Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 03-29-2021, 02:35 PM   #1
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Old Simple Touch - Sticky Plastic

I am trying to clean up some of my old devices to see if I can donate them to the Children's hospital here. I have two old Nook Simple Touch readers that are in great condition.... except that the plastic feels sticky. Most solutions to cleaning sticky plastic involve baking soda and I would rather not risk damaging the device. Anyone got any good ideas on how to clean the sticky backs?
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 06:38 PM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrangerhere View Post
I am trying to clean up some of my old devices to see if I can donate them to the Children's hospital here. I have two old Nook Simple Touch readers that are in great condition.... except that the plastic feels sticky. Most solutions to cleaning sticky plastic involve baking soda and I would rather not risk damaging the device. Anyone got any good ideas on how to clean the sticky backs?
Last time I was cleaning up an external DVD drive, I used hand sanitizer (Purell) and a coarse towel. Put a few drops on, cleaned the area, repeat over entire plastic surface.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-29-2021, 07:42 PM   #3
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
I don't know about cleaning it, but maybe just use a little talcum powder to get rid of the stickiness. But if you are donating it it may not be the solution.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 11:37 PM   #4
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
I don't know about cleaning it, but maybe just use a little talcum powder to get rid of the stickiness. But if you are donating it it may not be the solution.
I tried talcum powder once. About a week later, the plastic was just as sticky. If I was selling cheap with a no refunds, no returns, I might try talcum again.
Old 03-30-2021, 05:00 AM   #5
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
...I have two old Nook Simple Touch readers that are in great condition.... except that the plastic feels sticky. Most solutions to cleaning sticky plastic involve baking soda and I would rather not risk damaging the device. Anyone got any good ideas on how to clean the sticky backs?
I wouldn't use baking soda. I've got a Nook Simple Touch with the same issue. I found that it's very, very easy to gouge it with anything that scrubs. I don't have a good solution, except find a a decent case that covers most of the surfaces. (Probably not what you want to do for an item you would like to donate.) I also have an Astak EZReader Pocket Pro with the exact same issue. It's frustrating because it's in great condition otherwise. And its battery life is still amazing.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-30-2021, 06:00 AM   #6
Tuneraider
Connoisseur
Tuneraider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tuneraider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tuneraider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tuneraider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tuneraider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tuneraider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tuneraider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tuneraider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tuneraider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tuneraider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tuneraider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Kindle, Tolino, Nook
If you haven't already I would try rubbing alcohol plus it would be a good disinfectant.
Tuneraider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 06:32 AM   #7
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
I tried talcum powder once. About a week later, the plastic was just as sticky. If I was selling cheap with a no refunds, no returns, I might try talcum again.
I had an old digital camera where the grips got very sticky. Talcum solved the problem, but I used a lot of talcum it wasn't pretty, and I wasn't picky.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 12:51 PM   #8
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I wouldn't use baking soda. I've got a Nook Simple Touch with the same issue.
Mine never got sticky. I keep them in the neoprene zip pouches B&N used to sell when the Nook STs were new. I wonder if that is what kept them from getting sticky?

(Sorry I don't have a solution for you. It just got me to wondering...)
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 01:20 PM   #9
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuneraider View Post
If you haven't already I would try rubbing alcohol plus it would be a good disinfectant.
Pretty much what Purell is made from. Purell is more of a gel so it doesn't tend to run all over the place.
Old 03-30-2021, 02:06 PM   #10
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Mine never got sticky. I keep them in the neoprene zip pouches B&N used to sell when the Nook STs were new. I wonder if that is what kept them from getting sticky?

(Sorry I don't have a solution for you. It just got me to wondering...)
No, this one has always been stored in the same neoprene case. Branded and everything.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 08:07 PM   #11
rem736
purpose priority passion
rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350, b&n ngp, rM2, kindle scribe, boox poke5
this rubbery/plastic material was/is used in a lot of consumer electronics. i had a router that had the same issue. it takes years to deteriorate to the sticky state it's in. and from what i can tell, it's the temperature that determines the level of deterioration. the higher the temperature, the faster it gets sticky. my router sat in a second story room of a house that experiences summers in the mid 80s to 90s (fahrenheit) in the afternoons and sat there for years.

i used a cleaner called "goo gone" to remove the sticky residue (smells like nail polish remover or paint thinner). but i also hear there's a home-made concoction of backing soda and coconut oil that would work.
rem736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 11:19 PM   #12
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
No, this one has always been stored in the same neoprene case. Branded and everything.
Now you've got me nervous

I had to go into the office yesterday. First time in months. My Microsoft Arc mouse felt very sticky. I wiped it down with a damp paper towel and that seemed to help.

Fun fact, when I flatten the mouse, it reminds me of the phasers from Star Trek: TNG.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote