
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=mobileread+kobo...ut+registering

I still think that connecting to a WiFi once and registering to fake name and fake email address (see mailinator.com) is *MUCH* less effort.

Last edited by kacir; 05-07-2019 at 07:57 AM.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 07:56 AM   #7
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
I don't think so.
You only need a fake email, it doesn't need to exist, and wifi once.
No desktop app needed. No credit card needed.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 08:43 AM   #8
BloodRagg
Zealot
BloodRagg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BloodRagg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BloodRagg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BloodRagg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BloodRagg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BloodRagg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BloodRagg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BloodRagg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BloodRagg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BloodRagg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BloodRagg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Assuming that you are a windows user:
1. Connect your Kobo
2. Navigate to KOBOeReader/.kobo, there should be a file name KoboReader.sqlite (copy the link)
3. Download https://sqlite.org/2019/sqlite-tools...86-3280000.zip, and unpack it.
4. Open command prompt in the folder above.
5. sqlite3 (paste the link)
6. copy and paste this: INSERT INTO user(UserID,UserKey) VALUES('1','');
7. type .quit
BloodRagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 09:31 AM   #9
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
If you have another Kobo device, running 3.x/4.x firmware, copying over the entire structure (including Kobo/KoboReader.sqlite) while preserving timestamps, might make it work and also transfer the reading progress, collections etc.

Otherwise insert something into the Users table, although there can be side effects ( I stopped doing that when it caused the Settings menu to crash the reader ). Using a fake email address is quick and painless and makes sure everything is setup correctly.

Last edited by frostschutz; 05-07-2019 at 09:39 AM.
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 11:07 AM   #10
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
See

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papered Over View Post
Where exactly do these value go?

I'm looking at the file in atom or textmate.

Thanks in advance for help.
See

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodRagg View Post
1. Connect your Kobo
2. Navigate to KOBOeReader/.kobo, there should be a file name KoboReader.sqlite (copy the link)
3. Download https://sqlite.org/2019/sqlite-tools...86-3280000.zip, and unpack it.
7. type .quit

Last edited by PeterT; 07-26-2019 at 11:10 AM.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 12:19 PM   #11
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
1. Connect your Kobo
7. type .quit
If you use Linux, likely you have SQLite already and can use the package manager to install a desktop GUI (if there isn't one already)
Make a backup copy of KoboReader.sqlite to the PC/Laptop
use the SQLite GUI to do step 6 on the kobo file.

Or just invent an imaginary email address and connect to WiFi once, even somewhere else if you have no WiFi.
Old 03-25-2020, 04:32 PM   #12
ersanchez
ersanchez began at the beginning.

Device: android + calibre companion + FB Reader
Quote:
1. Connect your Kobo
7. type .quit
Thank you so much for this!

I was able to get this going on Linux in less than 1-minute!

I really appreciate your help - you rule.
ersanchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 05:17 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
WOW! You people are really paranoid.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 05:56 AM   #14
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
WOW! You people are really paranoid.
You don't have to be paranoid to use a device you paid for the way you want to use it. Personally I don't mind connecting to my books online, but I understand that others don't want to do that.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 07:02 AM   #15
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

There is no need to bypass the Kobo set up screen. Simply use an imaginary email address. They don't check it or send mail or require payment card details

With a kindle, you DO need a working email address, but you can bypass putting in a payment card by sending a $1 gift voucher to that email, bought on Amazon.com as the USA seems to be the default if there is no address. It might vary by IP address, but that was the case in Ireland. The Collections don't work without registration on a Kindle, unless it's a very old one.

The Kobo isn't a problem at all.