Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > KOReader

Notices

Old 12-02-2022, 02:57 PM   #421
Frenzie
Wizard
Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Onyx is supported as well as it can be supported. It's regular Android plus a custom E Ink driver. But no, I doubt any of us will be very inclined to create and compile a custom ROM for Onyx. Basically you need LineageOS people, not KOReader people (except insofar as there's an overlap; it's not strictly impossible that LineageOS is using a few lines I once wrote for CyanogenMod, but I assume they're not).
Frenzie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 06:31 PM   #422
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Keep in mind that KOReader on Android is a bit of a magic trick to begin with, you should *never* expect it to behave like any other application. It has more in common with a custom game engine and input loop than an Android application.

The more the vendor deviates from stock Android behavior and "standards" (inasmuch as Android/AOSP itself actually has/keeps/honors its own standards itself, hohum) and relies on custom hackery to make stuff appear to behave on eInk (which is hard, Android is very much *not* designed for this), the likelier it becomes that weird shit will go wonky. Onyx stuff has a long and varied history of being *very* broken on that front.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 12-02-2022 at 06:34 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-03-2022, 01:23 PM   #423
Rand Brittain
Bookmaker
Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Opus
I don't think anybody is asking you to create a custom ROM (although an e-paper LineageOS would be pretty boss); I'm just trying to evaluate how seriously I should take one dev's advice to return my device, particularly since it looks like the return window for that device is probably going to expire before another version of KOreader comes out that adds it to the list, which another poster suggests may fix the issue (seems reasonable, since other, nearly-identical Onyx models don't have it).
Rand Brittain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 05:01 PM   #424
Frenzie
Wizard
Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The other poster is the same one who said you should return it, for the record. :P

The special E Ink driver does a few things that a normal Android app might do, therefore there's a chance it'll resolve the problem as an unintended side effect. If the problem is that it's going into standby, anyway.
Old 12-04-2022, 01:48 PM   #425
Rand Brittain
Bookmaker
Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenzie View Post
The other poster is the same one who said you should return it, for the record. :P

The special E Ink driver does a few things that a normal Android app might do, therefore there's a chance it'll resolve the problem as an unintended side effect. If the problem is that it's going into standby, anyway.
Fair enough! Is there any chance I could get my hands on a test build that has that within the device's return window? I could probably manage to successfully build from source if that's absolutely necessary, and I don't want to demand too much of you, but I would certainly appreciate it if so.
Advert
Old 12-05-2022, 01:19 PM   #426
pazos
cosiñeiro
pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BQ Cervantes 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rand Brittain View Post
Fair enough! Is there any chance I could get my hands on a test build that has that within the device's return window? I could probably manage to successfully build from source if that's absolutely necessary, and I don't want to demand too much of you, but I would certainly appreciate it if so.
If you have a couple of days you can test a future nightly and see if that solves your issue.
pazos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 07:56 PM   #427
Clevider
Clevider began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libre
Is there a 64-bit version of Koreader for Android and if so, where is it? I recently upgraded from a Pixel 6 to a 7 and ca no longer install Koreader because the package "isn't compatible" with my phone. In googling the error message, I get the impression that it's because the Pixel 7 is 64-bit-only.

To be clear, the error is after downloading koreader-android-arm-v2022.11.apk from Github, although I tried the x86 version afterwards just to be sure. I also tried F-Droid; when I search for "Koreader," I'm told "no versions compatible with device."
Clevider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 06:41 AM   #428
pazos
cosiñeiro
pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevider View Post
Is there a 64-bit version of Koreader for Android and if so, where is it? I recently upgraded from a Pixel 6 to a 7 and ca no longer install Koreader because the package "isn't compatible" with my phone. In googling the error message, I get the impression that it's because the Pixel 7 is 64-bit-only.

To be clear, the error is after downloading koreader-android-arm-v2022.11.apk from Github, although I tried the x86 version afterwards just to be sure. I also tried F-Droid; when I search for "Koreader," I'm told "no versions compatible with device."
There's a working port but wasn't released yet. It should be available in v2022.12 for both github/rocks/ota and fdroid.

In the meantime you can use a slightly old build from https://github.com/koreader/koreader...ent-1284721776
Old 12-08-2022, 11:21 AM   #429
pazos
cosiñeiro

Quote:
Originally Posted by pazos View Post
There's a working port but wasn't released yet. It should be available in v2022.12 for both github/rocks/ota and fdroid.

In the meantime you can use a slightly old build from https://github.com/koreader/koreader...ent-1284721776
If you choose to use that build you'll need to uninstall the APK before installing the future official one since signatures don't match.
Old 12-19-2022, 10:21 PM   #430
Rand Brittain
Bookmaker

Sadly, it looks like the performance on the home folder with the Nova Air 2 and Tab Ultra is even worse on the latest nightlies, somehow. It's mysterious because this doesn't happen in any other program (not that I've installed that many) or even anywhere else in KOreader.

Does anybody who was looking at the code have any advice on what how I should describe the problem when I submit a bug report to Onyx? I have no idea what's going on under the hood. (Nor does it seem likely that the bug report will do me personally any good, but there's no point fooling around with weird devices if you aren't going to conscientiously report bugs.)
Old 12-20-2022, 04:56 PM   #431
pazos
cosiñeiro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rand Brittain View Post
Sadly, it looks like the performance on the home folder with the Nova Air 2 and Tab Ultra is even worse on the latest nightlies, somehow. It's mysterious because this doesn't happen in any other program (not that I've installed that many) or even anywhere else in KOreader.

Does anybody who was looking at the code have any advice on what how I should describe the problem when I submit a bug report to Onyx? I have no idea what's going on under the hood. (Nor does it seem likely that the bug report will do me personally any good, but there's no point fooling around with weird devices if you aren't going to conscientiously report bugs.)
Hi, you're not alone, it seems. Have a look at https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...80&postcount=9 and following posts.

Just tell them what happens. That issue didn't happen in any other previous model as far as I know. Just the two you currently have.

If KO is important for you then please return them or wait for a vendor fix. We cannot fix what seems like a broken firmware.

If you can live without KO and applications using SAF are not broken then I guess you can keep them.
Old 12-20-2022, 08:43 PM   #432
Rand Brittain
Bookmaker

Huh, that does seem like the same issue. Thanks for the link!
Old 01-26-2023, 05:56 PM   #433
nmyshkin
Enthusiast
nmyshkin can extract oil from cheesenmyshkin can extract oil from cheesenmyshkin can extract oil from cheesenmyshkin can extract oil from cheesenmyshkin can extract oil from cheesenmyshkin can extract oil from cheesenmyshkin can extract oil from cheesenmyshkin can extract oil from cheese

Device: Nook Simple Touch (2), Nook Simple Touch w/Glowlight (2)
Quote:
Patches welcome to make the UI more complete. In the mean time if you want to have full sensor behaviour you'll need a patch.lua with something like

Code:
local ffi = require("ffi")
local android = require("android")
local C = ffi.C
android.orientation.set(C.ASCREEN_ORIENTATION_FULL_SENSOR)
placed in /sdcard/koreader
I've tried to figure out exactly how this information should be included. Do I insert this text between {} in a format such as defaults.custom.lua or is there more to be done?

I tried what I described above with no effect. Some syntactical elements missing? Some other file name? Some?

Edit: See here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...47&postcount=5

Last edited by nmyshkin; 01-29-2023 at 01:08 PM. Reason: Solution found
nmyshkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 11:37 AM   #434
mkozlows
Enthusiast
mkozlows ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mkozlows ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mkozlows ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mkozlows ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mkozlows ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mkozlows ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mkozlows ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mkozlows ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mkozlows ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mkozlows ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mkozlows ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage/KOReader
Quote:
I don't see the 64-bit Android build linked in the announcement for 2023.01; am I missing something, or did it not make the cut?
mkozlows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 06:01 PM   #435
Frenzie
Wizard

It wasn't done yet. It's up now.