Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 04-10-2015, 08:21 PM   #1
phossler
Wizard
phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Edit Metadata - Date and Published question

Q1 - What is the purpose of the [Date] field? And how do people use it?

Q2 - Is there any way in the [Published] field to just enter a year? It appears that it needs month - day - year and most of the time all I have is a year

Thanks
phossler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 08:51 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by phossler View Post
Q1 - What is the purpose of the [Date] field? And how do people use it?

Q2 - Is there any way in the [Published] field to just enter a year? It appears that it needs month - day - year and most of the time all I have is a year

Thanks
Calibre uses DATE. That is the Date you First added the book
(Published) DATES formats can be set to year in Tweaks: gui_pubdate_display_format='yyyy'
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-10-2015, 09:51 PM   #3
phossler
Wizard
phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite

I have a lot of books that have "Undefined' in one or both fields and some publishing dates I was cleaning up

I did try to "Read The Fine Manual"

http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/metadata.html

but I couldn't find a description and usage of those fields
phossler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 10:21 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by phossler View Post

I have a lot of books that have "Undefined' in one or both fields and some publishing dates I was cleaning up

I did try to "Read The Fine Manual"

http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/metadata.html

but I couldn't find a description and usage of those fields
Something barfed (or was messed with) if the Date field was undefined. This is set By/When the record was created.
In many cases Published metadata may be missing from the book (It is not a required value)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 10:26 PM   #5
MartyTX
Dedicated
MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 1 & 4, Nook ST, Dell 11-3000, iPhone 5s
I was too slow pulling the trigger ... theducks already responded ...

Last edited by MartyTX; 04-10-2015 at 10:30 PM. Reason: Post not needed
MartyTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert