Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 09-26-2014, 08:11 AM   #1
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
[SOLVED] Linux Content Server/Wireless Connection advice please

I am having difficulty with the content server and wireless device connections on my X86_64 notebook running Sabayon Linux. Calibre Suggestions would be appreciated. Calibre Companion fails to find Calibre as either wireless device or content server. Web browser on Android device get Webpage not available. Debug log is as follows:

calibre Debug log
calibre 2.4 isfrozen: True is64bit: True
Linux-3.16.0-sabayon-x86_64-Intel-R-_Core-TM-_i7-4700MQ_CPU_@_2.40GHz-with-gentoo-2.2 Linux ('64bit', 'ELF')
('Linux', '3.16.0-sabayon', '#1 SMP Mon Sep 8 02:39:16 UTC 2014')
Python 2.7.8
Linux: ('Gentoo Base System', '2.2', '')
Starting up...
libpng warning: iCCP: Not recognizing known sRGB profile that has been edited
SMART_DEV ( 0.00: 0.001) _attach_to_port try ip address "" on port 9090
SMART_DEV ( 0.86: 0.802) startup_on_demand listening on port 9090
SMART_DEV ( 0.89: 0.000) _attach_to_port try ip address "" on port 54982
SMART_DEV ( 0.91: 0.000) startup_on_demand broadcast socket listening on port 54982
SMART_DEV ( 1.94: 1.002) run All IP addresses {'lo': [{'peer': '127.0.0.1', 'netmask': '255.0.0.0', 'addr': '127.0.0.1'}], 'wlan0': [{'broadcast': '192.168.12.255', 'netmask': '255.255.255.0', 'addr': '192.168.12.4'}]}

Last edited by darryl; 09-27-2014 at 07:25 AM.
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 09:45 AM   #2
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Have you tried all the steps in the CC FAQ that apply to linux, such as opening the firewall and checking dual-band routers? My guess is firewall.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-26-2014, 11:55 AM   #3
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks Chaley. That was my first thought to. But disabling the firewall doesn't change anything. All works from a Windows machine so the problem is not with Calibre Companion. After posting I installed a zeroconf browser on an Android tablet and found that Android sees the service for both the wireless connection and the content server, but Calibre Companion on that device still fails to detect either.

I am planning to proceed on the basis that the problem is neither Calibre nor Calibre Companion, which means it is likely a problem with the configuration.
Old 09-26-2014, 12:31 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Your Linux box Wireless and your Windows box Wired?

I had to adjust my Access point to allow connections between Wireless devices.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 01:10 PM   #5
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
@theducks:

If your devices are on different wifi bands then it is very possible that zeroconf broadcasts are visible but connections do notwork. A lot of routers require explicit permission for connecting across bands.

If you send me a CC debug log (CC Settings, scroll to the bottom) then I can tell you what CC is seeing. If you send one, please remove the multipie address. No reason for my son to spend time on something I am working on.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-26-2014, 04:06 PM   #6
darryl
Wizard

Debug log sent.

I also tried connecting with Notebook on wired network with no difference.

However, at an earlier stage I was getting these errors which I thought I had solved by putting an appropriate entry in /etc/hosts:

Starting up...
libpng warning: iCCP: Not recognizing known sRGB profile that has been edited
Started up in 1.87 seconds with 8687 books
SMART_DEV ( 0.00: 0.002) _attach_to_port try ip address "" on port 9090
SMART_DEV ( 20.36: 20.278) startup_on_demand registration with bonjour failed
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages/calibre/devices/smart_device_app/driver.py", line 1875, in startup_on_demand
File "site-packages/calibre/utils/mdns.py", line 148, in publish
File "site-packages/calibre/utils/mdns.py", line 103, in start_server
File "site-packages/calibre/utils/Zeroconf.py", line 1271, in __init__
gaierror: [Errno -2] Name or service not known
SMART_DEV ( 20.42: 0.001) startup_on_demand listening on port 9090
SMART_DEV ( 20.45: 0.000) _attach_to_port try ip address "" on port 54982
SMART_DEV ( 20.47: 0.000) startup_on_demand broadcast socket listening on port 54982
SMART_DEV ( 21.50: 1.002) run All IP addresses {'lo': [{'peer': '127.0.0.1', 'netmask': '255.0.0.0', 'addr': '127.0.0.1'}], 'eth0': [{'broadcast': '192.168.12.255', 'netmask': '255.255.255.0', 'addr': '192.168.12.150'}]}

This produced the same result in CC. I am now wondering whether this only masked the problem rather than solving it.
Old 09-26-2014, 11:13 PM   #7
darryl
Wizard

I had a look at the Calibre Companion log. It is clear that whatever the zeroconf browser is saying, Calibre Companion detects the services from the Windows server but not from the Linux one. It seems the problem is with zeroconf on my Linux notebook.

Thanks for your help.

I will confirm if/when I solve the issue.
Old 09-27-2014, 07:28 AM   #8
darryl
Wizard

The problem is solved. And Chaley, it was, as we both first suspected, a firewall issue. Disabling ufw did not do the trick because firewalld was still running.

Thanks very much for your help. It was much appreciated.