Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 03-03-2014, 02:44 PM   #1
z.nina
z.nina began at the beginning.

Device: iPad mini
Slow Edit metadata window

When I open the Edit metadata window in calibre I can change everything in it without problem. The search for metadata and cover are fast but when I click the buttons : Next - Previous - OK or Cancel I've to wait for more than 60sec before the action is applied. The same thing happens even if I don't change anything in the window.

I've tried to apply the various solutions found on the forum's post :
- format and reinstalled win 7
- disc defrag
- disable the antivirus
- close the tag window
- install different version of the program (now I've the 64 bit version running)

nothing seems to change.
Can someone help me please? Thanks
z.nina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 03:39 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by z.nina View Post
When I open the Edit metadata window in calibre I can change everything in it without problem. The search for metadata and cover are fast but when I click the buttons : Next - Previous - OK or Cancel I've to wait for more than 60sec before the action is applied. The same thing happens even if I don't change anything in the window.

I've tried to apply the various solutions found on the forum's post :
- format and reinstalled win 7
- disc defrag
- disable the antivirus
- close the tag window
- install different version of the program (now I've the 64 bit version running)

nothing seems to change.
Can someone help me please? Thanks
Your list looks like you hit the normal culprits:
FWIW I see a similar (slow) action on my W7 (64)
How many books in you Library?
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-04-2014, 06:17 AM   #3
Semmel
Semmel began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1 und T2, pocketbook surfpad 2
I got the same problem with the recent update (1.26.0).
Then I deleted the new version and installed an older one, but it is not much better.
Closing the metadata window is testing my nerves out.

It seems to be a kind of loop in the program while window-closing.
I have about 5000 books in my library.
I use Calibre 64-Bit on a Windows 7-64 PC.

Is it possible that some plugins could do that?
Semmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 08:08 AM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Semmel View Post
@Semmel Could be, maybe - you could disable them, if you can't disable them, uninstall them - I've found if I uninstall/reinstall a PI always get the settings back - but as with all things - YMMV

And then do a test - my intuition is it wont be a plug-in, but its been wrong before.

FWIW I run 64bit on W7, I just checked three libraries, 34k, 8k and 4k books, response is instant, as fast as I can press Alt/→ etc.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 03-04-2014 at 08:28 AM.
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 08:08 AM   #5
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
I got the same problem with the recent update (1.26.0).
There has to be something else at play here. I am on Windows 7 (64) running calibre 1.26.0 32 bit. My library is 13,000 strong and when in the metadata download window it takes about a second to go to the next book or to close the edit metadata window.

Quote:
I guess it may be possible... The metadata source plugins I use are:

Amazon
Barnes & Noble
Big Book Search
Goodreads
Google
Google Images
ISBNDB
Open Library
Overdrive

I have no insight into why the three of you are experiencing this delay.

Let us know if you solve this issue.

Good Luck.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-04-2014, 08:10 AM   #6
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
@theducks - have you tried 32bit ?

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 08:33 AM   #7
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ...lots! ;) mostly reading on a Kindle Voyage
Quote:
I've always had this issue when Calibre's been open a while, even if it's nothing but download news, but upon a Restart the time lag goes away.
copyrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 09:40 AM   #8
z.nina

Quote:
Your list looks like you hit the normal culprits:
How many books in you Library?
I've 4000 books. But I've tried, after the installation of the 64 bit version, to start with a new library with only 200 books and reinstall the plug-in one by one in case one of them was the problem... No luck! The problem is the same.
It's really drive me crazy!!! In maybe 30 min I've upload the books and the metadata but to edit the metadata I need hours ... :-(
Old 03-04-2014, 11:27 AM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
@theducks - have you tried 32bit ?

BR
Not recently (for that issue).

I now use my XP install (P4 cpu) for my really small 'test Library'

My main Library is on My laptop (Turion II P540), mostly because because Sigil was so slow to launch.

NB the Laptops 'Windows Experience' is only a 4.2
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 12:08 PM   #10
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
@z.nina: is your library on a local hard disc, or is it external or on a network drive? If one of the latter two, try moving it to the local drive. Also make sure that you don't have any cloud sync apps running, such as dropbox.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 01:04 PM   #11
Adoby
Handy Elephant
Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Thinkpad E595, Ubuntu Mate, Huawei Mediapad 5, Bouye Likebook Plus
If you have a lot of editing to do, for instance after adding a whole series or a bunch of periodicals, it can speed up things a lot to create a small temporary library and edit the books there.

In such cases I first add the books to the main library and handle duplicates. After that I move the books to a new small library and fix metadata. Finally I move the books back to the main library and delete the temp library.
Adoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 03:21 PM   #12
z.nina

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
@z.nina: is your library on a local hard disc, or is it external or on a network drive? If one of the latter two, try moving it to the local drive. Also make sure that you don't have any cloud sync apps running, such as dropbox.
I've 2 HD on my pc. 1 is partitioned in 2 (c:\ for the SO, D:\ for data) and the other with the data and backup. Calibre library is in the later. I can't move the library in the local drive because I don't have enough space.

I don't think the HD is the problem. When I've created the library with the 4000 books, I was using Calibre portable in an external HD and I didn't have this problem, everything was more slow but when I clicked the next button I didn't have to wait.

Some time I use google drive, but I close it before running Calibre.
Old 03-04-2014, 03:26 PM   #13
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
If you use Google Drive with your library, you will destroy it, just in general. No idea if this is related to your problem. See here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=205581
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 03:29 PM   #14
z.nina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adoby View Post
If you have a lot of editing to do, for instance after adding a whole series or a bunch of periodicals, it can speed up things a lot to create a small temporary library and edit the books there.

In such cases I first add the books to the main library and handle duplicates. After that I move the books to a new small library and fix metadata. Finally I move the books back to the main library and delete the temp library.
Thanks for the idea, maybe I will use it when the library is more big.
The problem is that I've to wait a lot of time in the Edit metadata windows. Even if I have only 5-6 books in the library and even if I don't change any metadata but I use the windows only to "view" the books.
Old 03-04-2014, 03:34 PM   #15
z.nina

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
If you use Google Drive with your library, you will destroy it, just in general. No idea if this is related to your problem. See here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=205581
Thanks for the advice. I use google drive only for keeping some documents or books always accessible (I copy only the files in gdrive) but I don't use it for the calibre Library