Notices

Old 06-08-2018, 12:54 PM   #1
willbontrager
willbontrager began at the beginning.

Device: Various
Linux download "SyntaxError: invalid syntax"

My server is CentOS 6 - x86_64 (64-bit)

From the calibre-ebook.com/download_linux page, is this:

You can also do an "isolated" install that only touches files inside the installation directory and does not need to be run as root, like this:
wget -nv -O- https://download.calibre-ebook.com/linux-installer.sh | sh /dev/stdin install_dir=~/calibre-bin isolated=y

When I connect with SSH through Mac OS Terminal, this is the response to the command:

______@bontragerconnection.com [~]# wget -nv -O- https://download.calibre-ebook.com/linux-installer.sh | sh /dev/stdin install_dir=~/calibre-bin isolated=y
2018-06-08 11:34:48 URL:https://download.calibre-ebook.com/linux-installer.sh [30829/30829] -> "-" [1]
Using python executable: /usr/bin/python2
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "<string>", line 1, in <module>
File "<string>", line 760
return x.lower() in {'y', 'yes', '1', 'true'}
^
SyntaxError: invalid syntax
______@bontragerconnection.com [~]#

How can I get past that?

Thank you!

Will
willbontrager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 01:11 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I dont see how that error is possible. The line in the error message is not a syntax error, unless your server has a truly ancient version of python. In which case you can get around it by either installing a newer python or using the manual install instructions that are lower down on the download linux page.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-08-2018, 01:28 PM   #3
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
CentOS 6 uses Python 2.6.6.

bernie
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 02:49 PM   #4
willbontrager

Thank you, both of you.

The python version information:

>>> import sys
>>> print(sys.version)
2.6.6 (r266:84292, Aug 18 2016, 15:13:37)
[GCC 4.4.7 20120313 (Red Hat 4.4.7-17)]
>>>

I did install Calbre manually. A quick install.

Now I find GLIBC 2.17 isn't on the server so I have to get the hosting company to install that. But I'm moving with this and I thank you for the help over the hump.

Will
Old 06-08-2018, 04:26 PM   #5
willbontrager

Just FYI,

The hosting company responded with:

"Updating the version of glibc beyond what's offered by CentOS 6 is not recommended. Instead, we need to consider setting up a new server with CentOS 7, and then migrating your accounts to CentOS 7 if you require the version of glibc (2.17) offered in newer CentOS versions. Also new version (4.8) of gcc will available in CentOS 7. We believe this versions of gcc and glibc are sufficient for Calibre."

This forum has wonderful support.

Will
Advert
Old 06-08-2018, 05:25 PM   #6
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Do the upgrade CentOS 7-1804 ships with glibc 2.17.

bernie
Quote:
Originally Posted by willbontrager View Post
Just FYI,

The hosting company responded with:

"Updating the version of glibc beyond what's offered by CentOS 6 is not recommended. Instead, we need to consider setting up a new server with CentOS 7, and then migrating your accounts to CentOS 7 if you require the version of glibc (2.17) offered in newer CentOS versions. Also new version (4.8) of gcc will available in CentOS 7. We believe this versions of gcc and glibc are sufficient for Calibre."

This forum has wonderful support.

Will
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote