Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 03-23-2023, 06:16 AM   #1
stutz
stutz began at the beginning.

Device: kobo clara hd
Avoid loss with jpeg

I have a bunch of comics in cbz format (jpeg encoded), that I would like to optimize for reading on my ereader. Using calibre, I can trim the images to remove the white border and rotate landscape pages so that they fill my screen. However, both options require reencoding the images, which results in ugly artifacts and/or bigger files than the originals.

It should be possible to perfectly preserve the content of the image without increasing filesize by:
1. Only cropping the borders by multiples of 8x8 blocks
2. Using the rotation metadata instead of modifying the pixels

Is it possible to do that from within calibre? Alternatively, is there any tool to do that on linux? I could write a script for the second part using imagemagick's "identify" and exiftool, but I couldn't find how to do the first part.
stutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 06:44 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
No, it's not possible within calibre.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 09:33 AM   #3
stutz
stutz began at the beginning.

Device: kobo clara hd
Thanks. I'll try and see if I can write a plugin then. In the meanwhile, I managed to write a shell script to convert a file how I want (requires imagemagick and jpegtran). It turned out that my e-reader doesn't read exif metadata, so I have to actually rotate the image.

Code:
#!/bin/sh

infile="$1"
outfile="$2"

croparea=$(convert "$infile" -fuzz 10% +repage -trim -format '%[fx:w]x%[fx:h]+%[fx:page.x]+%[fx:page.y]\n' info:)
jpegtran -outfile tmp.jpg -progressive -arithmetic -crop $croparea "$infile"

read -r width height << EOF
$(identify -format "%w %h\n" $outfile)
EOF
if [ $width -gt $height ]; then
    jpegtran -outfile "$outfile" -progressive -arithmetic -rotate 90 tmp.jpg
fi
rm -f tmp.jpg
stutz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cbz, exif, jpeg