Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 02-12-2016, 02:50 PM   #1
vikischeldrup
vikischeldrup began at the beginning.

Device: KINDLE Fire 7 HD
Smile want to use older version of Calibre but having trouble

I want to go back to the version that has separate libraries but when I try to install an older on (1.48) the newer gui shows up (one library). I am NOT real savvy about computers, but it seems simple til I try it!

Thank you for any information, help, or even suggestions on where to look up an answer.
vikischeldrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 03:09 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by vikischeldrup View Post
I want to go back to the version that has separate libraries but when I try to install an older on (1.48) the newer gui shows up (one library). I am NOT real savvy about computers, but it seems simple til I try it!

Thank you for any information, help, or even suggestions on where to look up an answer.
Virtual Libraries is just a 'Logical" (subset) presentation of your library. The Library (AKA All Books) is what you would see (and do) with the version that does not support VL display

If you had separate Libraries before, you must have combined them at some time

Why does using a VL not work for you?
Maybe we can help you set them up. We need to know each decision you made to determine Which library got the book when you were using the old way.

eg Tags: Fiction, spouses name
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-12-2016, 03:51 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
In plain English, there is no need to downgrade Calibre.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 11:31 AM   #4
vikischeldrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Virtual Libraries is just a 'Logical" (subset) presentation of your library. The Library (AKA All Books) is what you would see (and do) with the version that does not support VL display

If you had separate Libraries before, you must have combined them at some time

Why does using a VL not work for you?
Maybe we can help you set them up. We need to know each decision you made to determine Which library got the book when you were using the old way.

eg Tags: Fiction, spouses name
Hi Ducks - thank you for replying. No I didn't combine them. I had Alphabetical authors, fiction and non-fiction, and some other divisions. Then I got a virus, had to recover with a format. The version I had before allowed me to have several libraries - separately from the "working" library which I loaded books into to edit and cull them. The calibre that keeps loading for me now has all books together and when I set up a virtual library, the books stay in all books while showing up in individual VLibraries. I want them to "disappear" from the all books library and only show up when I open a specific library - non-fiction, or fiction, or whatever label I have given them. Using Vista, I know that I can't use a couple of the newer versions of Calibre. I love the program, it is just this glitch that is making me crazy. Could I accomplish my goals with some python programming? Not afraid to learn new things
Old 02-13-2016, 11:35 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

One other option is to create more libraries and move the books in order to have separate libraries.
Advert
Old 02-13-2016, 12:03 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Hi Ducks - thank you for replying. No I didn't combine them. I had Alphabetical authors, fiction and non-fiction, and some other divisions. Then I got a virus, had to recover with a format. The version I had before allowed me to have several libraries - separately from the "working" library which I loaded books into to edit and cull them. The calibre that keeps loading for me now has all books together and when I set up a virtual library, the books stay in all books while showing up in individual VLibraries. I want them to "disappear" from the all books library and only show up when I open a specific library - non-fiction, or fiction, or whatever label I have given them. Using Vista, I know that I can't use a couple of the newer versions of Calibre. I love the program, it is just this glitch that is making me crazy. Could I accomplish my goals with some python programming? Not afraid to learn new things
And you just had to toss Vista into the pot

AFAIK anything you could do IN an older version, you should still be able to do.
The issues are the OS and Hardware (no SSE2) block the newer versions from running.

Jons suggestion for separate libraries is still possible.

On the Library Icon: Create Switch: New (with Use existing structure): (new Location for Empty Library)

Then you move between by using:
Then switch to the Source of books. Then Select Books: Right click Copy To Library <destination Library> delete after...

repeat for as many books or Libraries

Question: Other than Hardware Limits, is there a reason you must stay with Windows Vista ? Special programs? Special Hardware?

Linux Mint will run (faster/better) on just about any modern Intel or AMD (SSE2 capable CPU) motherboard that would support Vista
Old 02-13-2016, 12:19 PM   #7
vikischeldrup

Got it!!! Guess I was just having a snowstorm in my brain! Thank you for the help !!
Viki
Old 02-13-2016, 01:37 PM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Got it!!! Guess I was just having a snowstorm in my brain! Thank you for the help !!
Viki
Living in the Dakotas, snow should be nothing new
Old 02-14-2016, 06:36 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

If you stay with Vista for much longer, you will find that when you are ready to move on, you'll have to pay to do so.
Old 02-15-2016, 08:40 AM   #10
Divingduck
Wizard
Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650
Don't know how this works in your country but I have to pay for an legal update from Vista to Win10. The cost depends on if you are able to get hold of a cheap win7 license for upgrade to Win10.
Divingduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 10:38 AM   #11
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Divingduck View Post
Don't know how this works in your country but I have to pay for an legal update from Vista to Win10. The cost depends on if you are able to get hold of a cheap win7 license for upgrade to Win10.
That is strange! I thought that upgrades to Win10 were free for all non-commercial users from Vista or later if done by June this year.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 10:42 AM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Win10 is free for Win7, Vista, & Win 8.1 users as long as the OS in use is legitimate.

Last edited by JSWolf; 02-15-2016 at 10:48 AM.
Old 02-15-2016, 10:45 AM   #13
theducks
Well trained by Cats

from the M$ FAQ
Code:
The free upgrade offer isn't available for devices running Windows XP, Windows Vista, or Enterprise editions of Windows.
Old 02-15-2016, 12:12 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
from the M$ FAQ
Code:
The free upgrade offer isn't available for devices running Windows XP, Windows Vista, or Enterprise editions of Windows.
Supposedly you might be able to get a cheaper copy of Windows 7 or 8 to upgrade Vista to then upgrade to 10.
Old 02-15-2016, 03:12 PM   #15
Divingduck
Wizard
Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
I thought that upgrades to Win10 were free for all non-commercial users from Vista or later if done by June this year.
That was simply not true. Microsoft do offer only a upgrade from Windows 7, 8, 8.1 to Windows 10 for free up to mid this year. They had never ever offer an free upgrade form Vista or Enterprise licenses. (http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...windows-10-faq)

There is only one legal way to update with a small fee. Buy a Windows 7 license. Here in Germany I saw these days offers between 20 and 30 Euro.

In addition good to know: There will be no Media center in Windows 10. You need to find an alternative solution if you had use it in the past.
Divingduck is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
confused, older version, vista