Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 01-25-2022, 01:19 PM   #1
hengyu
Enthusiast
hengyu began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2016
[Kindle] Sideloaded covers being removed AFTER the usual procedure with Calibre

Some time ago Amazon pushed an update that caused sideloaded books to lose their covers (if you're connected to the internet).

Then, Calibre pushed an update that allowed us to recover those lost covers by connecting the Kindle to Calibre again, and that had worked perfectly for the past many months.

Today I'm encountering a new problem where it would seem like some of the recovered covers are lost again. I can't recreate the problem exactly - some of the covers remain fixed, and some of them are lost repeatedly.

Anyone else having the same problems?
hengyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 09:43 AM   #2
markvdvelde
Connoisseur
markvdvelde began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by hengyu View Post

Today I'm encountering a new problem where it would seem like some of the recovered covers are lost again. I can't recreate the problem exactly - some of the covers remain fixed, and some of them are lost repeatedly.

Yep, same problem here, since a few weeks. I restored my Kindle Paperwhite to factory settings, but that didn't help at all. If you found a solution already, please let me know!

Last edited by markvdvelde; 04-03-2022 at 09:52 AM.
markvdvelde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 10:19 AM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
The only sure way is to keep your kindle in airplane mode, then amazon cant pull its shenanigans.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 10:35 PM   #4
Tzar
World War II buff
Tzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by hengyu View Post
Some time ago Amazon pushed an update that caused sideloaded books to lose their covers (if you're connected to the internet).

Then, Calibre pushed an update that allowed us to recover those lost covers by connecting the Kindle to Calibre again, and that had worked perfectly for the past many months.

Same here. I've found an haphazard way of making them stick by repeatedly plugging and unplugging the Kindle out of Calibre like 5 or 6 times, opening the books, going back to the home screen, opening them again, going back... I eventually get the covers to stick by this random method. It's total madness.

Unfortunately, because I am using my Kindle to learn other languages, I sometimes need to use the translator function of the Kindle so keeping it in airplane mode all the time isn't really an option for me.
Tzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 04:57 PM   #5
Les Kern
Les Kern began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
The only sure way is to keep your kindle in airplane mode, then amazon cant pull its shenanigans.
Well this has got me stumped... I love my Kindle, but their "shenanigans" is making me crazy.
I have thousands of books and documents, all dutifully set with complete metadata and covers. Just the other day, NO covers were sticking. None. Zero.
I have tried every method for correcting this, to no avail (and I have read them all, even the crazy ones). The file on the Kindle called "amazon-cover-bug" stopped adding thumbnails at the last good entry. I copied and deleted it, thinking a new one would be generated, but that didn't work.
I can't bear the thought of doing a factory reset, then taking the DAYS to re-upload with no guarantee that it would work.
Do I need to give up my Oasis due to my OCD-related issue on seeing a cover?
Les Kern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 06:01 PM   #6
Bookstooge
Guru
Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 1st Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Kern View Post
Well this has got me stumped... I love my Kindle, but their "shenanigans" is making me crazy.
I have thousands of books and documents, all dutifully set with complete metadata and covers. Just the other day, NO covers were sticking. None. Zero.
I have tried every method for correcting this, to no avail (and I have read them all, even the crazy ones). The file on the Kindle called "amazon-cover-bug" stopped adding thumbnails at the last good entry. I copied and deleted it, thinking a new one would be generated, but that didn't work.
I can't bear the thought of doing a factory reset, then taking the DAYS to re-upload with no guarantee that it would work.
Do I need to give up my Oasis due to my OCD-related issue on seeing a cover?
No need to give up the Oasis. Just keep it in airplane mode like Kovid suggested.
Bookstooge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 06:16 PM   #7
Les Kern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookstooge View Post
No need to give up the Oasis. Just keep it in airplane mode like Kovid suggested.
I haven't taken it out of airplane mode recently, last time was when the Kindle had an update and I had several thousand fewer books and documents. That was months ago.
Like I said, I've tried everything.
Except a reset, which I dread.
Old 04-29-2022, 04:12 AM   #8
markvdvelde
Connoisseur
markvdvelde began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Kern View Post
Like I said, I've tried everything.
Except a reset, which I dread.
No need to do a reset. I did, and it had zero effect. I now send mobi files to my Kindle via email. These are recognised as "personal documents", meaning Amazon won't try to replace the covers. I don't see any other solution yet.
markvdvelde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 09:38 AM   #9
Joliet Jake
Zealot
Joliet Jake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joliet Jake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joliet Jake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joliet Jake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joliet Jake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joliet Jake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joliet Jake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joliet Jake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joliet Jake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joliet Jake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joliet Jake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
If you use AZW files (and polish the covers) do you still run into this problem?
Joliet Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 10:21 AM   #10
Les Kern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joliet Jake View Post
If you use AZW files (and polish the covers) do you still run into this problem?
I use ASW and polish, no go.
I was using MOBI before this started happening and never had an issue till now. I changed to AZW just to see if that would fix it.

It didn't.
Old 04-29-2022, 04:33 PM   #11
Les Kern

Quote:
Originally Posted by markvdvelde View Post
No need to do a reset. I did, and it had zero effect. I now send mobi files to my Kindle via email. These are recognised as "personal documents", meaning Amazon won't try to replace the covers. I don't see any other solution yet.
I'd rather not turn off airplane mode, but I suppose at this point I could try it.
Old 04-30-2022, 12:57 PM   #12
MikeFL
MikeFL began at the beginning.

Device: Paperwhite 10th gen.
I was not aware this was an issue, and somehow stumbled upon the subject. I have been on wifi all the while with seemingly the only issue was to connect and disconnect, repeat a couple of times if needed and I was good. (Always AZW3 files) - If the idea is now to stay in airplane mode, I'm fine with that of course. How will we know when firmware updates are available and can we pop on to wifi just to get the update, go back to airplane mode and everything will be intact? Thanks.
MikeFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2022, 03:12 PM   #13
Les Kern

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeFL View Post
I was not aware this was an issue, and somehow stumbled upon the subject. I have been on wifi all the while with seemingly the only issue was to connect and disconnect, repeat a couple of times if needed and I was good. (Always AZW3 files) - If the idea is now to stay in airplane mode, I'm fine with that of course. How will we know when firmware updates are available and can we pop on to wifi just to get the update, go back to airplane mode and everything will be intact? Thanks.
Just to get updates it hasn't been an issue in the past, at least for me. The tried-and-true method, if and when the covers disappear, is to just re-attach and eject. They always came back up until my little kerfluffle, the subject of this thread.

Now for the good news: I'm back in operation.
I first went to my mac, and the same thing happened with no covers on all newly added books. Obviously it's the Kindle.
NOTHING worked before on my main computer, so I bit the bullet and did a factory reset of the Oasis, and, to be sure, I deleted Calibre and its registry entries, just so I was starting from known good components.
The second I plugged it in, it did the transfers in record time, and when I ejected the Kindle after adding the first 1,000, the covers popped right back up. AND, to test it, I took it off Airplane Mode to do an update, and the covers remained. (I put it right back on AM, of course!)
And the better news... transfer speeds are really, REALLY fast now. I did those first 1,000 books in about 4 minutes. Before this just a few books took that long.

So my lessons learned:
1: If there are issues, it's the Kindle. Calibre is solid. (Just make sure to use the 64-bit version)
2: Don't be afraid to factory reset. It's pretty painless even with the immense number of books I have.
3. AZW3 or any other formats DO NOT work as well as EPUB to MOBI for me. Mileage may vary, but I am sticking with MOBI on the Kindle.

Thanks to all for helping me out here, I truly appreciate the time you gave.
Old 05-01-2022, 07:36 PM   #14
Les Kern

Postscript: After adding the books, the Kindle has been indexing for two days now.
Old 05-05-2024, 03:44 PM   #15
vranger
vranger began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
I can confirm that converting your file to epub and emailing it to your Kindle will result in the cover image displaying in the Kindle menu. I just did it with my Scribe. They'll sync to your device within a very few minutes. It was three or four for me. I did it a few times for different groups of my own manuscripts.
vranger is offline   Reply With Quote