Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 02-15-2011, 10:02 PM   #1
apastuszak
Evangelist
apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, nook Glowlight Plus, Apple iPad Air 2
Purchased books in pdb format

3 of the books I purchased on the nook are pdbs instead of ePubs. Is there any way to get these books in ePub format. If I archve them and redownload them, will they perpetually be in pdb format?
apastuszak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 01:27 AM   #2
nookkatz
Tuxedo Cats!
nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nooks and iThings
If you're using a Mac and your browser is Safari, you can go to the Develop menu at the top of your screen and select the User Agent option to let your browser emulate Internet Explorer (among other choices). If you choose Internet Explorer and redownload the book, you should get an epub file instead of the pdb.
nookkatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-16-2011, 10:05 AM   #3
apastuszak
Evangelist
apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, nook Glowlight Plus, Apple iPad Air 2
Thanks!

I'll give that a try.
apastuszak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 10:40 AM   #4
Caltsar
Zealot
Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.

Device: nook Touch, iPad, iPhone
For some reason, using a Mac will give you a pdb formatted book instead of an ePub formatted book on B&N. Tricking the B&N site to think you're on a PC will fix this.

It has something to do with the Mac version of their eBook reader application I believe.
Caltsar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 07:14 PM   #5
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by nookkatz View Post
If you're using a Mac and your browser is Safari, you can go to the Develop menu at the top of your screen and select the User Agent option to let your browser emulate Internet Explorer (among other choices). If you choose Internet Explorer and redownload the book, you should get an epub file instead of the pdb.
Just a tip that the Develop menu does not show by default. You have to go to Safari > Preferences > Advanced. Check the box that says "Show Develop menu in menu bar". Then Develop will appear in the menu bar in between Bookmarks and Window. I typically select User Agent > IE 8.0.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-18-2011, 02:33 AM   #6
Wolf3
Connoisseur
Wolf3 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Wolf3 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Wolf3 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Wolf3 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Nook 2, Kindle 3, iPad 2, iPod 4
So what does this actually mean? Is the DRM different on PDB versus ePub books? Presumably the Nook would read both or it woudln't give it to you(?)
Wolf3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 09:19 AM   #7
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That's the problem exactly. The Nook e-ink can read PDB files so it shouldn't be an issue. However, the NOOKcolor cannot read PDB files and requires EPUB. There are many people who are upset that BN chose not to support PDB files on the NC.
Old 02-18-2011, 09:23 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf3 View Post
So what does this actually mean? Is the DRM different on PDB versus ePub books? Presumably the Nook would read both or it woudln't give it to you(?)
These are books in "eReader" format, not ePub format. Totally different eBook format. The nook reads both formats.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 09:36 AM   #9
Wolf3
Connoisseur
Wolf3 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Wolf3 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Wolf3 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Wolf3 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

So why would Barnes & Noble be using two different DRM schemes or file formats? I mean I understand why they'd support two different ones on the hardware, but why would they sell you books in two different formats?
Old 02-18-2011, 10:04 AM   #10
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

The reason is historical going back to before there was a Nook. As Harry said, PDB is a file format referred to as eReader. In early 2009, B&N acquired Fictionwise, including their ebookstores fictionwise.com and ereader.com, in an attempt to have an online bookstore presence before they launched their own name-branded ebookstore. These websites primarily sold books in the PDB format. See linked article.
http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-10190554-93.html

By the end of 2009, B&N had launched their ebookstore under their own name selling books in the PDB format and now had the Nook e-ink for sale as well. B&N saw that the industry standard for file format is EPUB and that they needed to adopt it. They then decided to convert their ebookstore to selling EPUB. They clearly don't see a future in the PDB format if they chose not to support it on their latest ereader, the NOOKcolor. Here are some links about the conversion to EPUBs.
http://www.digitaltrends.com/gadgets...ns-with-adobe/
http://gigaom.com/mobile/has-barnes-...ormat-to-epub/

In regards to your DRM question, there are many ereaders that read the EPUB file format. For example, I can buy a book from the Sony ebookstore, Borders, etc and read it on my Sony ereader and my NC. However, B&N added a special flavor of DRM to the Adobe EPUBs sold in their bookstore that is not universal. I cannot buy an EPUB from B&N and then read it on my Sony ereader. I can only read it on my NC. There might be some other ereader brands that can read the B&N DRM'ed EPUB's but not as many.

So, in summary, B&N switched their preferred file format from PDB to the more universal EPUB format. They then chose to add a non-universal DRM encryption to their EPUBs.
Old 02-18-2011, 10:11 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
The reason is historical going back to before there was a Nook. As Harry said, PDB is a file format referred to as eReader.
We need to be a little cautious in saying things like that. A "PDB" file is a "Palm Database" file, and can contain data in any format whatsoever. eReader is one of the formats that's delivered in a PDB "wrapper", but so are many other things. All eReader books are PDB files, but it's certainly not the case that all PDB files are eReader books.
Old 02-18-2011, 11:24 AM   #12
Wolf3
Connoisseur

I was thinking it had something to do with Palm (I loved Palm OS and used it for about 10 years until it got abandoned )

Regarding Barnes & Noble's DRM, I know it's not as common, but for me it's the biggest selling point about the Nook...it's the only DRM flavor that uses password based encryption instead of activation. If I switch to Nook, that will be the reason. (And why I would have bought a Nook over a Kindle to begin with, had it been available.)
Old 02-18-2011, 11:29 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf3 View Post
I was thinking it had something to do with Palm (I loved Palm OS and used it for about 10 years until it got abandoned )
That's right, it does. eReader started life as a program called "Peanut Reader" on Palm handhelds. That's why eReader books still use a Palm file format.
Old 02-18-2011, 12:45 PM   #14
nookkatz
Tuxedo Cats!
nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nooks and iThings
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
Just a tip that the Develop menu does not show by default. You have to go to Safari > Preferences > Advanced. Check the box that says "Show Develop menu in menu bar". Then Develop will appear in the menu bar in between Bookmarks and Window. I typically select User Agent > IE 8.0.
Thank you! I forgot that I had to check the box in Preferences to get the Develop menu to show.

BTW, I love your avatar!
nookkatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 04:11 PM   #15
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by nookkatz View Post
Thank you! I forgot that I had to check the box in Preferences to get the Develop menu to show.
BTW, I love your avatar!
The workarounds that we Mac users have to resort to! There are some options on the Amazon website related to Kindle books that are different depending on whether it detects that you are using Safari or IE too.

Thanks for the compliment on my avatar! I took a photo of my cat and then applied a cartoon filter and painted in her eyes green. She's a cutie who thinks that she should be the center of my attention all the time, especially when I'm reading!