Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-21-2010, 03:47 PM   #1
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
Sony PRS-350 vs. Pocketbook 360: aesthetic point of view

I hesitated about where to put this, but I finally decided to post it in the WOSIB subforum because it may be handy for people looking for pocketable readers. So, I finally could have a Pearl Screen reader in my very hand and see it with my very eyes. I couldn't really play with the 350 (it was the only unit available in a shop in Madrid, and there were people waiting to play with it), but I brought my Vizplex sporting reader (the PB of course) to compare with the famed Pearl, and here are my impressions.
  • The Pearl screen looks gorgeous. The text is really nitid and outshines the Vizplex screen by far. It's a pity I couldn't make pictures, but I think there are some around already.
  • The PRS 350 was quite fast in loading and processing pages, but not much faster than the Mighty Mouse. Considering that I have an SD card with hundreds of files in my MM, the fact that the newer reader, which only had the user guide and the Lazarillo, wasn't much faster talks much of the might of the Mighty Mouse and the programming behind it.
  • The MM is slightly bigger than the Sony: they were actually a perfect match concerning height. The reason is obvious: while the Pocketbook has no touch screen and needs buttons, the Sony's touch screen allows to do away with most extraneous buttons and to keep the ones present integrated just below the screen (which is a great idea, btw). They're both really pocketable, but I really miss a shell-like cover, for I'm usually not too fond of external ones. Pocketbook's lid was one of the most ingenious ideas I've seen.
  • The Sony struck me as really, really stylish. My mind reeled a bit and imagined a fashion victim girl with the little thing, taking it from her minimalistic purse and becoming engorged in some book... and considering the fact that the PRS350, and only that model, is present in light pink (though the one I played with was silvery) it seems like the Sony designers would agree with me about what target does the little one cater to.
    I love my Pocketbook and I wouldn't trade it ever because I've grown to love it with time, but it is less visually enticing.

Those were my impressions in the scarce minutes I could use the Sony. Of course, you should research primarily about the functionalities of each reader.
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote