Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 05-20-2024, 02:37 PM   #1
Anghirrim
Seeking for Graal
Anghirrim can read faster than his screen refreshesAnghirrim can read faster than his screen refreshesAnghirrim can read faster than his screen refreshesAnghirrim can read faster than his screen refreshesAnghirrim can read faster than his screen refreshesAnghirrim can read faster than his screen refreshesAnghirrim can read faster than his screen refreshesAnghirrim can read faster than his screen refreshesAnghirrim can read faster than his screen refreshesAnghirrim can read faster than his screen refreshesAnghirrim can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: Kobo Forma / Onyx Boox Page
Exclamation Bootloop on Page after fastboot boot tentative custom recovery.

Hi,

I was playing around with my boox page and tried to unpack/repack the stock recovery to enable ADB.

And now, I am stuck in a bootloop I can't exit from.

What I did:
- Dumped stock recovery via EDL
- Unpacked the recovery.img using Magisk Tools (https://topjohnwu.github.io/Magisk/tools.html)
- Opened the ramdisk.cpio archive
- Edited the prop.default with the following options (found on the net, the goal was to enable adb on recovery):
- ro.secure=0
- ro.adb.secure=0
- ro.debuggable=1
- Saved my changes and repacked the recovery.img
- Booted into bootloader and ran "fastboot boot patched-recovery.img"

Now, I am stuck in a bootloop that I can't exit from.

Long pressing the power button does not help, trying to catch adb or fastboot neither.
Trying to boot under Qualcomm EDL 900e (holding volume buttons), no chance...

I also tried to change the active slot to b, but fastboot keeps waiting for a device.

I finally opened my Page and disconnected the battery. When I restart it.... still bootloop.

I need your help there.... what should I do?

I cannot find any reset point on the mother board, and I don't know where to look for the EDL 9008 test points.

Help

Motherboard pictures to come soon.

Last edited by Anghirrim; 05-20-2024 at 03:19 PM.
Anghirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2024, 02:42 PM   #2
Anghirrim
Seeking for Graal
Anghirrim can read faster than his screen refreshesAnghirrim can read faster than his screen refreshesAnghirrim can read faster than his screen refreshesAnghirrim can read faster than his screen refreshesAnghirrim can read faster than his screen refreshesAnghirrim can read faster than his screen refreshesAnghirrim can read faster than his screen refreshesAnghirrim can read faster than his screen refreshesAnghirrim can read faster than his screen refreshesAnghirrim can read faster than his screen refreshesAnghirrim can read faster than his screen refreshes

Here are the pictures.

On the mother board, the battery connector is on the bottom left.

And the USB-C connector.

Suprisingly, the motherboard is labelled for the Boox Leaf 2 Pro.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MOBO_Page.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	1.05 MB
ID:	208412   Click image for larger version

Name:	USB-C_Page.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	744.3 KB
ID:	208413  
Old 05-20-2024, 04:08 PM   #3
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
Onyx has varied between very obvious (Poke3) to very obscure (Poke5) in the layout of UART and USB_BOOT ("EDL") test points.
I think the 5 points at the bottom of the big photo are the most probable.
But don't just go shorting things (unless you want to vaporize your device).
Do you have a DVM? Even a cheapy if it has "diode test".
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	diodedvm.png
Views:	12
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	208414  
Renate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2024, 04:26 PM   #4
Anghirrim
Seeking for Graal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renate View Post
Onyx has varied between very obvious (Poke3) to very obscure (Poke5) in the layout of UART and USB_BOOT ("EDL") test points.
I think the 5 points at the bottom of the big photo are the most probable.
But don't just go shorting things (unless you want to vaporize your device).
Do you have a DVM? Even a cheapy if it has "diode test".
Yep I do, one that makes a bip when current passes between the connection points.

Is this OK for you? It has the diode sign on the 2000ohm part.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PXL_20240520_202606299.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	756.9 KB
ID:	208415  

Last edited by Anghirrim; 05-20-2024 at 04:31 PM.
Old 05-20-2024, 04:34 PM   #5
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anghirrim View Post
Is this OK for you?
That's hard to tell, but let's go with it.

Device on.
DVM on 20 DCV --- (not ~)
Black lead on nice metal shield under the eMMC.
Red lead on each of the five points, measure the voltage. Write it down
Only for points that measure zero-ish (0.little):
Switch to "beeper mode" and measure again. Write it down.
What did you get?
Old 05-20-2024, 04:41 PM   #6
Anghirrim
Seeking for Graal

Quote:
That's hard to tell, but let's go with it.

Device on.
DVM on 20 DCV --- (not ~)
Black lead on nice metal shield under the eMMC.
Red lead on each of the five points, measure the voltage. Write it down
Only for points that measure zero-ish (0.little):
Switch to "beeper mode" and measure again. Write it down.
What did you get?
You mean like this?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DVM.png
Views:	17
Size:	298.8 KB
ID:	208416   Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20240520_204109730.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	697.7 KB
ID:	208417  
Old 05-20-2024, 04:48 PM   #7
Renate
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anghirrim View Post
You mean like this?
Yup. Yes, sirree.
Old 05-20-2024, 05:00 PM   #8
Anghirrim
Seeking for Graal

Quote:
Yup. Yes, sirree.
Ok, no risk to fry anything with 20V (just anxious lol)?

I'll try tomorrow, it's getting late here.

Thanks for the help!!

Edit: Ah no stupid me... It'll just measure how much goes through the DVM...

Last edited by Anghirrim; 05-20-2024 at 05:16 PM.
Old 05-21-2024, 02:01 AM   #9
Anghirrim
Seeking for Graal

Quote:
Yup. Yes, sirree.
Okay... From left (near the battery connector) to right:

Voltage (V): 0 | 1,8 | 0 | 1,8 | 0
Beep: / | / | B | / | /

I beep tested all point, I forgot you told me only the zero one. But only the square point in the middle beeps.
Old 05-21-2024, 06:14 AM   #10
Renate
Wizard

That looks good.
I'm not sure about your meter. Doesn't it give numbers too in "beep" mode?

So, here's what you do:
Device on, USB connected.
Meter in beep mode.
Black on tin
Red first on the far left point.
Hold the power button for 10+ seconds, release.
Watch for 05c6/9008 on USB.

Didn't work? Try again with far right point.
Old 05-21-2024, 06:29 AM   #11
Anghirrim
Seeking for Graal

Quote:
That looks good.

So, here's what you do:
Meter in beep mode.
Black on tin

Ok, will try after work

When you speak about "black on tin", you're referring to the metallic shield, right?

And for the meter, I don't think it gives numbers while beeping.
Old 05-21-2024, 08:16 AM   #12
Anghirrim
Seeking for Graal

Side question, do you know if the faulty recovery caused that bootloop?
It's crazy that a "fastboot boot" query remains active even after a battery disconnection. I would have expected it to be volatile.

That being said, I ran the command twice. First, no error, but the device did not reboot. Second time, I had an error message (can't remember what), and it went into bootloop.
Old 05-21-2024, 11:56 AM   #13
Anghirrim
Seeking for Graal

Quote:
That looks good.

So, here's what you do:
Meter in beep mode.
Black on tin

Okay, far right point did the trick.

I managed to boot into EDL 9008 mode and inject the loader.

However, I had to release the tips of my DVM and stop connecting the shield with the right point.

This resulted in loosing EDL and my computer started complaining about a device it could not recognize.

Now, to be able to flash something and stay in the EDL 9008 mode, should I find a stable way to keep those two points connected?
Old 05-21-2024, 12:20 PM   #14
Renate
Wizard

After it shows 9008 you shouldn't need to hold the probe any longer unless you reboot and want to go back to EDL.
Old 05-21-2024, 12:23 PM   #15
Anghirrim
Seeking for Graal

Quote:
After it shows 9008 you shouldn't need to hold the probe any longer unless you reboot and want to go back to EDL.
Hmmm weird... I'll have another try later then