Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 07-10-2010, 10:42 AM   #16
RyanMWilliams
Author
RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Nook WiFi
I sure hope my Nook doesn't develop the sort of problems that folks have been having. I got mine recently and charged it first thing until the light went off, didn't take long. I think I've only charged it once or twice since then and not because the battery was down low or anything. I just checked and it's at 71% now. Mostly I've kept it with Airplane mode on, but I did connect yesterday and downloaded some samples just to try it out and show someone how easy it was. Crossing my fingers that it doesn't develop a problem!
RyanMWilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 02:32 PM   #17
Sylver
Addict
Sylver began at the beginning.

Device: The Nook, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanMWilliams View Post
I sure hope my Nook doesn't develop the sort of problems that folks have been having. I got mine recently and charged it first thing until the light went off, didn't take long. I think I've only charged it once or twice since then and not because the battery was down low or anything. I just checked and it's at 71% now. Mostly I've kept it with Airplane mode on, but I did connect yesterday and downloaded some samples just to try it out and show someone how easy it was. Crossing my fingers that it doesn't develop a problem!
keep us in loop of the updates. As far as I can see, the nook wifi is not stable on charging - I swapped the 3G version for this wifi version as I figured I dont have much use for the 3G, but honestly, I never had any issue charging with the 3G version. It does look like you need to put airplane mode off (turn the wifi on) to be able to charge the wifi version, very weird.
Sylver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 10:53 PM   #18
RyanMWilliams
Author
RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylver View Post
keep us in loop of the updates. As far as I can see, the nook wifi is not stable on charging - I swapped the 3G version for this wifi version as I figured I dont have much use for the 3G, but honestly, I never had any issue charging with the 3G version. It does look like you need to put airplane mode off (turn the wifi on) to be able to charge the wifi version, very weird.
After work today I installed the Adobe Digital Editions and checked out a book from the library. Had no problem adding that to the Nook. Afterwards I plugged the Nook in to charge it (with it still in airplane mode). No problems charging. It shows 100% charge now.
Old 07-14-2010, 06:06 PM   #19
Alamei
Alamei began at the beginning.

I just picked up a Wi-Fi Nook yesterday, and was able to charge it fully upon taking it out of the box. However, now that I have loaded some of my own eBooks (PDF & epub) onto it, I can't seem to get it to charge on either the computer or straight from the power outlet. It doesn't make sense that the charging would be affected by what files are on the Nook, but this thread is sure starting to make it sound like there's an odd software/firmware issue with the charging process.
Alamei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 06:24 PM   #20
RyanMWilliams
Author

It does seem strange. I've added about 400 books (I already had from Fictionwise and eReader), I've downloaded samples via the B&N store and checked out the library book, downloaded epubs from Gutenberg and added those and books from Smashwords. And still the Nook charges fine for me.
Old 07-14-2010, 10:09 PM   #21
sashusmom
Enthusiast
sashusmom once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sashusmom once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sashusmom once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sashusmom once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sashusmom once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sashusmom once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sashusmom once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sashusmom once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sashusmom once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sashusmom once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sashusmom once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iphone 3gs-(JB), asus 1000h, e-ink nook, libre pro, Wht PDN, Huawei s7
Wink I solved my battery problems

I had real battery drain issues after I finally got a good nook that had a working charging system. I seemed to be only holding a 100% charge for 1 day before it got critically low ( nook on sleep).

I read on the nook devs site that if you rooted your nook and used trook than you need to manually go to the settings in trook and manually exit the app. Turning off WiFi does not do it. The battery will still think its on wifi.

The minute I manually turned off trook my battery problems stopped. Now I only lose 2-3 % when on sleep for 12 hrs. It use to be 50-75%. It is at 91% and It's been on sleep for 2 days. Used very little. So Hooray!!! Battery problem solved.
sashusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 12:50 PM   #22
avol2
avol2 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle & Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larken View Post
Has anyone had any issues with the Nook WiFi charging? It gives the amber light like it is charging, but it never charges whether on the wall or a computer. I ask because I bought my wife a Nook WiFi and had the exact same issue. Being a computer tech for 14 years, I went through the normal things like using a different cable or different charging sources. After I did a factory reset, it started charging again but after I reloaded everything, it stopped. I took mine back to a store and they exchanged it for a new one. Lo and behold, it was charging fine last night until I loaded three books on it and synced it with Adobe Digital Editions. Now, this morning, amber light but not charging. As crazy as it sounds, it seems like the authorization of Adobe Digital Editions is what is making it stop charging. It was at this point on the previous unit that it stopped charging as well.
I am having the same issues... and the battery doesnt seem to last at all...
and two days later it is dead again, I have the 3G/wifi version

Last edited by avol2; 02-07-2011 at 01:08 PM.
avol2 is offline   Reply With Quote