Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 02-04-2011, 11:34 PM   #16
purplesocklady
purplesocklady began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
That's great news, s1mp13m4n! Thanks for letting us know.

Do a google or amazon.com search and there are loads of options for Nook Classic cases. There are probably several threads on MR too. I know many people like the M-edge cases, especially the ones that are compatible with the M-Edge e-Luminator2 light. The light is an optional accessory. The cases typically have a slot that the light fits into.

I have two different clip-on lights for my ereaders. The Capstone "eBook Lite" from Target that clips at the top of the ereader and also the Book Owl light from the checkout area of Borders which clips to the side of the ereader.
Do you have a preference for light? I need one for my nook, and am hobbling along with an old-fashioned book light.
purplesocklady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 01:25 AM   #17
IrishEyes
IrishEyes began at the beginning.

Device: nook simple touch, nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by purplesocklady View Post
Do you have a preference for light? I need one for my nook, and am hobbling along with an old-fashioned book light.
I have a Luminator2 that slips into my M-Edge Latitude cover (in red). I like it because the plastic on the light exactly matches the plastic on the nook. When I slip it into the back of the cover the light looks like it is part of the nook.

It also have two levels of light so you can save your batteries if you want to. I'm going to have to get a set of rechargeable batteries because I'm going through them so fast! It's so dark in Seattle these days.
IrishEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 05:03 PM   #18
purplesocklady
purplesocklady began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishEyes View Post
I have a Luminator2 that slips into my M-Edge Latitude cover (in red). I like it because the plastic on the light exactly matches the plastic on the nook. When I slip it into the back of the cover the light looks like it is part of the nook.

It also have two levels of light so you can save your batteries if you want to. I'm going to have to get a set of rechargeable batteries because I'm going through them so fast! It's so dark in Seattle these days.
That looks like a great option. I like that it runs on AAA batteries, since I have a charger and batteries. I'm sure they'll last a lot longer than alkaline, as they do on my camera.
purplesocklady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 05:12 PM   #19
s1mp13m4n
Zealot
s1mp13m4n is no ebook tyro.s1mp13m4n is no ebook tyro.s1mp13m4n is no ebook tyro.s1mp13m4n is no ebook tyro.s1mp13m4n is no ebook tyro.s1mp13m4n is no ebook tyro.s1mp13m4n is no ebook tyro.s1mp13m4n is no ebook tyro.s1mp13m4n is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Here is another update and question. She bought a half case from BN in the store. It has a light built in to it. Now my mother is commenting about the poor battery life of the Nook Classic. How long does the battery last in it and what can you do to make it last longer? My cousin has one and says she charges hers every week and uses it every day. My mother is charging every 1-2 days.
s1mp13m4n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 05:19 PM   #20
rdfry
loving the books
rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rooted Nook, Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4, Galaxy Note 5, 2 Fire 7s Note 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1mp13m4n View Post
Here is another update and question. She bought a half case from BN in the store. It has a light built in to it. Now my mother is commenting about the poor battery life of the Nook Classic. How long does the battery last in it and what can you do to make it last longer? My cousin has one and says she charges hers every week and uses it every day. My mother is charging every 1-2 days.

Actual reading time is about 12 hours
rdfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 06:56 PM   #21
s1mp13m4n
Zealot
s1mp13m4n is no ebook tyro.s1mp13m4n is no ebook tyro.s1mp13m4n is no ebook tyro.s1mp13m4n is no ebook tyro.s1mp13m4n is no ebook tyro.s1mp13m4n is no ebook tyro.s1mp13m4n is no ebook tyro.s1mp13m4n is no ebook tyro.s1mp13m4n is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Thank you for the help. I think she is expecting too much from it as far as battery life. 12 hours of reading can pass rather fast.
s1mp13m4n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 07:29 AM   #22
RAH
Guru
RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Color Nook; Nook Touch
Yes, reading time can pass very fast, especially since I seldom get much more than 8 hours! So she is definitely expecting more than she'll get. I've had to adjust my thinking myself, and now charge every 4 days or so.
RAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 08:16 AM   #23
DTM
Intentionally Left Blank
DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
I, too, was surprised at the rather short battery life. The estimates you hear are clearly from the marketing folks.

Three things to do that will help:

1 - Keep the unit in "Airplane Mode" unless you're actually using Wi-Fi.

2 - Turn off auto-brightness for the LCD screen and set its brightness as low as you can manage with. I've found that 10% is easily bright enough.

3 - Set the timeout for the LCD screen to 10 seconds.
DTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 11:14 AM   #24
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1mp13m4n View Post
Thank you for the help. I think she is expecting too much from it as far as battery life. 12 hours of reading can pass rather fast.
Ok first you have to find out why she is recharging it after 2 days. Is it because she feels it's too low or does the nook tell her is time to recharge?

In Airplane mode and brightness under half she should see more than just 1 to 2 days.

She should let it run down until a dialog box appears to tell her it close to the time for recharging.

Don't know if this is urban legend or not but most recommend you should let the battery run almost all the way down and then recharge. Some say the battery needs to calbrate itself with the device. Don't know if there is any truth to it but I always let ALL my gadgets run down to the point where they say "Its time to Charge".

me personally I usually recharge mine from anywhere from 5 to 8 days, depending.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 05:06 PM   #25
pops1911
pops1911 began at the beginning.

According to the 'book' - the nook is ok to leave plugged in when not using to recharge the battery. My wife leaves hers in ac charge & mine stays in USB charge. No problems with battery life at all.

And talking about seniors using technology - my 87 year old mother-in-law is using her's everyday for many hours including playing Sodoku - no problem with hers either. We leave the wi-fi running so she can access through her router just as she does for her laptop. She's a 'modern' great granny! Can't see to drive, but can read anything at all - I hope I can still be that active at that age! Unless I get shot by a jealous husband of a 20 something beauty queen .... : )
pops1911 is offline   Reply With Quote