Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Editor

Notices

Old 08-29-2023, 05:52 AM   #1
Vakke
Enthusiast
Vakke doesn't litterVakke doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Is there a possibility to bulk edit custom ebook formatting to all ePubs?

As the topic says.

Is there a possibility to do so?

I'm using KOReader and every book has their own embedded style. When I turn the embedded style off it seems all the books have different formatting styles even though I've tried to inject custom CSS rules through conversion.

Is there a possibility to somehow modify ePub files so all of them have the same custom formatting style while not using the embedded style on KOReader?
Vakke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2023, 06:03 AM   #2
Karellen
Wizard
Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vakke View Post
Is there a possibility to somehow modify ePub files so all of them have the same custom formatting style while not using the embedded style on KOReader?
There is no quick click to mass format epubs.
You would need to manually edit each epub. There are too many variables between books.
Karellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2023, 06:10 AM   #3
Vakke
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karellen View Post
There is no quick click to mass format epubs.
You would need to manually edit each epub. There are too many variables between books.
Do you know is there a way to save the embedded style of ePubs but also inject my own CSS formatting? I've found a good starting point CSS for me here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=346265 and I'd like to inject that CSS to my ePubs.

It seems that even though I edit that CSS to the stylesheet.css only linespacing from the beginning of the book chapter changes and nothing else.
Old 08-29-2023, 06:23 AM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@Vakke - a combination of the Editor Chains and Action Chains plugins perhaps.

See Integration with Action Chains: in Editor Chains

I don't use either plugin, just know of their existence.

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2023, 06:55 AM   #5
Vakke
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
@Vakke - a combination of the Editor Chains and Action Chains plugins perhaps.

See Integration with Action Chains: in Editor Chains

I don't use either plugin, just know of their existence.

BR
Thank you for this!

It seems to do what I want but I have no idea how to do it. I think I really took a bite of something way too big and I have no clue how to do and edit.
Old 08-29-2023, 07:14 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Do you know is there a way to save the embedded style of ePubs but also inject my own CSS formatting? I've found a good starting point CSS for me here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=346265 and I'd like to inject that CSS to my ePubs.

It seems that even though I edit that CSS to the stylesheet.css only linespacing from the beginning of the book chapter changes and nothing else.
If the starting point the is the CSS in the first post, that's not a good starting point.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2023, 07:41 AM   #7
Vakke
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If the starting point the is the CSS in the first post, that's not a good starting point.
Could you elaborate?
Old 08-29-2023, 12:56 PM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Every Publisher is KING. They do it THEIR WAY (AKA 'House styles').

You need to reverse engineer every book.

And just because a House has Rules (The House stylesheet), does not mean the person (lowest bidder?) used it correctly
I have seen a whole book mostly coded class="frontmatter" because that was the first CSS entry that looked OK to the coder.

A House stylesheet may have a dozen styles that are currently the same. The Theory is, 'I can change the look of any page type later.'
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2023, 05:50 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Every Publisher is KING. They do it THEIR WAY (AKA 'House styles').

You need to reverse engineer every book.

And just because a House has Rules (The House stylesheet), does not mean the person (lowest bidder?) used it correctly
I have seen a whole book mostly coded class="frontmatter" because that was the first CSS entry that looked OK to the coder.

A House stylesheet may have a dozen styles that are currently the same. The Theory is, 'I can change the look of any page type later.'
And different books can have different CSS. Even eBook in the same series can have different CSS.

Using that CSS you found here won't work. You will not be able to match the classes in the CSS of the eBooks with the classes in that CSS. As is said above, you have to look at the CSS code for what's going on in the HTML and then fix it to do what you want if it's not doing what you want.

I install my small set of CSS classes and they work for me. but then, I know what I'm doing to be able to use some of them. I don't always use all of them and the ones that don't get used to get erased when I am done. My CSS is not a put in place and it's fixed. They are a fix for some things depending on what's in the CSS of the eBook. But I have to change some classes to use mine instead. It's not a drop in and done.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2023, 07:12 PM   #10
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Thank you for this!

It seems to do what I want but I have no idea how to do it. I think I really took a bite of something way too big and I have no clue how to do and edit.
Post a query in the Editor Chains thread, the developer (capink) is active and he's always helpful and amenable to enhancing his plugins.

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2023, 07:25 PM   #11
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
I edit every ebook manually. There's no other way, as the previous posters said. Mass insertion of a piece of code will never work on all ebooks, or even most of them, because there's no telling how an individual ebook is coded without looking at the code in that book. There are literally hundreds of ways something can be coded.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2023, 07:49 PM   #12
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Which is why the Jump to Style or link feature is in the editor.
Even then, the results are not always what it looks like,
CSS. Cascade
A ripple down might be in play.
The Editor also includes View: Inspector
A tool that allows backtracking/examining. This is not a tool for one with no knowledge of how to use a CSS to begin with.
EPUB is blocks within Blocks. This tool allows you to select and expand a block to see what is being done.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Inspector.JPG
Views:	51
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	203436  
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote