Yes, sometimes. 17 13.71%
Yes, but only to fix issues 32 25.81%
No. 32 25.81%
Other (specify) 9 7.26%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 124. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-05-2024, 08:58 PM   #106
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpicyPoison View Post
Images.
In epub I have them center aligned. After converting, when I read in kindle, they stick to left.

Also dropcaps. In epubs, the first letter of chapter is very big and covers first three lines in size. But kindle device doesn't understand this beautiful formatting and first letter is same size as other. How should I format my dropcaps so they look big and covers first 3 lines.

Line height. I also write my daily diary entries in epub format. I use a font family of my own handwriting for this. But this font generates 3 times more line spacing in kindle device. In calibre preview it's fine. But in kindle the line spacing is very large for my diary.
I am using calibre 7.10. I just converted an eBook with centered graphics and viewing the KF8 eBook in the calibre viewer, the graphics are centered.

I just converted an eBook with dropcaps and the dropcaps look the same with the calibre viewer.

As for the line height, that's a Kindle issue. Amazon likes to force a large line height even when using the smallest settings. However, you can edit the metadata in the font and that will reduce the line height with KF8 only. I've done it ChareInk/ChareInk6/ChareInk6SP and it works perfectly well. The problem is I don't remember which metadata setting you need to adjust fto change the line height on a Kindle. But you can have a look at the font if you want to to see if you can figure it out.

Here is the link to download the font. https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=184056
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2024, 10:30 PM   #107
SpicyPoison
SpicyPoison began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post

I just converted an eBook with dropcaps and the dropcaps look the same with the calibre viewer.
It look same in calibre preview. But not in kindle device.
SpicyPoison is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-05-2024, 11:58 PM   #108
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I don't mean to be stupid but does the calibre viewer natively support KF8 or is it using calibre to create an Epub format and viewing it?

Sent from my Pixel 7a using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2024, 05:13 AM   #109
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
I don't mean to be stupid but does the calibre viewer natively support KF8 or is it using calibre to create an Epub format and viewing it?

Sent from my Pixel 7a using Tapatalk
Even if calibre was converting from KF8 to ePub to then view, it's getting the code from the KF8.
Old 05-06-2024, 05:17 AM   #110
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpicyPoison View Post
It look same in calibre preview. But not in kindle device.
Is your Kindle on the latest firmware?
Advert
Old 05-06-2024, 11:43 AM   #111
Gormagon
monstrous mythical beast
Gormagon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gormagon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gormagon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gormagon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gormagon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gormagon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gormagon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gormagon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gormagon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gormagon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gormagon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Tab Ultra C, Meebook P78 Pro, TCL 40Nxtpaper, TCL Nxtpaper11
I chose "no". Since editing wasn't specified I assume editing means changing something in the epub container.
I do change margins, line height, font size et cetera on the reading apps on my mobile devices though. For me that's not editing of ebooks, just an optimising of using the available space of the screens on the mobile devices.
Gormagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2024, 05:51 PM   #112
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
Why would you edit? we do not have permission from authors to edit their work.
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2024, 06:15 PM   #113
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HLS View Post
We edit the formatting (the code) of the book, not the text.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2024, 07:47 PM   #114
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Theoretically, do we need permission (if it is for personal use)?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2024, 09:20 PM   #115
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Where did you get that from? Are you trying to conflate changing the formatting of the text with the text itself? Are you trying to say that the author has rights to the code used to format the text even if the author has little to nothing to do with that code?
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2024, 09:25 PM   #116
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Theoretically, do we need permission (if it is for personal use)?
If you are changing the text in an epub file? Yes, in theory, you would need permission for that even for personal use. Changing the formatting of the text? That is often not created by the author if it is done by a publisher or service house and would not require permission to modify unless a copyright notice is included in and for the stylesheets or other human readable bits of formatting text.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2024, 07:02 AM   #117
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
If you are changing the text in an epub file? Yes, in theory, you would need permission for that even for personal use. Changing the formatting of the text? That is often not created by the author if it is done by a publisher or service house and would not require permission to modify unless a copyright notice is included in and for the stylesheets or other human readable bits of formatting text.
I was under the impression that once something is "written" it is copyrighted, regardless of a written copyright notice?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2024, 08:38 AM   #118
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
The copyright to code belongs to the author of the code to an author who is using that code.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2024, 08:40 AM   #119
Cactus Chef
Addict
Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Clara HD, Galaxy Tab S5e, Kindle 4th Gen
Quote:
If I tear a page out of a paperback book, have I violated that author's copyright?
Cactus Chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2024, 09:31 AM   #120
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Either:
  1. The author is not the one putting the book together and therefore is not responsible for the awful formatting. Or
  2. The author did attempt to put the ebook together, which explains everything.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote