Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 08-13-2020, 09:45 AM   #1
miteff
miteff began at the beginning.

Device: Nook BNRV300
Motherboard replacement Nook Simple Touch / GlowLight

I did the following test - I put a motherboard from Nook Simple Touch Glowlight model BNRV350 rev.2.01 to body of Nook Simple Touch model BNRV300. A menu for activating the glowlight is displayed, but the actual screen did not light up. Apparently the reader's body has other things that illuminate the screen. Does anyone know who they are and is this replacement possible?
miteff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 11:50 AM   #2
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by miteff View Post
I did the following test - I put a motherboard from Nook Simple Touch Glowlight model BNRV350 rev.2.01 to body of Nook Simple Touch model BNRV300. A menu for activating the glowlight is displayed, but the actual screen did not light up. Apparently the reader's body has other things that illuminate the screen. Does anyone know who they are and is this replacement possible?
I don't know the technicalities. But Nook Simple Touch With Glowlight has LEDs. The older Nook Simple Touch doesn't.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-14-2020, 04:51 AM   #3
miteff

Yes, I know there is LEDs, but aren't they at the motherboard or are they in the body?
Old 08-14-2020, 12:22 PM   #4
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by miteff View Post
Yes, I know there is LEDs, but aren't they at the motherboard or are they in the body?
They could be at the motherboard with light guides to bring their light up to the top of the screen sandwich or mounted in the body at the level of the top of the screen. The screen itself has another light guide that is designed to diffuse the light from the LEDs evenly across the screen. Remember that an eInk screen is opaque so you need a frontlight not a backlight.

Since the Nook Simple Touch does not have that light guide layer, it's not going to work.

I've attached an image with a sample of a display light guide.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gwheeew.png
Views:	315
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	181341  
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 02:53 AM   #5
miteff

Thanks for the answers, obviously you can't just change the motherboard to another body.
Advert