Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 03-08-2014, 02:47 PM   #1
bigbadburninbush
bigbadburninbush began at the beginning.

Device: ipad
My favorite Steve quotes...

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to post some of my favorite Steve Jobs quotes. What image of this great man comes through? What kind of contribution did he make to our society, and is he representative of America today?

1 I want to put a ding in the universe.
Steve Jobs

2 A lot of companies have chosen to downsize, and maybe that was the right thing for them. We chose a different path. Our belief was that if we kept putting great products in front of customers, they would continue to open their wallets.
Steve Jobs

3 My favorite things in life don't cost any money. It's really clear that the most precious resource we all have is time.
Steve Jobs

4 I know I'm an asshole, but I'm logical. It makes a lot of sense to tell people what they need, and then sell it to them. If you're in the business of taking customers money, you've got to be logical.
Steve Jobs

5 Innovation distinguishes between a leader and a follower.
Steve Jobs

6 Components are great! You can buy them for nothing, assemble them and sell for four times the price.
Steve Jobs

7 Stay hungry, stay foolish.
Steve Jobs

Discuss...
bigbadburninbush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 06:27 PM   #2
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
Sorry, but Steve Jobs has had little impact on my immediate personal world. I don't have any of his products because they've always been over-priced.

I don't belong to the Church of Jobs.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-08-2014, 07:06 PM   #3
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
How about:

Quote:
what was best for us was to do this akido move and end up with the agency model
Or:

Quote:
They are not an authorized reseller.
as the answer to the question of how TJ Maxx could sell the iPad at below his minimum allowed price. (Ask Jeff Bezos, also not allowed to buy Apple products wholesale from the manufacturer, how this works.)

I don't have that much of problem with overpricing of computers, or of books. If people are willing to overpay, let them. Computers, and even books, are not fundamental human needs. Just don't try those high margin maneuvers on my loaf of bread.

Last edited by SteveEisenberg; 03-09-2014 at 06:17 AM.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 03:08 PM   #4
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
Here are the books that Steve said influenced him:

https://www.goodreads.com/genres/ste...s-reading-list

I recently read "The Bite in the Apple" by Chrisann Brennan, lots of people panned it, but I loved it and I recommend it to those who prefer diary/memoirs over long biographies that pretty much all start and end the same.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 04:39 PM   #5
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Many years ago I met Steve Jobs, Steve Wozniak and Bill Gates at a Computer Fair in Vancouver BC. Pretty sure they were human and regular guys and am also pretty sure they all worked hard for their success.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-10-2014, 05:26 PM   #6
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanthe View Post
I don't have any of his products because they've always been over-priced.
really? I don't either. I have instead cheaper clones of the products imagined by the guy. It doesn't take away from the man clear vision and genius.
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 05:39 PM   #7
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
What on earth does this have to do with mobile reading?
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 07:46 PM   #8
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
Never ask a zealot what his religion has to do with $_topic
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 08:24 PM   #9
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
What on earth does this have to do with mobile reading?
Perhaps nothing directly, but many people here read on devices sold by the company Steve Jobs founded, and his personality and influence—for better or worse—has had a huge impact on all of us who read on mobile devices, whether the devices on which we read carry the Apple logo or not.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 12:40 AM   #10
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Namekuseijin View Post
really? I don't either. I have instead cheaper clones of the products imagined by the guy. It doesn't take away from the man clear vision and genius.
He did not work in a vacuum nor did he "imagine" all aspects of the devices we use today - there are hundreds of writers who were there before him inventing possible futures, so to devote a thread to his "greatness" is just too fan-boyish for my taste.

He built on the imaginations of others and managed to market those ideas and make them accessible to the general public. Kudos to him for that.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 02:07 AM   #11
EbookNovice
Banned
EbookNovice solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.EbookNovice solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.EbookNovice solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.EbookNovice solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.EbookNovice solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.EbookNovice solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.EbookNovice solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.EbookNovice solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.EbookNovice solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.EbookNovice solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.EbookNovice solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbadburninbush View Post

6 Components are great! You can buy them for nothing, assemble them and sell for four times the price.
Steve Jobs
Uhh this doesn't sound like a Steve Jobs quote. It sounds like an anti-Apple person...
EbookNovice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 02:11 AM   #12
Fluribus
Guru
Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbadburninbush View Post
1 I want to put a ding in the universe.
Steve Jobs
So he's the bastard who hit my car. A bit more than a ding, Steve.
Fluribus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 07:16 AM   #13
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanthe View Post
so to devote a thread to his "greatness" is just too fan-boyish for my taste.
This.
And connected but slightly off-topic: to a German ear the thread title sounds a little bit strange. You wouldn't leave out the family name until you're personally familiar with the other person and he offered you the "Du" (an informal way of addressing someone instead of the formal "Sie" between strangers). But this may just be a cultural thing.
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 10:41 AM   #14
Geralt
Witcher
Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billi View Post
This.
And connected but slightly off-topic: to a German ear the thread title sounds a little bit strange. You wouldn't leave out the family name until you're personally familiar with the other person and he offered you the "Du" (an informal way of addressing someone instead of the formal "Sie" between strangers). But this may just be a cultural thing.
I think the OP was going for the same effect as these names have: Madonna, Prince, Adele, Moby, Oprah, Pink, Skrillex, Twiggy and so on. Except that it doesn't work with a downright generic name as Steve.

On everything else, I agree with you. Fanboy much OP?
Geralt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 10:52 AM   #15
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
It is my fondest hope that the utterances of corporate-types never comes close to making my favorite quotations list.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote