Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-14-2016, 10:07 PM   #1
Bob the builder
Bob the builder got an A in P-Chem.Bob the builder got an A in P-Chem.Bob the builder got an A in P-Chem.Bob the builder got an A in P-Chem.Bob the builder got an A in P-Chem.Bob the builder got an A in P-Chem.Bob the builder got an A in P-Chem.Bob the builder got an A in P-Chem.Bob the builder got an A in P-Chem.Bob the builder got an A in P-Chem.Bob the builder got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Kobo H2O
Kobo never again! What other brands/models are recommended?

I recently posted about a Kobo H20 that died after its screen cracked. And noted that nowhere in the user guide or anywhere on the website is there any indication of how fragile the device is - which after reading discussions on this site, found out that most e-readers are quite fragile. And about the frustrations of Kobo customer service.

I then - stupidly - decided to buy another Kobo H20, because I love the device (apart obviously from its fragility). I then - stupidly - ordered one off the Kobo website, which brought me to another level of brain-fart.

In a world of outsourced customer service that is frustrating and unresponsive, Kobo stands tall. It truly is amazingly bad. I got online feedback that my address was invalid (I'll spare readers the trivial details). The online responses I got were slow and nonsensical. There is no way to track discussions, promised transcripts of online chats and phone calls didn't come, you can't access your order or shipping details online. The phone discussions were as bad (the staff I spoke to were polite, but obviously untrained and unable to provide much meaningful information), worsened by the amazing fact that they are unable to access their order or shipping database to simply check on the status of an order.

After a week of back and forth and multiple attempts to cancel my order, I finally have confirmation that it's cancelled and refunded. But will launch a disputed transaction with my bank, as experience would suggest the refund will not go smoothly.

So, after a few stupid decisions, I don't think I can go back to Kobo, they are that sh*t. Pity the actual devices are great to use when they don't break. I'm not even sure that I can be bothered going back to an e-reader, but ...

Can anyone recommend a brand and model that is open-source and flexible? Preferably robust too! All I want is an e-reader. I don't particularly care if it's touchscreen, has internet access, can cook me an egg or whatever.

I just want something I can read ebooks on (especially open-source ones), that doesn't strain my eyes and is preferably reasonably robust. Waterproof would be great, but I realise that's probably not available except for Kobo.
Bob the builder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 10:58 PM   #2
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob the builder View Post
Can anyone recommend a brand and model that is open-source and flexible? Preferably robust too! All I want is an e-reader. I don't particularly care if it's touchscreen, has internet access, can cook me an egg or whatever.

I just want something I can read ebooks on (especially open-source ones), that doesn't strain my eyes and is preferably reasonably robust. Waterproof would be great, but I realise that's probably not available except for Kobo.
The other two choices are Kindles and Nooks. Both have touch screens. The Nook has a front light as do most models of the Kindle.

My preference for reading is a Kindle and I have several but I have a Nook Glowlight Plus and a couple of Kobos, although they're older ones. From my experience I don't there's any reason to assume that one is going to be less fragile than the others. They're all electronic devices which means they're fragile and they all have screens which are the must vulnerable part.

As I said I prefer the Kindle and if you want good customer service Amazon is sure the place to get it. But my suggestion, if you're happy with the Kobo, is to stick with it and learn that you have to take care of electronic devices and sometimes things go wrong even if you do.

I'm typing this on my week old Acer laptop which will be replaced Thursday because it's having hardware problems. I could have opted for a different model and brand but I like the thing and I'm getting another one just like it. It's just one of the things that you have to deal with when you buy electronics. Sometimes things go wrong.

By the way, I use my Kobos mostly to lend books out so they're easily the most roughly treated devices I have but they've held up very well. One is about 3 years old. The other is older but I bought it used on Ebay about a year and a half ago. Either of them could probably pass as a new device even though they've been used by a lot of different people. There's nothing inherently wrong with Kobos.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-14-2016, 11:24 PM   #3
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
You could go with an Onyx.
Though if you find one that does the dishes, please notify me immediately.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 11:37 PM   #4
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Kobo is the only waterproof device you can buy from an Australian store, which I strongly recommend doing. They're all breakable.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 11:42 PM   #5
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
If you like the H2O don't cut off your nose to spite your face. Either buy it in Australia (I know at least Myer and JB Hi Fi have them, and both have online stores). Before the model became available here I bought from Chapters Indigo. It arrived from Canada in about a week! And, whatever reader you get, keep it in a good case.
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-15-2016, 04:55 AM   #6
Bob the builder
Bob the builder got an A in P-Chem.Bob the builder got an A in P-Chem.Bob the builder got an A in P-Chem.Bob the builder got an A in P-Chem.Bob the builder got an A in P-Chem.Bob the builder got an A in P-Chem.Bob the builder got an A in P-Chem.Bob the builder got an A in P-Chem.Bob the builder got an A in P-Chem.Bob the builder got an A in P-Chem.Bob the builder got an A in P-Chem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl View Post
If you like the H2O don't cut off your nose to spite your face. Either buy it in Australia (I know at least Myer and JB Hi Fi have them, and both have online stores). Before the model became available here I bought from Chapters Indigo. It arrived from Canada in about a week! And, whatever reader you get, keep it in a good case.
True, but I'm so irritated with the company that I'm willing to deal with some disfugurement!

I also bought if from Chapters ...

And yes, it has been in a good case. Travelled the world for two months over Chrissie, actually, and no harm done. One little bump in a backpack in the wrong place (I can only think it was when I put the backpack down) f*cked it though ...
Old 06-15-2016, 05:17 AM   #7
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
The Tolino Vision 3 HD is waterproof, not sure where you'd be able to buy it though. Even here in the UK it's only available from certain sellers at a more expensive price. Pocketbook, Onyx are also options, but again availability and follow up support is a problem.

Perhaps your best solution is to buy a cheaper and smaller ereader (Kobo Touch) for use when you are travelling, and keep the H2O for reading at home?
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 06:58 AM   #8
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Very nicely written post.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob the builder View Post
... a brand and model that is open-source and flexible? Preferably robust too! All I want is an e-reader. I don't particularly care if it's touchscreen, has internet access, can cook me an egg or whatever.
If you find such a device, please let us know. We will be *very* interested.

There are a couple of very obscure devices out there, somewhere, that feature an e-ink screen that is now on a fragile glass substrate.
- PlasticLogic had one large format reader that they showed off at various fairs.
- Wexler Flex One had a 5" bendable device, but the device mysteriously disappeared from the market after it was introduced a few years ago.

One of manufacturers of large-format [insanely expensive] e-ink readers uses plastic backed e-ink. I can't remember which one. Sony?

That is it. We have been waiting for a non-fragile e-ink screen ever since there were e-ink devices and, of course, reports of broken screens ;-)

As far as the open-source goes, there *is* one device, called Booq Cervantes.
http://the-digital-reader.com/2015/0...ource-ereader/

In the meanwhile you will have to use a device with a glass-backed screen and a sturdier case / transport box.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 07:22 AM   #9
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre 1, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle, Kobo Libre Colour
E-ink screens are fragile. I've had a lot of Kobo devices. My son is currently using an old Touch I got for $12, which has a black spot of damage on the screen, still working fine! Not a great battery life, but for him, it doesn't matter. If it works with a damaged screen, I'd say Kobos are pretty good!

But the larger the device, the more fragile, IMO. For world travelling, I'd go with a Kobo Glo HD in a sturdy case. Or a Kindle Voyage, I think they have a metal frame. Both are 6". I have a larger device (Kobo Aura HD) but I never take it out of the house. My favorite to-go device is the 5" Kobo Mini.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 10:17 AM   #10
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
I have never found e-ink readers to be all that fragile, actually. I have owned a Cybook Gen3, two Kindle DXGs, two Kobo Aura HDs and am now on my third Kobo H2O. They always went everywhere with me (and thus got nicked or left on the train a few times, hence the duplicates ) and got dropped a few times.

I never, ever have broken one in the past nine years. Not even the large and thin DXGs, which probably were potentially the most fragile of the lot. Yes, sitting on them is probably not advisable, but I have dropped them all a time or two and they all survived. Get a good (stiff! Twisting forces are the enemy) case and they will live.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 04:05 AM   #11
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbovenka View Post
I have never found e-ink readers to be all that fragile, actually. I have owned a Cybook Gen3, two Kindle DXGs, two Kobo Aura HDs and am now on my third Kobo H2O. They always went everywhere with me (and thus got nicked or left on the train a few times, hence the duplicates ) and got dropped a few times.
I think that one person's "gentle handling" is another person's "you did WHAT?!", and we probably all set the bar somewhere different. Some people think a device will (should?) only break with a severe impact, like dropping naked onto a tiled floor. There have been people who have left their device in a car in the sun or forced it into an overstuffed backpack, who thought that wasn't an unreasonable or risky thing to do at the time. And there there are the unconscious things - I know how very easy it would be to lean on my Kobo without thinking, if it's in my hand while I'm getting into bed, so that's something I'm extremely careful about - but I think it would be very easy to do it unconsciously and without remembering that I did it.

It wouldn't occur to me to complain to a manufacturer if I broke a wine glass. Same with an ereader.

Last edited by meeera; 06-16-2016 at 04:09 AM.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 08:53 AM   #12
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, PW SE & Kindle 2022, Kobo Libra 2
All ereaders are fragile. I've had over a dozen and only ever broke one when it was dropped. If you like the H20 get another one but a) get a good solid case and b) don't buy it from Kobo. I tried to buy a GLO HD from Kobo, the one they sent me was faulty, it was a nightmare getting return instructions and the whole transaction from order to refund took over a month. They are truly awful.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 09:51 PM   #13
Pomtroll
Guru
Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, Sony T1, Kindle Touch, Kindle PW1
I've only had one broken e-reader & I fell on it. So although all are fragile to some degree, I've only broken one out of 7 readers.
Pomtroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 01:01 AM   #14
Bob the builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
It wouldn't occur to me to complain to a manufacturer if I broke a wine glass. Same with an ereader.
Any time I've bought wine glasses there's been stickers all over the box saying "FRAGILE!". The same can't be said for the Kobo packaging or user guides. Now I know they're as fragile as wine glasses I'd treat them as such - but a reasonable consumer, based on the company's info, would assume they'd be similar in durability to a laptop or phone or tablet, none of which I've ever broken, despite not being in a cover, nor being treated as carefully as the Kobo.
Old 06-17-2016, 01:02 AM   #15
Bob the builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
They are truly awful.
Double-plus yes!

Tags
e-reader, non-kobo, open source, robust