Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: What color should the bezels of an ereader be?
Black 71 56.80%
Gray 17 13.60%
White 27 21.60%
Gold 3 2.40%
Silver 3 2.40%
Yellow 2 1.60%
Orange 4 3.20%
Red 8 6.40%
Green 6 4.80%
Blue 11 8.80%
Pink 3 2.40%
Purple 5 4.00%
Beige 2 1.60%
Multicolored 7 5.60%
Something else 1 0.80%
I don't care 23 18.40%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 125. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-26-2023, 11:19 AM   #1
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
What color should the bezels of an ereader be?

Following a discussion about a possible new device in the Kobo forum, it would be interesting to know how many people prefer the traditional black bezels and how many want something else.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2023, 11:22 AM   #2
Martinoptic
Bibliolater
Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I voted I don’t care so long - as it isn’t a distraction from the screen.
Martinoptic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-26-2023, 11:29 AM   #3
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Back in the day, when resolution was markedly worse and screens weren't lit, the received wisdom was that black bezels were best, because the contrast made the background look whiter and the text to pop more. Now, it seems to me, logic would say you might as well have a white bezel that blends more or less with the background and lets you push out the margins, mimicking "real pages". I find the latter persuasive myself, but the only white bezel I own is the Kobo Mini, which of course is the exact opposite -- poor resolution and no light.

In fact, I don't really care. The only time I did care was with two Sony X50s, where they had the shiny silver bezels. In those two cases I broke my rule and bought a skin* for the surround, because the reflection was offputting.

*I don't get spending money on skins. They're just a distraction. And they're insanely expensive!
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2023, 11:33 AM   #4
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
*I don't get spending money on skins. They're just a distraction. And they're insanely expensive!
Personally I agree with this, but obviously many people like them. Then again, my dislike might have something to do with the fact that I'm absolutely unable to put a skin on any device without creases.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2023, 11:39 AM   #5
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
I voted that I don't care. But maybe I should change it. I really like the look of the Kindle Basic in denim blue. Enough that I considered buying one even though I have no use for a Kindle and never use the one I was given.

If there were a red reader, I'd likely buy it.

I've considered getting a red skin for my Clara, but:
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-26-2023, 11:58 AM   #6
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
I voted I don't care. Unless the bezel is distracting as issybird mentioned with the shiny silver bezel, I can't see the bezel as affecting my reading enjoyment.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2023, 12:27 PM   #7
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Shiny is poorer than matte?
I do have a shiny alloy Sony PRS-350 (curiously not too distracting) and an all white Y-ben P47L (discolouring badly). The Kindle DXG and Kindle K3 are both matte dark grey (hence "Graphite") which is nice, but all the others are black. Screen quality, size (for purpose) and not too heavy.

My black bezel Toshiba TV is more annoying than a silver Sony TV I saw because it's very shiny and large at the bottom, so a reading lamp reflects off it. I'll maybe attack it with very fine grit sanding paper.

White plastic can get shabby quickly and the rubbery finishes discolour badly if pale.

I think the size of margin affects how distracting or not a bezel is.

Last edited by Quoth; 10-26-2023 at 12:29 PM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2023, 12:35 PM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I voted Something else. A matte, mute color (black, Dk Blue, Grey come to mind). OTOH Brite or glossy should be (seriously ) avoided.

FWIW Bezels mostly take the place of page Margins (I use a small value to allow for screen positioning ( Overscan was what we adjusted for back in CRT days)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2023, 12:39 PM   #9
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Vantablack
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2023, 12:45 PM   #10
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler
Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NST, Kobo Mini
… like my dreams; red, gold and green…
Calenorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2023, 12:54 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I had a red Sony Reader PRS-505. I liked the color.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2023, 01:06 PM   #12
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
Vantablack
Too light
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2023, 01:20 PM   #13
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Matte black and thin would be my preference the Sage and Libra come close though I’d love for all sides to be a bit thinner especially the button side. I would prefer a more matte and darker black than these two models have, I wasn’t fully kidding about wanting darker than vanta black realistically something approaching it would be great.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2023, 02:33 PM   #14
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Pink, like my old Sony PRS-350 (yes, I purchased at B&H New York for delivering to Spain just because it was pink). But really, any bright color would be ok, I really LOATHE the black and white devices.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2023, 04:05 PM   #15
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
In general, I don't care. There are some colors I wouldn't like. Lime Green, Neon Yellow, Pink, Florescent colors, ...

I would prefer it if the bezel matches the front facing color of the reader.

I think. I may change my mind if I see something else I like.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote