Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 01-02-2024, 06:23 AM   #16
Michal Jancik
Sorry for my English
Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KOBO.PocketBook.ONYX
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisridd View Post
Is there a list anywhere of the actual CPU models used in each Pocketbook? PocketBook is very vague, and their FCC tests don't seem to include internal photos of the devices. At least with Kobo and Onyx we can derive some details from those internal photos.
For the list of used processors in Pocketbook books, look at this basic list

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PocketBook_International
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cpu.png
Views:	84
Size:	204.7 KB
ID:	205531  

Last edited by issybird; 01-02-2024 at 07:48 AM.
Michal Jancik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2024, 06:35 AM   #17
chrisridd
Guru
chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura ONE, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Yes indeed, I've been trying to keep that Wikipedia page up to date :-)
chrisridd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2024, 07:31 AM   #18
Michal Jancik
Sorry for my English
Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Yes indeed, I've been trying to keep that Wikipedia page up to date :-)
Because you created and updated that list? Good work Chris indeed

On one well-known website that deals with book readers "Go****reader.com/, it states that the Inkpad4 has Bluettoth 5.0, but in reality I think that the maximum support is 4.0

Inkpad 4 has a 10 year old RTL8761ATV BLUETOOTH 2.1/3.0/4.0 CONTROLLER, UART INTERFACE chip worth price 1.5$ of dolars on the motherboard, according to datasheet the maximum support is 4.0.

https://datasheet.lcsc.com/lcsc/2106...G_C2686914.pdf

Last edited by Michal Jancik; 01-02-2024 at 07:50 AM.
Old 01-03-2024, 04:50 AM   #19
Loopscoop
Loopscoop began at the beginning.

Device: Inkpad 4, kindle pw 1
Does anyone know if the kaleido 3 in the inkpad color 3 is as good for black and white reading as the carta 1200? Would there be any obvious drawbacks to the inkpad color 3 vs inkpad 4 for black and white reading?

Does the improved hardware and more recent linux kernel on the inkpad color 3 improve the contrast vs inkpad 4?
Loopscoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2024, 08:05 AM   #20
Michal Jancik
Sorry for my English

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loopscoop View Post
Does anyone know if the kaleido 3 in the inkpad color 3 is as good for black and white reading as the carta 1200? Would there be any obvious drawbacks to the inkpad color 3 vs inkpad 4 for black and white reading?

Does the improved hardware and more recent linux kernel on the inkpad color 3 improve the contrast vs inkpad 4?
  • A color book reader is not exactly more suitable for someone looking for a Reader exclusively for reading books.
  • As for the "Kernel" etc., you don't have to deal with it at all, it's just a kernel with extended support for some E-INK displays or OS, you don't have to pay attention to it at all. ]As an end user, you don't have to worry about the KERNEL version or choose a reader based on its version.
    *** I am not the developer of the Kernel for B288, but the contrast on Inkpad4 or ERA will not be made by the KERNEL version, but by the protective layer of the screen (the way to pass light, reflection, etc., which has its impact on the aspect of writing.) ***
  • If you are looking for a reader, and your main requirement is a strong contrast, you should choose the Kobo Libra 2.
  • Tolino Vision 6 is also an option, but KOBO IMHO is a more reasonable choice, besides, when I tested the Tolino model, the battery (OS Android) drained very quickly (1% per minute).. Besides, if I'm not mistaken, Tolino uses the same screens as KOBO.
    .. or Pocketbook Verse PRO, which has an E-INK Carta 1200 screen and does not have a protective glass.

Last edited by Michal Jancik; 01-03-2024 at 09:42 AM.
Old 01-03-2024, 11:52 AM   #21
Loopscoop

I understand, but look at it from the perspective of someone who:
Already owns the inkpad 4 and could exchange it for an inkpad color 3 for around 40 euros more

Wants to support the semi-open model of pocketbook (no data collection, no account requirement, which I understand is difficult with Kobo and others if you plan to use the intrrnet at all, which I do)

Doesn't want the hassle of rooting/jailbreaking to install koreader etc (which I guess you have to do with kobo etc?)

Needs an 8" screen (verse is too small)
Is essentially looking for an inkpad 4 with better hardware for less sluggish performance

My understanding is the inkpad color 3 is essentially an inkpad 4 with better hardware and a larger battery, and also no protective layer over the screen, so my thinking is that if the kaleido 3 performs as well as carta 1200 for black and white (with better contrast due to no protective layer?) then the premium is worth it for the above mentioned reasons (responsiveness), and the color is just an extra (I gueas it would make art books etc more of an option).

As for the hardware+ kernel stuff, I see that the inkpad color 3 is on Linux 4.x, and thought maybe that provides some benefits wrt optimizing the OS and maybe has newer driver for the display or interfaces with it better in some way that might improve page turning, ghosting, and contrast.

Basically I think the inkpad 4 at this price is highway robbery and I feel cheated, and it should have the same specs as the Color 3.

Also, it is not clear to me if the poor contrast on the inkpad 4 is only due to the protective layer or has something to do with how pocketbook have set up the carta 1200, and whether the kaleido 3 in the color 3 performs better, and if so, why (lack of protective layer, better hardware, newer drivers in kernel 4 etc)

The price for the color 3 seems fair considering the hardware, and I see no other ereader on the market that fits my needs/wants. If the inkpad 4 had the hardware of the color 3 and better contrast it would be perfection.

Also missing pin lock but that's another story.
Old 01-03-2024, 12:04 PM   #22
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Wants to support the semi-open model of pocketbook (no data collection, no account requirement, which I understand is difficult with Kobo and others if you plan to use the intrrnet at all, which I do)

Doesn't want the hassle of rooting/jailbreaking to install koreader etc (which I guess you have to do with kobo etc?)
As to Kobos, no to both. You don't have to create an account to use your Kobo if you enable the sideloaded mode (really easy). And no, Kobos don't need any rooting or jailbreaking. Installing KOReader is just as easy on a Kobo as it is on a Pocketbook.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2024, 12:47 PM   #23
Loopscoop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
As to Kobos, no to both. You don't have to create an account to use your Kobo if you enable the sideloaded mode (really easy). And no, Kobos don't need any rooting or jailbreaking. Installing KOReader is just as easy on a Kobo as it is on a Pocketbook.
Really? Thanks for the info. I just watched Chalid Raqimi's review of the Ellipsa 2E and he said that connecting it to a kobo account is mandatory, and that you need a kobo account to use it. So I guess you can avoid that by enabling sideload mode before any initial setup with an account etc?

Sorry for hijacking the thread at any rate.
Old 01-03-2024, 01:28 PM   #24
chrisridd
Guru
chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura ONE, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
My understanding is the inkpad color 3 is essentially an inkpad 4 with better hardware and a larger battery, and also no protective layer over the screen, so my thinking is that if the kaleido 3 performs as well as carta 1200 for black and white (with better contrast due to no protective layer?) then the premium is worth it for the above mentioned reasons (responsiveness), and the color is just an extra (I gueas it would make art books etc more of an option).
Don't forget the Inkpad Color 3 has that extra colour layer which has to reduce clarity or contrast "a bit".
chrisridd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2024, 02:37 PM   #25
Michal Jancik
Sorry for my English

Quote:
Recently, the one that appealed to me the most was "ONYX BOOX PAGE "7", which uses "Aluminosilicate glass".

https://onyxboox.com/boox_page for 244$

Regarding your answer, as already noted by user "Sirtel", installing Koreader on a Kobo device is the same as in the case of a Pocketbook, basically you just copy the necessary files to the reader and run Koreader.

Afterwards I understand that purchasing Inkpad 4 leaves a bitter taste.
Kobo is a correct choice and I think that replacing Inkapd4 with Color 3 will not change your situation.

I know that the choice is not easy, that everything has its strengths and weaknesses, you will probably be condemned to tests and reviews of individual models.

Last edited by Michal Jancik; 01-03-2024 at 02:43 PM.
Old 01-03-2024, 02:46 PM   #26
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Really? Thanks for the info. I just watched Chalid Raqimi's review of the Ellipsa 2E and he said that connecting it to a kobo account is mandatory, and that you need a kobo account to use it. So I guess you can avoid that by enabling sideload mode before any initial setup with an account etc?
Yes. Enabling the sideloaded mode is done by connecting the Kobo to your computer and adding a line to the Kobo configuration file with a text editor. It's a relatively new feature, available for 2 years, so you might find a lot of outdated stuff about this online. Before the sideloaded mode it was harder to use a Kobo without an account, although you could use a throwaway email address. Kobo didn't check that. They're not paranoid about controlling their users like Amazon is.
Old 01-05-2024, 08:26 AM   #27
Loopscoop

Quote:
Don't forget the Inkpad Color 3 has that extra colour layer which has to reduce clarity or contrast "a bit".
Yes, I saw in a review that without the frontlight on, the screen is noticeably darker due to the passive color layer. It isn't entirely clear to me what causes the poor contrast with the Carta 1200 on the Inkpad 4. Is it just the anti-scratch layer, or have Pocketbook done (or not done) something in firmware or hardware that limits the display's capabilities? This is what made me wonder whether a Kaleido 3 in the Color 3 without the anti-scratch later, better hardware (and maybe optimization in firmware), despite the color layer, could perform better than the Carta 1200, if the frontlight is on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michal Jancik View Post
Recently, the one that appealed to me the most was "ONYX BOOX PAGE "7", which uses "Aluminosilicate glass".

https://onyxboox.com/boox_page for 244$

Afterwards I understand that purchasing Inkpad 4 leaves a bitter taste.
Kobo is a correct choice and I think that replacing Inkapd4 with Color 3 will not change your situation.

I know that the choice is not easy, that everything has its strengths and weaknesses, you will probably be condemned to tests and reviews of individual models.
Fair, thanks for the info. The Onyx looks very very interesting, although it is slightly smaller. It looks much more powerful (Inkpad 4 is painfully slow, highlighting takes forever and even small pdfs and larger epubs/mobis are very slow to load and page turn etc). I had reservations about Android on an ereader because I struggle to keep myself from tinkering with devices to the fullest extent, which distracts from actual work. Still, I will take a closer look at it and see if I am able to get a refund on the Inkpad 4. Thanks again for the tip.

Quote:
Yes. Enabling the sideloaded mode is done by connecting the Kobo to your computer and adding a line to the Kobo configuration file with a text editor. It's a relatively new feature, available for 2 years, so you might find a lot of outdated stuff about this online. Before the sideloaded mode it was harder to use a Kobo without an account, although you could use a throwaway email address. Kobo didn't check that. They're not paranoid about controlling their users like Amazon is.
Interesting, thank you for the info. I guess I wanted to support pocketbook because they are trying a model that doesn't try to control and track their users (like Amazon, as you mention), and while it is good that Kobo decided to "allow" users to skip account creation, the fact that it took them a while to do it, plus the "non-default" and slightly technical way of getting there speaks to their revenue model as at least partly based on data collection and vendor lock in.

Oof, imagine if pocketbook made the inkpad 4 with the same internals as the Color 3 and without the anti-scratch layer
Old 01-05-2024, 11:16 AM   #28
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
...as at least partly based on data collection and vendor lock in.
I can't speak as to data collection, but there's no vendor lock-in. You can read Kobo books on any device that supports epub.
Old 01-07-2024, 11:51 AM   #29
Loopscoop

Quote:
I can't speak as to data collection, but there's no vendor lock-in. You can read Kobo books on any device that supports epub.
Fair enough, you are correct and it seems that it's possible (though not actively encouraged) to use Kobo ereaders as fairly open and unobtrusive devices. I had the wrong impression that they were almost as locked down as Kindles.

@Michal Jancik Thank you for the tip on the Boox Page. At 7.8" and a newer version of Android (11 is nearing end of support) it would have been perfect, but I might try it anyway and see what kind of fun an Android ereader can provide (easy on-device webpage to epub comes to mind, among many other things), as the options seem limited otherwise. Edit: the My Deep Guide review was quite convincing, and it seems Boox devices are generally pretty usable.

The Inkpad 4 is going back tomorrow. Compared to all the ereaders I played with in stores it is far sleeker, unique looking, memorable in design (the flap cover is really elegant) and premium and sturdy feeling,. As you wrote in you review, it's unfortunately all external, and I ultimately felt I paid premium for design with a lack of functionality. Maybe they will make a "pro" version with upgraded internals and indented screen? One can dream. Goodbye you sweet, beautiful, but slow and grayed out screen having device you :*)