Notices

Old 07-29-2018, 02:39 PM   #1
nozonyan
Enthusiast
nozonyan began at the beginning.

Device: none
footnotes popup

Hi.

I've sideloaded an epub file to my kobo aura one using calibre and extended kobo driver which automatically turned it into a kepub.

The file is heavily annotated but for some reason when clicking a footnote it doesn't show it as a popup but redirects me to the footnote pages, making the reading process quite cumbersome and tiring.

I do not have this problem by converting the file from epub to mobi and loading it to my kindle. But I can't have 2 readers with me everytime throughout the day.

Is there any way to fix the problem?

Here's the code

Code:
<div class="numeroverso">
         <p class="calibre32"><a id="Document--7-Index--0-Item--1" class="pcalibre10 calibre33 pcalibre7 pcalibre8 pcalibre9"></a><a href="../Text/part0043.html#Document--8-Index--0-Item--1" class="pcalibre10 calibre33 pcalibre7 pcalibre8 pcalibre9">1</a></p>
      </div>

<p class="firstverse">Per correr miglior acque alza le vele</p>
footnote code

Code:
<div class="main2">
     <p class="firstnote"><a id="Document--8-Index--0-Item--1" class="pcalibre10 pcalibre7 pcalibre8 pcalibre9 calibre29"></a><a href="../Text/part0010_split_002.html#Document--7-Index--0-Item--1" class="pcalibre10 pcalibre7 pcalibre8 pcalibre9 calibre29">1</a>-3. La poesia di Dante si avvia a cantare un più sereno argomento, lasciando l’angoscioso mondo infernale.<a href="../Text/part0010_split_002.html#Document--7-Index--0-Item--1" class="pcalibre10 pcalibre7 pcalibre8 pcalibre9 calibre29">←</a></p>

<p class="calibre36">– <em class="calibre8">Per correr…</em>: attacco liberatorio, dove l’immagine della nave che <em class="calibre8">corre</em> leggera sulle <em class="calibre8">acque</em> della nuova cantica già esprime la nuova condizione dell’animo, di serena fiducia (vedi i verbi <em class="calibre8">correre, alzare</em>), di ritrovata libertà. Il primo verso, intessuto di consonanti liquide, significanti leggerezza, dà anche il timbro musicale a tutto il canto: si confrontino i più celebri tra i versi che seguiranno, 13 e 117, e in genere tutto l’ordito del linguaggio qui usato.<a href="../Text/part0010_split_002.html#Document--7-Index--0-Item--1" class="pcalibre10 pcalibre7 pcalibre8 pcalibre9 calibre29">←</a></p>

<p class="calibre36">– <em class="calibre8">miglior acque</em>: è la nuova materia, paragonata al <em class="calibre8">mar crudele</em> dell’<em class="calibre8">Inferno</em>. La stessa metafora tornerà all’inizio del <em class="calibre8">Paradiso</em> (II 1 sgg.) accomunando, come qui, la poesia e la realtà della vita.<a href="../Text/part0010_split_002.html#Document--7-Index--0-Item--1" class="pcalibre10 pcalibre7 pcalibre8 pcalibre9 calibre29">←</a></p>

<p class="calibre36">– <em class="calibre8">alza le vele</em>: quasi segno di confidente e sicuro viaggio.<a href="../Text/part0010_split_002.html#Document--7-Index--0-Item--1" class="pcalibre10 pcalibre7 pcalibre8 pcalibre9 calibre29">←</a></p>
nozonyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 05:14 PM   #2
mathil
Evangelist
mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O/Glo HD/Libra 2, Kindle PW3/PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by nozonyan View Post
Hi.

I've sideloaded an epub file to my kobo aura one using calibre and extended kobo driver which automatically turned it into a kepub.

The file is heavily annotated but for some reason when clicking a footnote it doesn't show it as a popup but redirects me to the footnote pages, making the reading process quite cumbersome and tiring.

I do not have this problem by converting the file from epub to mobi and loading it to my kindle. But I can't have 2 readers with me everytime throughout the day.

Is there any way to fix the problem?

I just tried that with my own copy (Purgatorio, e-Meridiani right?), and I'm seeing the same thing. It's happened in the past for me with other books, as well, and I always assumed it was because the footnote was way too long to fit into the popup windows (as is the case here), but I'm now wondering if the formatting of the footnote itself has something to do with it. I'll copy the full text of the footnote you posted above, to make it easier in case somebody can help you:

Code:
-3. La poesia di Dante si avvia a cantare un più sereno argomento, lasciando l’angoscioso mondo infernale.←
– Per correr…: attacco liberatorio, dove l’immagine della nave che corre leggera sulle acque della nuova cantica già esprime la nuova condizione dell’animo, di serena fiducia (vedi i verbi correre, alzare), di ritrovata libertà. Il primo verso, intessuto di consonanti liquide, significanti leggerezza, dà anche il timbro musicale a tutto il canto: si confrontino i più celebri tra i versi che seguiranno, 13 e 117, e in genere tutto l’ordito del linguaggio qui usato.←
– miglior acque: è la nuova materia, paragonata al mar crudele dell’Inferno. La stessa metafora tornerà all’inizio del Paradiso (II 1 sgg.) accomunando, come qui, la poesia e la realtà della vita.←
– alza le vele: quasi segno di confidente e sicuro viaggio.←
(the back arrows are individual links going back to the main text).
mathil is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-29-2018, 05:23 PM   #3
nozonyan
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathil View Post
I just tried that with my own copy (Purgatorio, e-Meridiani right?), and I'm seeing the same thing. It's happened in the past for me with other books, as well, and I always assumed it was because the footnote was way too long to fit into the popup windows (as is the case here), but I'm now wondering if the formatting of the footnote itself has something to do with it. I'll copy the full text of the footnote you posted above, to make it easier in case somebody can help you:

Code:
-3. La poesia di Dante si avvia a cantare un più sereno argomento, lasciando l’angoscioso mondo infernale.←
– Per correr…: attacco liberatorio, dove l’immagine della nave che corre leggera sulle acque della nuova cantica già esprime la nuova condizione dell’animo, di serena fiducia (vedi i verbi correre, alzare), di ritrovata libertà. Il primo verso, intessuto di consonanti liquide, significanti leggerezza, dà anche il timbro musicale a tutto il canto: si confrontino i più celebri tra i versi che seguiranno, 13 e 117, e in genere tutto l’ordito del linguaggio qui usato.←
– miglior acque: è la nuova materia, paragonata al mar crudele dell’Inferno. La stessa metafora tornerà all’inizio del Paradiso (II 1 sgg.) accomunando, come qui, la poesia e la realtà della vita.←
– alza le vele: quasi segno di confidente e sicuro viaggio.←
(the back arrows are individual links going back to the main text).
yes, e-meridiani

Thank you for your answer.
Old 07-29-2018, 08:13 PM   #4
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
There has been plenty of discussion on this in the past. And unless you change the book to epub3 and use the epub3 semantics, it is all a bit of guesswork as to what works. This is on both our and the softwares part.

The length isn't the issue. If the footnote is two long, only part will be displayed. And I'm pretty sure the renderer only considers the first paragraph as the footnote. I'd only expect to see it in the popup. And it doesn't look to long to be shown.

In this case, I think moving the destination id to the paragraph tag will work. Or wrapping the first line of text in the a tag. That's the first thing I would try. Or, depending on what the div is wrapping, moving the id to that might work as well.

The return links are not really needed as there will be a "Previous location" in the bottom bar after you go to the location. Most other ereaders and applications will have this as well. The two links might be confusing things.

The last thing I can think of is that the source link appears to be a number in it's own paragraph. To me, that would be a weird way to do a footnote. I could see the renderer deciding that this was a link, not a footnote reference. Especially if it is the first thing on the page.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 09:59 PM   #5
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
The footnote in the attached epub pops up for me when sent to Kobo as a kepub. I used the same method I always use for footnotes.

Where you have used 2 adjacent <a> tags, one for the id and the other for the href:
Code:
<p class="calibre32"><a id="..." class="..."></a><a href="..." class="...">1</a></p>
merge them into one containing both the id and the href:
Code:
<p class="calibre32"><a id="..." href="..." class="...">1</a></p>
... and the same for the footnote, change
Code:
<p class="firstnote"><a id="..." class="..."></a><a href="..." class="...">1</a>-3. La poesia di Dante si avvia a cantare un più sereno argomento, lasciando l’angoscioso mondo infernale.<a href="..." class="...">←</a></p>
to
Code:
<p class="firstnote"><a id="... href="..."" class="...">1</a>-3. La poesia di Dante si avvia a cantare un più sereno argomento, lasciando l’angoscioso mondo infernale.<a href="..." class="...">←</a></p>
If your book is coded consistently and you have some regex skills you should be able to fix the book quite quickly.

I'm not going to claim it's the best solution or the only solution, but it's always worked for me.
Attached Files
File Type: epub popup_footnote.epub (26.5 KB, 172 views)
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-30-2018, 07:45 AM   #6
nozonyan
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
There has been plenty of discussion on this in the past. And unless you change the book to epub3 and use the epub3 semantics, it is all a bit of guesswork as to what works. This is on both our and the softwares part.

The length isn't the issue. If the footnote is two long, only part will be displayed. And I'm pretty sure the renderer only considers the first paragraph as the footnote. I'd only expect to see it in the popup. And it doesn't look to long to be shown.

In this case, I think moving the destination id to the paragraph tag will work. Or wrapping the first line of text in the a tag. That's the first thing I would try. Or, depending on what the div is wrapping, moving the id to that might work as well.

The return links are not really needed as there will be a "Previous location" in the bottom bar after you go to the location. Most other ereaders and applications will have this as well. The two links might be confusing things.

The last thing I can think of is that the source link appears to be a number in it's own paragraph. To me, that would be a weird way to do a footnote. I could see the renderer deciding that this was a link, not a footnote reference. Especially if it is the first thing on the page.
I understand. Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
The footnote in the attached epub pops up for me when sent to Kobo as a kepub. I used the same method I always use for footnotes.

Where you have used 2 adjacent <a> tags, one for the id and the other for the href:
Code:
<p class="calibre32"><a id="..." class="..."></a><a href="..." class="...">1</a></p>
merge them into one containing both the id and the href:
Code:
<p class="calibre32"><a id="..." href="..." class="...">1</a></p>
... and the same for the footnote, change
Code:
<p class="firstnote"><a id="..." class="..."></a><a href="..." class="...">1</a>-3. La poesia di Dante si avvia a cantare un più sereno argomento, lasciando l’angoscioso mondo infernale.<a href="..." class="...">←</a></p>
to
Code:
<p class="firstnote"><a id="... href="..."" class="...">1</a>-3. La poesia di Dante si avvia a cantare un più sereno argomento, lasciando l’angoscioso mondo infernale.<a href="..." class="...">←</a></p>
If your book is coded consistently and you have some regex skills you should be able to fix the book quite quickly.

I'm not going to claim it's the best solution or the only solution, but it's always worked for me.
Thanks to you too. I'll see if I can manage.