Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 02-07-2010, 09:26 AM   #16
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceflor View Post
Abso.f.lutely. Or at least, you should really really convince yourself (and your wife) that you do. Says me. Who will get a nook in around 2 weeks , and a second one for my brother if the first one convinces me..
Just an idea: Why not Sony 900? I absolutely love it. If you're okay already with Sony 600, you'll love it as well. Quite frankly, I don't see any significant advantages of nook over Kindle. Sony 900 with its phantastic design, touchscreen and drastically reduced glare...
Or iRex 800, if you're out for a PDB reader.
My ranking: Sony 900, iRex 800, nook, Kindle 2, ...
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 10:47 AM   #17
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
Don't. Do. That. Again. You are responsible for the many devices I have already, so don't go down that road

Seriously, I end up not using the 600 much, if at all. It is so slow at adding new books...... I use the K2 at home and the Pocketbook 360 (those you really should give a try, btw ) outside because it is tiny and fits in any purse. The 505 (as you always say yourself) is a great device, so I keep that one and use it when I travel (if I lose it, I'd be sad, but it was a very cheap deal).

I found the Nook lovely from the beginning, but was rather put off by the functionality or better said lack of functionality (no working bookmarks? please !). With the new update, many issues seem to be resolved, so I will give it a go. If I don't like it enough, it'll go to my brother, this is the reason why I have to make sure the things he likes are working.

I don't need the many features the 900 offers, so it is certainly a great device, but without WiFi, it is missing the only gimmick I miss in the readers I own. Basically, I just read. I am not in the US, I don't take many notes, and could do it with a pen on a pad next to me, I convert my pdfs, plus I don't like the design of the 900 really, it is long, dark and has "a sad face". But this is a conversation for the "which one to choose" area..
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 05:24 PM   #18
mos
Addict
mos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it is

Device: iphone 4, iPad, Nook softrooted
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
Did you softroot yours? If so: What applications do you use?
No. I have the original Nook firmware on mine. If you purchased the books via vpn and computer in your B&N account and you added them to your library, you can simply download them on your Nook than.

Just tap on Check for new B&M content. It works at least for mine
mos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 06:52 PM   #19
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mos View Post
No. I have the original Nook firmware on mine. If you purchased the books via vpn and computer in your B&N account and you added them to your library, you can simply download them on your Nook than.

Just tap on Check for new B&M content. It works at least for mine
This only seems to be working for the initial download.
I'm not quite sure. But I think, the very first time all books had been downloaded automatically after some time.
Then I've experimented with softroot and have deleted the internal memory twice.
Now I still see all the books in my library.
But if I check the details, I don't see "read" but "download" at first.
So I have to manually download every single book.
I've put it into standby over night. Next morning, not a single book had been downloaded.
Of course it's not really a problem to actually download a book only when you need it. But I would like to have all my books from B&N already on the unit. Especially as it's only 70 books right now and I've got more than enough memory for that.
I've downloaded them, 1 by 1. For 70 books it's okay, but far from perfect of course. But imagine 300 books. And you're in a hotel, don't have the book you'd like to read on your unit, no 3G in Germany. Then you either have to go through USB again, or you have to read something else...

Last edited by mgmueller; 02-07-2010 at 07:07 PM.
Old 02-08-2010, 08:58 AM   #20
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Don't. Do. That. Again. You are responsible for the many devices I have already, so don't go down that road

Seriously, I end up not using the 600 much, if at all. It is so slow at adding new books...... I use the K2 at home and the Pocketbook 360 (those you really should give a try, btw ) outside because it is tiny and fits in any purse. The 505 (as you always say yourself) is a great device, so I keep that one and use it when I travel (if I lose it, I'd be sad, but it was a very cheap deal).

I found the Nook lovely from the beginning, but was rather put off by the functionality or better said lack of functionality (no working bookmarks? please !). With the new update, many issues seem to be resolved, so I will give it a go. If I don't like it enough, it'll go to my brother, this is the reason why I have to make sure the things he likes are working.

I don't need the many features the 900 offers, so it is certainly a great device, but without WiFi, it is missing the only gimmick I miss in the readers I own. Basically, I just read. I am not in the US, I don't take many notes, and could do it with a pen on a pad next to me, I convert my pdfs, plus I don't like the design of the 900 really, it is long, dark and has "a sad face". But this is a conversation for the "which one to choose" area..
"Ebiumn" did recommend Pocketbook 360 as well.
I've considered it 2 months ago. But I've decided against it. Mainly because of the buttons for turning pages. I've read somewhere, it's not actual buttons, but "cut outs" in the housing, which you press onto the switch. Someone wrote, the plastic from this cut-out would fade and weaken. I already saw myself permanently staring at that spot and decided against that.
Is this description correct? Maybe you can take a picture of the buttons?
Do you really prefer it over Cybook Opus?
Old 02-08-2010, 10:38 AM   #21
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
"Ebiumn" did recommend Pocketbook 360 as well.
I've considered it 2 months ago. But I've decided against it. Mainly because of the buttons for turning pages. I've read somewhere, it's not actual buttons, but "cut outs" in the housing, which you press onto the switch. Someone wrote, the plastic from this cut-out would fade and weaken. I already saw myself permanently staring at that spot and decided against that.
Is this description correct? Maybe you can take a picture of the buttons?
Do you really prefer it over Cybook Opus?
Yes, will do, this evening. The buttons are absolutely OK, plus there is a method now to turn the pages by just moving your hand (it is all explained quite well in the Pocketbook subforums, in english as well as in german, go and have a look). I love my PB, and am selling the Opus now, so yeah, I really prefer it.
Old 02-08-2010, 07:27 PM   #22
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Yes, will do, this evening. The buttons are absolutely OK, plus there is a method now to turn the pages by just moving your hand (it is all explained quite well in the Pocketbook subforums, in english as well as in german, go and have a look). I love my PB, and am selling the Opus now, so yeah, I really prefer it.
So, what's better then in Pocketbook 360 than in Cybook Opus? Hardware? OS? Both? I don't use Opus, because I don't have any real need for 5". But I still think, it's a great unit. Especially since the firmware update: Very fast, reliable and nice form factor.
Old 02-09-2010, 12:36 AM   #23
aceflor
Wizard

Quote:
So, what's better then in Pocketbook 360 than in Cybook Opus? Hardware? OS? Both? I don't use Opus, because I don't have any real need for 5". But I still think, it's a great unit. Especially since the firmware update: Very fast, reliable and nice form factor.
sorry, I was really tired, so the pics will arrive later, hopefully today.
The Hardware is ok, but not that great, but the OS is fantastic on the PB AND there are plenty of apps being developped. It reads prc AND epub, which is grand for me, but not only those formats. It is surprisingly good with pdf, considering the 5" screen.

Move your butt to Nürnberg (take the train, you like that, don't you ?) and have a look yourself. PM Forkosigan and he'll tell you were to see them.

Re the Nook: why did you not keep it rooted?
Old 02-09-2010, 01:18 AM   #24
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
The Hardware is ok, but not that great, but the OS is fantastic on the PB AND there are plenty of apps being developped. It reads prc AND epub, which is grand for me, but not only those formats. It is surprisingly good with pdf, considering the 5" screen.

Move your butt to Nürnberg (take the train, you like that, don't you ?) and have a look yourself. PM Forkosigan and he'll tell you were to see them.

I don't need the webbrowser.
I don't need all my books in a single structure. Actually I prefer, keeping them separated.
I don't need to download via Stanza and other sources. Why would I do that? I've got hundreds of books on my SD card. As soon as I've got them in "calibre", I've got them on all my readers.
I didn't like the quality of the covers. Interesting enough: Even the covers of the B&N books look differently.
Don't get me wrong: Those guys made a phantastic job. And they've even "hacked" V1.2 the very same day. But I simply don't have the demand. Didn't install the 3rd party apps on my 2nd iRex iLiad (1st one got stolen) as well.
To phrase it positively: I don't find any substantial flaws in nook, which would cry for a solution.

Last edited by mgmueller; 02-09-2010 at 01:32 AM.
Old 02-09-2010, 01:25 AM   #25
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:

"Hardware not that great".
To which other reader would you compare it? Does it look and feel "cheap" and "plasticky"? (That's what I don't like, for example about BeBook. I want to "enjoy" my gadgets, not just use them efficiently).