Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-04-2020, 12:00 AM   #1
meo_map13
meo_map13 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O v2
[FONT] How to enable Advanced Option for sideload fonts (without root) ?

Dear,
It's me again, trying to explore my Kobo Clara and some new tricks.

I copy some customized fonts (.ttf) into "fonts" folder, adjust the conf. file in ".Kobo" folder as GeoffR's guidance for Freedom to Advanced font control by adding readingFontWeight and readingFontSharpnes to the [Reading] section in Device .conf file as attached photo.

However while reading my kepub ebook, it's still no show Advanced option. I've tried all Fonts family in here
https://drive.google.c o m/drive/folders/1w_801KjW1ga5ASR4VxZy1_Uj5JCjkb34?usp=sharing

but seems nothing happens.
Could you please help with any solution/fix besides patching the Kobo Clara?
Thank you very much.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kobo Advanced option.png
Views:	247
Size:	223.8 KB
ID:	183767  
meo_map13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 03:15 AM   #2
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Why don't you want to patch? That's the easiest way and it's also completely reversible.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-04-2020, 12:29 PM   #3
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo_map13 View Post
but seems nothing happens.
Could you please help with any solution/fix besides patching the Kobo Clara?
Thank you very much.
The entries in the .conf file are a way of manually changing the weight but the key word there is manual, they do not enable the Advanced font controls. The only way I am aware of to enable the Advanced font controls for all fonts is to patch the firmware.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 08:40 PM   #4
meo_map13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Why don't you want to patch? That's the easiest way and it's also completely reversible.
The issue here is I already mod my Clara to 128 GB for ebooks and manga. I know patching the system will expand more function but come together with the risk that bricks and loses all my resources. Thank you anyway. I may try to patch it.
Old 12-04-2020, 08:42 PM   #5
meo_map13

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
The entries in the .conf file are a way of manually changing the weight but the key word there is manual, they do not enable the Advanced font controls. The only way I am aware of to enable the Advanced font controls for all fonts is to patch the firmware.
Thank you very much for your kind reply. I'll find a way to backup my 128gb of ebook and manga. Then, I may try it.
Advert
Old 12-08-2020, 03:51 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
The issue here is I already mod my Clara to 128 GB for ebooks and manga. I know patching the system will expand more function but come together with the risk that bricks and loses all my resources. Thank you anyway. I may try to patch it.
I have never read of anyone bricking because of patching. I have patched many times and never a single brick.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 03:52 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Thank you very much for your kind reply. I'll find a way to backup my 128gb of ebook and manga. Then, I may try it.
Plug in your Kobo and copy the visible partition and you have a backup. It's that easy.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 09:37 PM   #8
meo_map13

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Plug in your Kobo and copy the visible partition and you have a backup. It's that easy.
Thank you my friend. It's nearly 128 Gb, so I plan to buy a new mobile hdd to backup also. Waiting for the year end promotion.