Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 11-29-2022, 03:54 PM   #1
quantumnaut
quantumnaut began at the beginning.

Device: Nova Air C
Ditching Amazon

New to the site, not new to ebooks.

As the title implies, I am ditching Amazon for a number of reasons. I've been on a Kindle Paperwhite for the past two years, but I just ordered an Onyx Boox Nova Air C. I have a couple of questions for any power user who has some wisdom in this arena that they're willing to impart.

What is your favorite (Android) ebook app and why? I know a lot of people are fond of Moon+ Reader, though some don't like its lack of CSS respect.

Is there a solid method for syncing highlight and progress across devices? This is one thing that I really like about the Kindle experience. I have three devices that I normally read on. An e-reader, Galaxy Fold 4, and desktop. I would like for my highlights and notes to reflect across each of these devices.

Thanks!
quantumnaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2022, 09:47 AM   #2
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Lithium, or if I want TTS, Pocketbook on LCD. But on my eink Android I use native ereader for PDF, KOReader for epub and Bolinda Borrowbox app for Irish Library books. But the Likebook Mars is seriously poor compared to Kobo Libra or Sage for epubs and poor compared to Sage or Elipsa for PDFs. I got it after the Libra and before the Sage & Elipsa, mainly to read library books. I also have Lichess, K9email and Musicolet MP3/audiobook player as well as Google Play Books, Kobo app and Kindle App.
I hardly use it and really only for the library books in Ireland. Irish Library books would be ones in Irish and I can't read Irish.

Forget cross device. Use one.

I thought Moonreader was rubbish.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2022, 12:53 PM   #3
kandwo
Addict
kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
I use a lot of readers on my Android devices with e-ink: Moon Reader, 3 versions of Alreader X, Librera Pro, Koreader, FBreader and Cool reader. All of them can sync their reading progress - I don't know about highlights. I have them each set up to my liking for different kinds of literature in basically the same way I would be able to have multiple physical books in progress at the same time.

The easiest to sync are Koreader and Alreader X - the latter is my favourite in general. By default it's much nicer than Koreader. The developer behind it also does work for the Russian versions of Onyx's devices, so he provides a version which is integrated as a system app for Onyx devices.

Beware that some of them (Moon reader and Librera) are not optimized for e-ink and therefore lack options for controlling screen refresh and might require you to configure the theme to be completely black and white.
kandwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 08:00 PM   #4
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
I use Moon+ Reader Pro on my Fire tablet and on my Android smart phone. Things are synced between these devices. And it is especially nice that you aren't forced to go through a third party cloud provider to get this syncing. I sync via my own self-hosted NextCloud instance running on one of my local home servers. Moon+ syncing can be done using the WebDAV interface, which is one of the things provided by NextCloud. I imagine Moon+ supports syncing via things like DropBox too, but I can't remember since I don't use that.

Unfortunately, I cannot sync these Moon+ using devices with my Kindle PaperWhite. And the PaperWhite is where I prefer to do my reading. But I sometimes read from my smart phone when I find I'm stuck in some place that I didn't intend to be stuck in, and I don't have my PaperWhite along with me.

I don't know of any eReaders that sync with other manufacturers devices, or support syncing without requiring you to use that manufacturers servers as a middleman. If anyone knows of an eReader that supports this, please speak up about it. I would certainly investigate that device!
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote