Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-05-2008, 11:29 AM   #1
Ler0y Jenkins
Connoisseur
Ler0y Jenkins doesn't litterLer0y Jenkins doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505
Two Questions about the PRS-ACL1 Light Accessory

I'm contemplating purchasing a PRS-505 and I'm really interested in this light/cover combo but I have two questions:

1. What color is it? I've read some reviews that say it's blue and others that say it's black. There doesn't appear to be multiple model numbers so I'm not sure which is correct.

2. How durable is the light screen? I've owned a lightwedge for hardback books and the thing scratched so easily it was ridiculous. I haven't heard anything about this one scratching easily so I'm assuming it's not as bad as the traditional lightwedge??

Thanks,

Kevin
Ler0y Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 11:53 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Given how much the 505 costs and then the cost of the light on top of that, you might be best looking at the 700 instead.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-05-2008, 02:35 PM   #3
tdanzie
Connoisseur
tdanzie is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.tdanzie is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.tdanzie is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.tdanzie is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.tdanzie is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.tdanzie is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.tdanzie is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.tdanzie is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.tdanzie is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.tdanzie is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.tdanzie is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: iPad Pro, Kobo H2O, Kindle Voyage, Kobo Aura One
It came in both colors. I think the first ones that came out were blue, now there are black. I purchased mine back in July or August and received a black one.
tdanzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 03:03 PM   #4
Ler0y Jenkins
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Given how much the 505 costs and then the cost of the light on top of that, you might be best looking at the 700 instead.
That was my original intention but I don't like the screen contrast of the 700 or the touch-screen feature. I want to see one in person before deciding definitively, but for now I'm leaning toward the 505/light combo rather than the 700.
Old 11-05-2008, 03:04 PM   #5
Ler0y Jenkins
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdanzie View Post
It came in both colors. I think the first ones that came out were blue, now there are black. I purchased mine back in July or August and received a black one.
Ok, thanks.
Advert
Old 11-05-2008, 03:55 PM   #6
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ler0y Jenkins View Post
That was my original intention but I don't like the screen contrast of the 700 or the touch-screen feature. I want to see one in person before deciding definitively, but for now I'm leaning toward the 505/light combo rather than the 700.
But, won't laying the light wedge on it cause the same slight dimming effect also? Granted you don't always use the lightwedge.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 03:59 PM   #7
shopintheusa
Enthusiast
shopintheusa began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
ACL1 comes only in black.
shopintheusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 05:46 PM   #8
Ler0y Jenkins
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
But, won't laying the light wedge on it cause the same slight dimming effect also? Granted you don't always use the lightwedge.

BOb
That's a good question. I guess I planned on using the lightwedge only when needed. Also, I don't know if it would cause the same effect. To me it looks like the 700 has a different screen than the 505. I might be wrong but I don't think the contrast difference is only a result of the built-in light on the 700.
Old 11-06-2008, 08:52 AM   #9
135AV8TOR
135AV8TOR began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ler0y Jenkins View Post
I agree with this comment. I went to the Sony store and looked at both the 505 and the 700 and was disappointed by the 700. I found the 505 screen crisp and clear even in the somewhat dim "mood lighting" of the store. The 700 on the other hand seemed less crisp and almost a little blury due (I believe) to the touch screen film on top. And no - fingerprints were not the issue. The screen was just (to me) less readable in almost all lighting conditions and I wasn't too impressed by the lighting system. Also the sales rep told me they went to plastic casing on the 700 to save manufacturing cost so again I felt the 505 was the better product even though it does not have all the features and memory of the 700. Just my 2-cents.
135AV8TOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 04:29 PM   #10
Ler0y Jenkins
Connoisseur

Thanks for the replies. What about durability? Does the lens scratch easily? What do people use to clean it?
Old 11-16-2008, 11:48 PM   #11
mgrunk
Zealot
mgrunk has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
I haven't scratched mine - but I don't leave it open unattended - it does get smudged and can be a bit of a PITB to clean off, but like I said no scratches. The light is a bit uneven? almost like it's paper underneat that is a little wavey? But, it's a much better experience than the 3 other lights I had previously. And, the batteries last a long time - and since they're AA, it's easy to use rechargeables.
mgrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 05:05 PM   #12
Ler0y Jenkins
Connoisseur

Thanks. I actually received mine a couple of days ago and have been using it ever since. It is definitely more durable than the p-book lightwedge. My p-book lightwedge looks like I took sandpaper to it even though I've always been very careful with it.