Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-08-2016, 09:08 PM   #1
machoman121
machoman121 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura H20, Kindle DX, Kindle Touch
Bookerly font - nice but how to make it darker

I've downloaded the Bookerly font into my H20 and it's quite good - but it needs to be darken - is there any way i can darken it - i read somewhere that some settings in the config file can be changed to darken/add more contrast but i need more information on how to do it.
machoman121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 10:14 PM   #2
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
you have a couple options, one is more technical than the other.

The easiest option is to use Geoff's patch and enable advanced font control - https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=260100 that will let you have access to the advanced font control for Bookerly which you otherwise wouldn't since it's a sideloaded font. You can increase the weight of the font which thickens it.

The 'harder' option is to use an application like font forge to adjust the font. I don't know the particulars of how to do this.

I'm sure others will argue the merits of each method.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-09-2016, 05:34 AM   #3
machoman121

I tried the patch - the patch went OK but i can't see any difference.

***Update*** hang on - i realise now i'm supposed to go into the patch files and enable the functions I want to use.....will report back.

**Update** - patch attempt 2. No changes. There's no advance Bookerly font adjustment available.

Last edited by machoman121; 04-09-2016 at 05:56 AM.
Old 04-09-2016, 07:36 AM   #4
Number9
Dude
Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One; Kobo Aura H2o; Sony Reader PRS-T3
Then you did something wrong, as I just tried patching my Aura, and I now have the advanced controls for sideloaded fonts.

Sent from my Nexus 5 via Tapatalk
Number9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 07:53 AM   #5
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by machoman121 View Post
**Update** - patch attempt 2. No changes. There's no advance Bookerly font adjustment available.
I also have the patch enabled for advanced font options for sideloaded fonts and it works perfect (Glo HD).

What format is your Bookerly font? The patch only works for .ttf fonts for epub. If you're using kepub though, otf and ttf will work.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-09-2016, 09:12 AM   #6
machoman121

It's early days for me with the Kobo H20 - i've only had it for 2 weeks so the learning curve is steep currently. I don't really know a lot of the terminology used here - Kepub vs epub, .ttf fonts....I did enable the custom font on the patcher but there's no differences so far.
Old 04-09-2016, 09:55 AM   #7
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
epub and kepub are two formats for ebooks. They are, essentially, the same. The difference is that kepubs are specifically from Kobo (though you can convert epub files to kepub files using calibre and certain plugins). Kepubs have some special features in regards to record keeping and reading statistics.

You can have otf fonts and ttf fonts on your Kobo, however as noted ttf fonts are generally a better option because they work with all aspects of the Kobo. The font file should end with either .otf or .ttf for the respective formats. Font Forge can be used to convert from one to the other. You don't really need to worry about knowing more unless it's something that interests you. It's not something which particularly interests me, or I'd give you more information.

I don't recall off hand, but I think bookerly comes in .ttf, so unless you converted it or the source you got it from converted it, this shouldn't be an issue. However Bookerly has had some odd issues on Kobos, mostly oddities in improperly using or not using the bold variant.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 10:02 AM   #8
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
I did enable the custom font on the patcher but there's no differences so far.
But did you install onto your Kobo the target KoboRoot.tgz created when you ran the Patcher program? Did you name the 4 Bookerly ttf files correctly and put them in the correct Kobo directory? Did you reboot the Kobo after copying the font files?

If you want detailed troubleshooting help you're going to need to put more effort into describing step by step exactly what you actually did. No-one here has a crystal ball to figure out what "it didn't work" means.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 07:55 PM   #9
machoman121

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
But did you install onto your Kobo the target KoboRoot.tgz created when you ran the Patcher program? Did you name the 4 Bookerly ttf files correctly and put them in the correct Kobo directory? Did you reboot the Kobo after copying the font files?

If you want detailed troubleshooting help you're going to need to put more effort into describing step by step exactly what you actually did. No-one here has a crystal ball to figure out what "it didn't work" means.
I did copy the .tgz file to the H20. The bookerly font is in the font folder but I have not renamed the bookerly font - it was left as is from the download.
Old 04-09-2016, 09:00 PM   #10
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Did you place the tgz file in the .Kobo directory?
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 04:28 AM   #11
machoman121

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Did you place the tgz file in the .Kobo directory?
Yes - i did. The unit rebooted and the tgz file is no longer there.
Old 04-10-2016, 07:23 AM   #12
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Yes - i did. The unit rebooted and the tgz file is no longer there.
Good; at least that means the patches were applied.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 07:31 AM   #13
roycymru
Connoisseur
roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
I've downloaded the Bookerly font into my H20 and it's quite good - but it needs to be darken - is there any way i can darken it - i read somewhere that some settings in the config file can be changed to darken/add more contrast but i need more information on how to do it.
Can someone please direct me instructions on how to download and install the bookerly font

Thanks
roycymru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 11:46 AM   #14
GERGE
Guru
GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra
That would be illegal.

On the topic, FontForge works much better than the patch.
GERGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 01:24 PM   #15
roycymru
Connoisseur
roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by GERGE View Post
That would be illegal.

On the topic, FontForge works much better than the patch.
I have to laugh. You say its illegal and then go on to give advice to a user that presumably has illegaly downloaded this font to their Aura H20. If it is illegal then perhaps the moderators should delete this thread.
roycymru is offline   Reply With Quote