Notices

Old 04-24-2014, 12:17 PM   #1
arslonga
Connoisseur
arslonga began at the beginning.

Device: none
understanding kindle publisher font

Good evening.

The kindle app for iPad has the option of displaying ebooks using the publisher font. I understand this to mean that it will display an embedded font. My question is, what ebook formats with embedded fonts does this app support, if any?
arslonga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 12:57 PM   #2
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by arslonga View Post
Good evening.

The kindle app for iPad has the option of displaying ebooks using the publisher font. I understand this to mean that it will display an embedded font. My question is, what ebook formats with embedded fonts does this app support, if any?
You are correct in assuming that the Publisher Font option will display the publisher's embedded fonts. The only downloadable format that is supported for embedded fonts is the KF8 format. However, Amazon creates a special file for the Kindle for iPad/iPhone app that is based on KF8. This file has the AZK suffix and it gets downloaded to your device. You cannot sideload KF8 files to your Kindle for iPad/iPhone app and see embedded fonts. Instead you need to use Kindle Previewer to build a book file and set the default mode for iPad or iPhone. This will generate a normal KF8 file and an iPad/iPhone only AZK file that you can sideload to you device. This AZK file will display embedded fonts.

ETA: To see embedded fonts, here are the various ways.
  • Purchase and download a book with embedded fonts from Amazon.
  • Build a book with embedded fonts using Kindle Previewer, then sideload the AZK file to your iPad or iPhone.
  • I'm not sure if calibre can produce an AZK file, but if so use it to create one then sideload the AZK file to your iPad or iPhone.

Last edited by jswinden; 04-24-2014 at 03:01 PM.
Advert
Old 04-24-2014, 01:05 PM   #3
arslonga
Connoisseur
arslonga began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thank you for your prompt and most informative reply. What a pity that the process to enjoy azw3 ebooks with embedded fonts has to be so needlessly complicated!
arslonga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 01:09 PM   #4
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by arslonga View Post
Thank you for your prompt and most informative reply. What a pity that the process to enjoy azw3 ebooks with embedded fonts has to be so needlessly complicated!
Oh I totally agree. I'm not sure why Amazon programmers made the process so ridiculously convoluted. I can only assume they have poop for brains.
Old 04-24-2014, 05:07 PM   #5
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Actually AZK is a json based format. It is not anything like KF8 except it can be converted from ePub. You can read about AZK in our wiki. It would seem that they are experimenting with removing any HTML style connection.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-24-2014, 06:07 PM   #6
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Actually AZK is a json based format. It is not anything like KF8 except it can be converted from ePub. You can read about AZK in our wiki. It would seem that they are experimenting with removing any HTML style connection.
If you are going to refer to a wiki, please give the url or link to it. Here is the MobileRead AZK Wiki page. It strikes me as odd that you guys always say "refer to our wiki" and yet this wiki tells us nearly nothing, except of course how little you guys know about AZK. At any rate I don't see that this wiki adds anything to the conversation other than more confusion.
Old 04-25-2014, 11:12 AM   #7
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
If you are going to refer to a wiki, please give the url or link to it. Here is the MobileRead AZK Wiki page. It strikes me as odd that you guys always say "refer to our wiki" and yet this wiki tells us nearly nothing, except of course how little you guys know about AZK. At any rate I don't see that this wiki adds anything to the conversation other than more confusion.
Sorry, I usually do put a link there but you only needed to type 3 letters. Too tough heh. It is our wiki not my wiki. It is a place to collect all of the data for mobileread users by mobileread users. If you know more why are you not adding to the data. JSON is not any way shape or form the same as KF8 as you could see in the wiki. Sorry if you are confused.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote