Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-16-2016, 10:06 PM   #1
Saturnfly
Saturnfly began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Original
Trying to factory reset my Kobo Original

Hi, I am trying to do a factory reset on my Kobo Original. It appears to do something after I continue with the factory reset, then it goes to the Welcome to your Kobo eReader page, I turn it on and set the date and everything, and then I find it STILL has my account on it as well as all my books???

I need to have my account unregistered to this Kobo and I can't freaking do it.
Saturnfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 10:43 PM   #2
Saturnfly

If I deactivate my kobo account, will that get rid of my account on my kobo??? So that I can set it up again with another account.
Advert
Old 02-17-2016, 11:45 AM   #3
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Let me grab my kobo.
All I see is reset device.
Oh hey is your wireless on or off?
It may need to be on.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 12:35 PM   #4
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
How are you doing the reset (what steps)?

Something makes me think that with the original Kobo it DIDN'T delete your account info and books when you reset it but it's been a long while so I could be wrong.

Does it give you the option to sign out of your account (again, can't remember if it had that function)? That should be all you need to do if you want to use the device with a new account.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 01:12 PM   #5
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
How are you doing the reset (what steps)?

Something makes me think that with the original Kobo it DIDN'T delete your account info and books when you reset it but it's been a long while so I could be wrong.

Does it give you the option to sign out of your account (again, can't remember if it had that function)? That should be all you need to do if you want to use the device with a new account.
I looked at mine and on the device there is no sign out.
Over in advanced, there is a reset device. Only thing I found.
It says it restores to factory defaults.
Advert
Old 02-17-2016, 07:09 PM   #6
Saturnfly

I don't think it has wireless, it has a Bluetooth option but nothing else. I was given this Kobo by my partner's dad and I did a factory reset which removed everything... Though I don't recall if there was actually an account linked to it, obviously not. Basically I wanted to just share my partner's kobo account since I can't really justify paying extra for his books, but he figured out how to strip the DRM so I guess I don't need to delete my account anymore.

Does anyone know why some books seem to be insanely overpriced? I was looking for a particular book and on the Kobo store it would have cost me $15 while a Kindle version on Amazon was less than $1 lol. I ended up just buying the kindle and stripping the DRM and converting it to an epub... just seems so ridiculous.
Old 02-17-2016, 08:11 PM   #7
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturnfly View Post
I don't think it has wireless, it has a Bluetooth option but nothing else. I was given this Kobo by my partner's dad and I did a factory reset which removed everything... Though I don't recall if there was actually an account linked to it, obviously not. Basically I wanted to just share my partner's kobo account since I can't really justify paying extra for his books, but he figured out how to strip the DRM so I guess I don't need to delete my account anymore.

Does anyone know why some books seem to be insanely overpriced? I was looking for a particular book and on the Kobo store it would have cost me $15 while a Kindle version on Amazon was less than $1 lol. I ended up just buying the kindle and stripping the DRM and converting it to an epub... just seems so ridiculous.
I thought you said the original Kobo.
The original did not have Bluetooth because Bluetooth was not even a thing yet.
Does it have buttons or a touch screen?
The settings on the original are overview, general, wireless and advanced.
Advanced is where you reset.
Old 02-17-2016, 08:12 PM   #8
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Oh and on the books,
Prices will vary.
Old 02-17-2016, 08:26 PM   #9
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturnfly View Post
For many countries you'll find Kobo to be higher priced on some titles unfortunately. They do sometimes have coupon codes (see the bargains section of MR) to get prices down, depending on publisher.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=252693

They also offer price matching (a credit for the difference + 10% within 7 days) now in certain countries, but it's after the purchase matching not like Amazon's report a lower price price matching.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
The original Kobo didn't have WiFi, that wasn't until the second model (it did have Bluetooth, but IIRC it only worked with certain Blackberry devices).
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 10:17 PM   #10
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
While officially it was designed to allow loading of content from a BlackBerry I seem to recall being able to send ebooks from my PC using Bluetooth file transfer.

And yes, the original had Bluetooth and no wifi, and I think an SD card slot as opposed to newer models having a micro SD slot.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 10:21 PM   #11
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Oh I was under the impression that I had a first kobo.
It has the size buttons and the 5 way controller.
Which one is that?
Old 02-17-2016, 10:47 PM   #12
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Oh I was under the impression that I had a first kobo.
It has the size buttons and the 5 way controller.
Which one is that?
Both the original & the WiFi had a 5 way (they look pretty much the same). IIRC it was blue on the original and gray on the WiFi for the white devices or black for the black device.

Last edited by AnemicOak; 02-17-2016 at 10:51 PM.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 11:03 PM   #13
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Thanks. Mine is the Kobo wifi black.
Old 02-18-2016, 12:00 AM   #14
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Does it have buttons or a touch screen?
The settings on the original are overview, general, wireless and advanced.
Advanced is where you reset.
Actually, the original Kobo had Bluetooth but not wifi. It could connect with your Blackberry for example.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 12:02 AM   #15
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
While officially it was designed to allow loading of content from a BlackBerry I seem to recall being able to send ebooks from my PC using Bluetooth file transfer.

And yes, the original had Bluetooth and no wifi, and I think an SD card slot as opposed to newer models having a micro SD slot.
The original and the WiFi had full size SD card slots. I tried the Bluetooth connection with a Blackberry once but it was a pain in the posterior.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote