Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 01-01-2011, 11:11 PM   #1
dreamsgate
Connoisseur
dreamsgate doesn't litterdreamsgate doesn't litter

Device: kindle 2
Trouble creating catlog with new version 0.7.36

I like to use the Create Catalog feature of Calibre and haven't had any problems until latest release (0.7.36), I didn't change much except added custom column to be added to comments and then hit apply and create catalog.

The catalog keeps aborting and gives the following error message, I gather something is wrong with thumbnail cache but I am not catching what is wrong or even more important how to fix it.

ERROR: Conversion Error: <b>Failed</b>: Generate catalog

Generate catalog
Catalog_EPUB_MOBI(): Generating mobi for kindle in GUI environment
connected_device: 'None'
book count: 591
Sections: Authors, Titles, Recently Added, Genres, Descriptions
opts:
authorClip: 60
catalog_title: u'My Library'
connected_kindle: False
descriptionClip: 100
exclude_book_marker: u':'
exclude_genre: u'\\[[\\w ]*\\]'
exclude_tags: u'~,Catalog'
header_note_source_field: ''
merge_comments: u'#free_paid:before:True'
output_profile: 'kindle'
read_book_marker: u'tag:+'
search_text: None
sort_by: None
sort_descriptions_by_author: True
sync: False
thumb_width: '1.00'
wishlist_tag: u'Wishlist'
invalidating cache at 'C:\Users\Mom\AppData\Roaming\calibre\caches\catal og\thumbs.zip'
thumb_width changed: -1.00" => 1.00"
Python function terminated unexpectedly
[Error 32] The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process: u'C:\\Users\\Mom\\AppData\\Roaming\\calibre\\cache s\\catalog\\thumbs.zip' (Error Code: 1)
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site.py", line 103, in main
File "site.py", line 85, in run_entry_point
File "site-packages\calibre\utils\ipc\worker.py", line 107, in main
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\convert\gui_conversion.py", line 61, in gui_catalog
File "site-packages\calibre\library\catalog.py", line 5014, in run
File "site-packages\calibre\library\catalog.py", line 1009, in __init__
WindowsError: [Error 32] The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process: u'C:\\Users\\Mom\\AppData\\Roaming\\calibre\\cache s\\catalog\\thumbs.zip'
If someone could clue me in, I would really appreciate it. I love the catalog feature.
dreamsgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 04:54 AM   #2
GRiker
Comparer of the Ephemeris
GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I was unable to replicate this problem. Please try restarting your machine to see if that makes a difference.

If you are trying to look at the cache file with another program, don't do that while calibre is running.

Which version of Windows are you running?

G

Last edited by GRiker; 01-02-2011 at 04:57 AM.
GRiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-02-2011, 08:31 AM   #3
Maggie-Me
Zealot
Maggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with others

Device: Kindle PW,Sony 700, Sony 950 (Daily Edition),Nook Color,iPad
I got the same problem just after the update but it works if I pick CSV, only EPUB doesn't (I didn't try the other choices only epub and csv)

Generate catalog
Catalog_EPUB_MOBI(): Generating epub for sony in GUI environment
book count: 7
Sections: Authors, Titles, Descriptions
opts:
authorClip: 100
descriptionClip: 380
exclude_genre: u'.'
merge_comments: '::True'
output_profile: 'sony'
read_book_marker: u'#read:+'
invalidating cache at 'C:\Users\Joe Hilley\AppData\Roaming\calibre\caches\catalog\thum bs.zip'
thumb_width changed: -1.00" => 1.00"
[Error 32] The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process: u'C:\\Users\\Joe Hilley\\AppData\\Roaming\\calibre\\caches\\catalog \\thumbs.zip' (Error Code: 1)
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\convert\gui_conversion.py", line 61, in gui_catalog
File "site-packages\calibre\library\catalog.py", line 5014, in run
File "site-packages\calibre\library\catalog.py", line 1009, in __init__
WindowsError: [Error 32] The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process: u'C:\\Users\\#########\\AppData\\Roaming\\calibre\ \caches\\catalog\\thumbs.zip'

Last edited by Maggie-Me; 01-02-2011 at 08:35 AM.
Maggie-Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 08:34 AM   #4
GRiker
GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm looking at it, will post more info when I learn what's happening.

G
Old 01-02-2011, 08:55 AM   #5
Maggie-Me
Zealot
Maggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with others

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRiker View Post
I'm looking at it, will post more info when I learn what's happening.

G
Interesting / Help?

right after you try to do a catalog build, if you run check database you get a messatge, when you shut down and restart you don't get the message in the check database

ERROR: Error: Failed to check database integrity

File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\actions\choose_library.py", line 94, in run
File "site-packages\calibre\library\database2.py", line 2772, in check_integrity
WindowsError: [Error 32] The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process: u'C:\\Users\\-------\\Documents\\EBooks\\metadata.db'

Then when you close down program you get

ERROR: ERROR: Unhandled exception: <b>DatabaseException</b>:Connection closed
Remote

File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\ui.py", line 634, in closeEvent
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\ui.py", line 508, in write_settings
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\init.py", line 261, in save_layout_state
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\library\views.py", line 280, in save_state
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\library\views.py", line 274, in write_state
File "site-packages\calibre\library\prefs.py", line 51, in set
File "site-packages\calibre\library\prefs.py", line 44, in __setitem__
File "site-packages\calibre\library\sqlite.py", line 223, in run
DatabaseException: Connection closed
Remote
Advert
Old 01-02-2011, 09:22 AM   #6
beckywc
Addict
beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini w/Retina, Kindle 3, Kindle Fire HDX 8.9, & Asus Transformer
I'm getting the same error.
beckywc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 11:51 AM   #7
dreamsgate
Connoisseur

Restarting didn't help, and I also got that same error when I tried to check my database as well.
Old 01-02-2011, 12:50 PM   #8
GRiker

@dreamsgate, @Maggie-Me, @beckywc:
Please do the following:
- With no instances of calibre running, delete the thumbs.zip file
- Start calibre again, try building the catalog again
- Report the results, including the version of Windows you're running

G
Old 01-02-2011, 01:21 PM   #9
dreamsgate
Connoisseur

Windows 7 Home Premium on a 64 system

Okay deleted thumbs zip, tried to rebuild catalog, failed but new error message

Generate catalog
Catalog_EPUB_MOBI(): Generating mobi for kindle in GUI environment
book count: 592
Sections: Authors, Titles, Recently Added, Genres, Descriptions
opts:
authorClip: 60
descriptionClip: 100
exclude_genre: u'\\[[\\w ]*\\]'
merge_comments: u'#free_paid:before:True'
output_profile: 'kindle'
read_book_marker: u'tag:+'
creating thumbnail archive, thumb_width: 1.00"
Begin catalog source generation
DPI = 168; thumbnail dimensions: 84 x 112
unsupported operand type(s) for +=: 'NoneType' and 'str' (Error Code: 1)
File "site-packages\calibre\library\catalog.py", line 5020, in run
File "site-packages\calibre\library\catalog.py", line 1340, in buildSources
File "site-packages\calibre\library\catalog.py", line 1511, in fetchBooksByTitle
File "site-packages\calibre\library\catalog.py", line 4829, in mergeComments
TypeError: unsupported operand type(s) for +=: 'NoneType' and 'str'
Old 01-02-2011, 01:28 PM   #10
Maggie-Me
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRiker View Post
@dreamsgate, @Maggie-Me, @beckywc:
Please do the following:
- With no instances of calibre running, delete the thumbs.zip file
- Start calibre again, try building the catalog again
- Report the results, including the version of Windows you're running

G
Running Win 7
After Deleting the thumbs.zip file and restarting it builds the catalog without error

But when you get to the description it seems like a lot of information is missing (replaced by the icon ?), too be honest not sure what showed up before... see what others say
Old 01-02-2011, 01:29 PM   #11
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
something odd may be happening in 36.
Right after the update I was adding (an empty (wiishlist) book) -editing metadata, saved and discovered that the book was a duplicate, So I tried to delete it. Windows in use error.

I QUIT calibre, Verified I did not have the folder open. Restarted Calibre. Same error until I rebooted XP.
Delete book now good.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 01:33 PM   #12
GRiker

@dreamsgate: Try disabling Merge with comments (select the blank entry at the top of the list).

G
Old 01-02-2011, 02:41 PM   #13
dreamsgate
Connoisseur

Okay disabled Merge with comments, catalog generated and I have a bunch of ? icons instead of normal infos as well.
Old 01-02-2011, 02:43 PM   #14
GRiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamsgate View Post
Okay disabled Merge with comments, catalog generated and I have a bunch of ? icons instead of normal infos as well.
I don't know that means, so I need to see the file.
Create a small catalog, 4-5 books, create a ticket, attach the catalog.
In the ticket, include the settings you used to create the catalog - Output profile, and MOBI or EPUB.

G

Last edited by GRiker; 01-02-2011 at 02:47 PM.
Old 01-02-2011, 02:54 PM   #15
nkd431
Enthusiast
nkd431 is kind to children and small, furry animalsnkd431 is kind to children and small, furry animalsnkd431 is kind to children and small, furry animalsnkd431 is kind to children and small, furry animalsnkd431 is kind to children and small, furry animalsnkd431 is kind to children and small, furry animalsnkd431 is kind to children and small, furry animalsnkd431 is kind to children and small, furry animalsnkd431 is kind to children and small, furry animalsnkd431 is kind to children and small, furry animalsnkd431 is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Nokia N810, Nook 3G, Nook Color, Nook HD+
I am getting the catalog errors in latest calibre update (36). Am running win7 home premium 64bit. Got thumbs.zip error message, deleted from appdata folder. Now catalog is very incomplete. Am cataloging currents books on my device so just 49 books. List by author is incomplete. Descriptions are incomplete with many ? . Descriptions do not match up with lists.
nkd431 is offline   Reply With Quote