Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 07-08-2016, 09:49 AM   #1
avid01
Addict
avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4
Stock iBooks app does not go full screen for ePub/iBooks, only PDFs? Alternative?

I would like the stock iBooks app, but is there a way to full screen ePub iBooks, similarly it can full screen PDFs? Simply too much space is wasted for broad margins and page counter on the bottom of the screen on smaller screen iDevices.

Many recommend here MapleRead - I don't like it, the design looks old to me.

If it is absolutely no possible for iBooks to show ePub books full screen, is there another ebook reader app which basically does everything the iBooks app does, has a similar, clean design, including
- integration with Share Sheets
- reads PDFs and ePubs as well
- integrates with built-in dictionaries
- note taking, highlighting, bookmarking
+ can show ePub books full screen?

It can be free as well.

On the desktop I use Adobe Digital Editions (for what it's worth), for some reason its iOS app has pretty dismal reviews.

I don't know what else is out there worth considering.

Last edited by avid01; 07-08-2016 at 02:04 PM.
avid01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 08:16 AM   #2
johnnyb
Cloud Reader
johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Scribe, iPad Pro 11
Try Marvin if you do not need to sync between Mac and iPad...
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-10-2016, 09:07 AM   #3
democrite
Evangelist
democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.

Device: none
While I can understand the margin choices of iBooks – horizontal on larger devices is an attempt to set an optional line length for readability, and vertical allows the toolbars to always remain open and not obscure text though they are a bit big on an iPad Mini – I do wish there was a bit of adjustment, and that Apple would give a little more attention to iBooks which doesn't seem to get new features very often, for example iTunes and iOS Music mangement for larger collections has had many changes over the years yet iBooks none and font choice, particularly if you want greater Unicode coverage in a beautiful and readable font, still needs work. Vertical scrolling mode is an option if you're ok with it.

For other ePub-only choices, there's Marvin as mentioned (I believe PDF support planned), Hyphen, and Bluefire. There's also Kybook but the design is also a bit dated. Besides that, I can't think of anything else that's modern looking or somewhat modern unless you also want to try Google Books, Kobo, or Nook. As far as the 3rd party indie apps, the ones above I believe most have some issue with ePub rendering. Those that provide adjustments for paragraph margins and paragraph indents, they all have problems with it, each in their own particular way. It's possible if your ePubs consist of average paragraphs without quotes, epigraphs, poetry, hanging indents, etc., you might not notice. I've mentioned it. Let's hope it gets fixed soon. The older Marvin, version 2 now named Classic, works well though still has minor rendering issues. There are other apps, and if you search the store for ePub, you'll find 'em. I've tried some, and others I haven't in a while. None of them that I can remember get mentioned often here so maybe they aren't too notable.

If you want PDF support with highlighting that's fairly easy to sync back to your desktop, a separate PDF app is likely best. GoodReader is a favorite of many though I don't like the UI very much, though apparently it's going to be changed someday. PDF Expert is pretty nice; there are quite a few others but that's what I stick with.

Last edited by democrite; 07-10-2016 at 11:33 AM.
democrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 01:30 PM   #4
cedhax
Addict
cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by avid01 View Post
I would like the stock iBooks app, but is there a way to full screen ePub iBooks, similarly it can full screen PDFs? Simply too much space is wasted for broad margins and page counter on the bottom of the screen on smaller screen iDevices.

Many recommend here MapleRead - I don't like it, the design looks old to me.
IMHO, MapleRead is more or less what iBooks should have become by now. MapleRead manifests the design principle of many fine Apple products--offering the most useful functionalities with a friendly and beautiful user interface. MapleRead looks both classic and modern to me, depending on how you configure it.

Quote:
If it is absolutely no possible for iBooks to show ePub books full screen, is there another ebook reader app which basically does everything the iBooks app does, has a similar, clean design, including
- integration with Share Sheets
- reads PDFs and ePubs as well
- integrates with built-in dictionaries
- note taking, highlighting, bookmarking
+ can show ePub books full screen?

It can be free as well.
Interestingly, the brand new free iPhone app "MapleRead CX" (released just a few hours you posted) more than perfectly matches your listed criteria for an ideal app to replace iBooks, except for the condition you called "integration with Share Sheets". As I recalled, iBooks has no such concept of "share sheet", while it seems that "share sheet" is a Marvin-only jargon.

Quote:
On the desktop I use Adobe Digital Editions (for what it's worth), for some reason its iOS app has pretty dismal reviews.
It is an irony that while you warn people about Adobe with the link ("Adobe is Spying on Users"), you still use Adobe Digital Editions. Why not use the safer iBooks desktop version? With the size of the desktop, the wide page margin of EPUB books no longer bothers me as much.

Quote:
I don't know what else is out there worth considering.
Even a fool must know by now.
cedhax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 10:44 AM   #5
avid01
Addict
avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4
Thanks for all your recommendations, the system does not allow me to give more than one Karma.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cedhax View Post
As I recalled, iBooks has no such concept of "share sheet", while it seems that "share sheet" is a Marvin-only jargon.
iOS has a concept like Share Sheets, as far as I know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cedhax View Post
It is an irony that while you warn people about Adobe with the link ("Adobe is Spying on Users"), you still use Adobe Digital Editions. Why not use the safer iBooks desktop version? With the size of the desktop, the wide page margin of EPUB books no longer bothers me as much.
I didn't say I have a Mac desktop as well.
avid01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-13-2016, 12:35 AM   #6
democrite
Evangelist
democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.

Device: none
If there's concern for ADE's sending info to Adobe, one can look for older versions like 2.x. As far as readers on the desktop, indeed I still use ADE quite often since others are a bit slow. calibre's vertical scrolling shows promise but still has quite a bit of work to be done and it seems it's not being done. Viewers on the desktop are still quite lacking.
democrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 02:32 AM   #7
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
You might find that there is no single app which will do all that you want. Sadly, that is usually the case.

I read that thread you referred to (I had never heard the term Share Sheets and am still a bit mystified) and saw that Florence had referred you to a browser called iCab Mobile, which may go some way to assisting you in the matter of html to epub.

I've looked at a lot of readers over the years and havent yet seen any that do all you want. Bluefire might do much of it, so might Pocketbook REader, but neither will do everything.

[edit] just took another look at Bluefire REader, and its probably going to be as close as you'll get to what you want. You can authorise for Adobe DRM, and annotate, define, copy etc. There's also some syncing between devices. Dont know how it would go for PDF, as I don't use those. Its free though so you may as well try it out.

Last edited by kyteflyer; 07-14-2016 at 03:12 AM.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 12:28 PM   #8
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
For PDFs, you might also take a look at PDF Expert.
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 01:28 PM   #9
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
I would check out Bookari. You have full control over horizontal and vertical margins. OPDS support. It syncs reading position between 2 devices (Android or iOS) with 80Mb storage for free, and they offer inexpensive cloud storage for as little as $10/yr (includes annotation sync, for 4 devices, 1GB storage). PDF support is nice too, auto-cropping etc. Supports Adobe DRM. TTS on both iOS and Android. ePub3 support.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote