Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-07-2016, 01:38 PM   #1
evanft
Zealot
evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
Disable front light completely?

Is there a way to completely disable the front light on the KV? I'm coming from a K4NT and I'm getting eye strain even with the light at the lowest setting.

I'm already jailbroken on FW 5.6.5.
evanft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 02:02 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Presumably you're reading in low light if you have the frontlight on its lowest level. Won't turning it off completely cause even more eye strain? The screen will be more difficult to read without any light!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-07-2016, 03:31 PM   #3
evanft
Zealot
evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Presumably you're reading in low light if you have the frontlight on its lowest level. Won't turning it off completely cause even more eye strain? The screen will be more difficult to read without any light!
Having the light on any level hurts my eyes, period. I want it off completely.
Old 05-07-2016, 04:01 PM   #4
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by evanft View Post
Having the light on any level hurts my eyes, period. I want it off completely.
trade it in on a model without a front light
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 04:05 PM   #5
evanft
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
trade it in on a model without a front light
That seems the best course of action. I'm just going to keep my K4NT.
Advert
Old 05-07-2016, 04:14 PM   #6
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
I get eye strain at the Lowest setting even in Bright sunlight. My eyes more comfortable hat higher settings. Try increasing the light see what happens.
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 05:35 PM   #7
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Since you are jailbroken, you should be able to disable the frontlight using peterson's Front Light Master extension.

(It is possible the method used to control the frontlight needs to be updated for KV compatibility. Either way, the current extension should certainly give you an idea of what might need doing.)
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 10:56 AM   #8
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
You can turn it off completely with a KUAL script (not written yet AFAIK). I was turning off the LED from root shell over SSH on my PW1 back before I lost it on a trip. I have a functional PW3 now, so I can explore making such a KUAL extension...

Hmm... I just realized I can probably modulate (baseband AM, or at least PWM) the backlight for audio output for my kindle video player. A photocell connected to amplified speakers should work for that. I may need to build a kernel module for such add-on audio support for mute kindles like the paperwhite (or K4 with modulated power LED) models.

Last edited by geekmaster; 05-09-2016 at 11:02 AM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 11:38 AM   #9
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
@geekmaster,

Like I said, peterson already made one.
As I don't own any frontlit Kindle, I don't know whether they all share the same sysfs controls or need to be updated for different models.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 02:57 PM   #10
Yourcat
Groupie
Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.

Device: PW3 5.6.5-usbnet
The orange and green LEDs would may stereo "playback" if you enjoy PWM.
Yourcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 03:07 PM   #11
Yourcat
Groupie
Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.

Device: PW3 5.6.5-usbnet
With usbnet you may check whether https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...68&postcount=4 works for the KV.
Adding this to the suspend or wake-up event script should be acceptable instead of a Kual menu. Starting reading one may need to increase/change the brightness anyway.
Yourcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 07:40 PM   #12
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yourcat View Post
With usbnet you may check whether https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...68&postcount=4 works for the KV.
Adding this to the suspend or wake-up event script should be acceptable instead of a Kual menu. Starting reading one may need to increase/change the brightness anyway.
The pathname may have changed if running 5.7.x but all 5.6.x should have the same as shown.
Old 05-12-2016, 08:26 PM   #13
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
AFAIR, we're successfully using that path in KOReader for the whole Wario range .
And I can attest that it still holds true on my PW2 on 5.7.x.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 09:30 PM   #14
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
AFAIR, we're successfully using that path in KOReader for the whole Wario range .
And I can attest that it still holds true on my PW2 on 5.7.x.
The /sys tree is **supposed to be** a stable interface (for a kernel Major.Minor version series).

But those provided by modules outside of the mainstream Kernel (think: Amazon/Lab126 authored) might not reach that goal.

So I was just being careful with my 'check it before using it' advice.
Old 07-12-2017, 08:15 AM   #15
AnimalOfArt
Groupie
AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: changing frequently
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Since you are jailbroken, you should be able to disable the frontlight using peterson's Front Light Master extension.

(It is possible the method used to control the frontlight needs to be updated for KV compatibility. Either way, the current extension should certainly give you an idea of what might need doing.)
I used the extension as it is on KV and it works!
AnimalOfArt is offline   Reply With Quote